Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium

There is a rather nice double ended HST power car in British Railways black with silver stripes in the new issue of Model Rail mag.

There was something similar on E-bay a few months ago. How about a Cl43 with a pantograph to make it an Electro-Diesel?

• RMweb Gold

That's cool but I think you need to have the pivot at the rear of the power bogie, so it can lead the loco into curves, for it to work on the Mallet principle, then have a sliding bearing under the smokebox :)

The fireman would probably be grateful if the boiler was shorter with a platform over the front cylinders ;)

Mallet_loco.png

Edited by Corbs

Speaking of Garratts, two plans put to the GWR in 1931.

attachicon.gifGWR 4-6-0+0-6-4.jpg

attachicon.gifGWR 2-8-0+0-8-2.jpg

Cheers

David

I suppose the issue with locos like this on the British railways of the time was less how many tons they could pull but how many tons of unbraked wagons they could bring to a halt within an acceptable distance

attachicon.gifa2-2-4-8-0.jpg

I think you get the same issues with the narrow firebox, though. You probably end up with something like an enlarged K3 boiler.

please click on link above

4-8-0 haunts my dreams.

I will try to print two pictures and cut and paste so that steps up to cap is just behind fourth coupled wheels just like the french 4-8-0 that is known manyeverywhere to have been  the ultimate and most efficient steam locomotive.

The Corbs/Thomson version can be even better and look much better.

Boiler diameters are equal(ultimate power) but the Chapelon two throw crank is a not so nice thing.

Francis Webb comes to rescue

Two outside 17 inch high pressure cylinders sitting 6 feet 3inch apart will clear platform edges in al future.

A single 36 inch low pressure  can easily sit betwen frames and a single throw crank is better than a two ditto.

The thermodynamical cylinder losses are less than the Chapelon child.

Not much but still some.

Mr Webb will smile ,I think,having fathered worlds best locomotive and it only makes sense in  England

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

we did have some 4-8-0's on the NER and the LSWR, so why not try a tender version of them

https://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/T/t1_1.jpg

t1_1.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/LSWR-tank-engines/i-5VnCCW3/1/dd97093a/M/S_LSWR_492_SRA131018_300A-M.jpg

S_LSWR_492_SRA131018_300A-M.jpg

take the bunker off, lengthen the boiler and move the firebox over the rear most wheels and add a tender 

• Like 1

Whose going to be the first to build a working model of this:-

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/fictional/fictional.htm

It would be interesting to model the grappling-hook locomotive. Someone with limited floor space could build a nice vertical layout to run it on. Getting servos to operate the hooks in the right sequence would be challenging!

It would be interesting to model the grappling-hook locomotive. Someone with limited floor space could build a nice vertical layout to run it on. Getting servos to operate the hooks in the right sequence would be challenging!

Didn't Fowler, or one if the other "lesser" manufacturers, produce a loco that put down sprags in sequence?

• Like 1

You could use GIMP, which is a free alternative to photoshop.

https://www.gimp.org/

Thank You but I used a scissor and tape.

More suitable for my age.

When mr Riddles got older, he dreamt of having made the Clan class as Caprotti 4-8-0 and beated the Chapelon for the run of having made worlds best locomotive.

LNER could have done prewar and would have looked much better

https://imgur.com/mv7Jp6V

Edited by Niels

• RMweb Gold

Some of these almost got built a tri Bo locomotive with 86 style cabs was proposed for an earlier channel tunnel and a single cab 58 was an export option

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Premium

I always enjoyed the cut and shut stuff

The Dean 4-2-2-2-2 - that'll be his version of the triple-expansion compound - sending up F W Webb? As all the cylinders are between the frames, things must get quite interesting on shed. Who'd be a fitter? I can only imagine that there's one cylinder per driving axle, with rather short connecting rods. I dare say that once in motion, everything slips into synchronisation.

The Drummond double Fairlie has definite possibilities ... ideal for working a push-pull sandwich? The Fowler 2-4-4T looks as if it might have a bit more go about it than the 2-6-2Ts that were actually built.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2