Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

The gremans had the class 103 electric loco with a 18 ton axle load and 125mph running. But then again, a lot of old ideas (like the 86 axle hung motors) have proved to hammer the track. It would be better to say the 89 bogie is the only Co bogie designed for 125mph running with modern low track forces.

Edit-note the spelling mistake, Germans

Edited by cheesysmith
  • Informative/Useful 1

A 67 stretched to the same length as a 66 with an extra bogie. Room to fit the 4300 hp 16-710G3C engine and still run at 125 mph with minimum impact on the track. Probably powerful enough to maintain an HST schedule with 8 x Mk 3 and a DVT.

post-21705-0-01545700-1510660048_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David

This has done my head in - how do three bogies follow one another round a curve without an articulated body frame?

Are there sliding outer bogie pads suitable for HS ?

dh

Back to Garratts - As from 507003

" since the last picture was added I have since painted all the white areas on the loco. I used the 9F boiler as opposed to my other choice which was going to be an A3 boiler because my gresley A1/3 boilers are being used for projects to build the A3s as say a P2/3 as either a 2-8-2, 2-8-4, 4-8-2 or 4-8-4 loco"

post-21705-0-64112900-1510662273.jpg

.Here is an update of the 2-10-0 + 0-10-2 for Birkenhead Docks - Gresford Bank /Wrexham  trials ?

• Like 4

This has done my head in - how do three bogies follow one another round a curve without an articulated body frame?

Are there sliding outer bogie pads suitable for HS ?

Usually the middle bogie can slide sideways. The Russian EP20 electric Bo'Bo'Bo' is allowed 200 km/h.

Cheers

David

• Informative/Useful 1

The SBB RE6/6 is good for 140kmh on a bo-bo-bo chassis. What's the speed rating of the channel tunnel bo-bo-bo's?

And yes, usual the outer bogies are a 'fixed pivot' like a 'normal' bo-bo, and the centre bogie slides from side to side. I think there's an Italian bo-bo-bo that has a fully articulated body, but then there's also the RhB Ge6/6ii which just have a vertical body pivot to cope with gradient changes.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The KiwiRail EF class is another Bo-Bo-Bo locomotive, though only maxes out at 105kph, it is 20m long and manages the 151m radius horseshoe bend on the Raurmu Spiral on the North Island Trunk Line.

8301710004_bc01a68881_c.jpg

... and it's a narrow-gauge loco.

• Agree 1

The SBB RE6/6 is good for 140kmh on a bo-bo-bo chassis. What's the speed rating of the channel tunnel bo-bo-bo's?

And yes, usual the outer bogies are a 'fixed pivot' like a 'normal' bo-bo, and the centre bogie slides from side to side. I think there's an Italian bo-bo-bo that has a fully articulated body, but then there's also the RhB Ge6/6ii which just have a vertical body pivot to cope with gradient changes.

A couple of the prototype re6/6s were built with a split body to allow some movement but the conclusion they came to was that the other 2 prototypes worked just as well and were easier to build, hence production locos have none split bodies.

• Informative/Useful 1

Back to Garratts - As from 507003

" since the last picture was added I have since painted all the white areas on the loco. I used the 9F boiler as opposed to my other choice which was going to be an A3 boiler because my gresley A1/3 boilers are being used for projects to build the A3s as say a P2/3 as either a 2-8-2, 2-8-4, 4-8-2 or 4-8-4 loco"

attachicon.gif2x9F Garrett.jpg

.Here is an update of the 2-10-0 + 0-10-2 for Birkenhead Docks - Gresford Bank /Wrexham  trials ?

Wow! Does it work?

The Eurotunnel class 9 is allowed 160 km/h. The design is derived from the New Zealand EF class pictured above.

The Re 6/6 packs a whopping 8000 kW (10,700 hp).

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

... and it's a narrow-gauge loco.

As are all the Bo-Bo-Bo electric locomotives hauling huge coal trains in Queensland.

EDIT: And many of the electric freight locos in Japan.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU

The Eurotunnel class 9 is allowed 160 km/h. The design is derived from the New Zealand EF class pictured above.

The Re 6/6 packs a whopping 8000 kW (10,700 hp).

Cheers

David

It is an impressive power rating for a 40 year old machine. The uk's equivalent front line AC Locomotive of the time was the class 87 with just under half that power. The WCML could have looked very different with a bit of out-sourcing and gauge enhancements......

All the talk of super Hymeks the other day and now I have just discovered the Krauss Maffei ML4000. 26 ton axle loading makes it a bit heavy for 1960s UK so bigger bogies might have been required but it is otherwise two Hymeks in a single loco. Looks like the Americans had the same problems as the Western region hydraulics since they did not like being thrashed continuously at full output in the mountains and they had no regenerative brakes. I guess German locos were always used conservatively with a 2000HP Diesel hydraulic not expected to do any more work than a 1300HP Diesel electric of similar weight.

You might think the UK hydraulics only had a short life - the one in the picture lasted only four years in service before withdrawal of the whole fleet! It was one of a repeat order following the 'success' of the first batch only three years older.

9014_sp-ml4000-john_rosser.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

....Here is an update of the 2-10-0 + 0-10-2 for Birkenhead Docks - Gresford Bank /Wrexham  trials ?

Really it needs a larger grate and firebox, about 75 % increase to give it the steam raising capacity that the engines require to sustain full output. Usefully, extending the firebox forwards will shorten the boiler barrel to more like typical Garratt proportions (increasing the barrel diameter to scale 7' wouldn't hurt either). It's a slow Garratt in this form, but if intended primarily for banking this will be fine. Beyer's would at least put pony trucks inside for 2-10-2+2-10-2, it it is going to be a road engine and likely to make the speeds which the 4,000hp sustained output can deliver.

Tri-Bo? That's nothing. Quint-C', Midland style...

Impressive enough....

But I was really hoping to see a spectacular 1908 "artists impression" at Peak Forest of a crimson lake centre cab 2-8-2 (or suchlike) express loco heading a clerestory Manchester express. on the projected 1908 Midland Railway Derby-Manchester mainline OHL 6600 V AC at 25 Hz electrification (for which Lancaster - Morecambe - Heysham was the test project).

I recall seeing it included in an old Backtrack article "Railway Reflections" article by Michael Rutherford. But I could not find it on line in an image search.

Can any Derby afficianado post it up? It might have eclipsed 'The Great Bear'.

dh

• Like 1