Scalescenes ARP Signal Box

traction

• RMweb Gold

The one at Broom Junction was different to this. It was the WW2 standard LMS box. My Grandad worked on the job of fitting it out when the junction was altered.

I'm not quite sure what this model represents, it has features from several types but doesn't seem to fit any particular company. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Swansea Loop West 'box was similar, as was Castle Cary, though that was painted white. Both replaced 'boxes that had been bombed.

My first thought was GWR but the boxes mentioned had 3 over 2 windows upstairs and the staircase inside. I know of at least two boxes in the West Midlands that BR(W) built in the wartime style in the 1950s before the late women type took over.

• RMweb Premium

Typical WW II reinforced replacement signal box, used to replace ones which had been bombed or otherwise needed replacing. There was one like this at Burghclere on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway (GWR).

The signal box at Burghclere had an internal staircase, entry was at ground level. I have this kit from the Hornby mag, but it needs quite a bit of work to make it correct for the D N & S. These boxes were built at most of the stations between Newbury and Winchester (Chesil) during the wartime upgrades. I have some photos I can upload - when I find them...

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...