Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

2 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Ok, so trying to work out the best solution here; Am I right in thinking there are advantages to having a leading 2 axle bogie rather than a leading single axle at higher speeds? 

Unite the leading single axle with the first driver in a Zara or Krauss-Helmholtz truck and it will be just as good at speed as a 2 axle .

This means the first driver shal have 1 inch freedom side to side and this will only be possible within UK loading gauge if You use three or four cylindes.

The 9F has cylinders one inch further out than Britanias.

Bang went standartisation.

New cylinder patterns.

Reason was conflict between front coupling pin and croshead.

Brittanias are 8 feet 8,25 inches wide and 9Fs 8feet 10.25 over cylinders.

Edited by Niels
Unclear
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

From a while ago, this was my take on the 2-8-4 :)

2-8-4.jpg.831ee0f260fcf11f18d208a4bfb7880b.jpg

I modified the ashpan and lower firebox a fair bit, think it has less of a slope to it now.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

19 minutes ago, Corbs said:

From a while ago, this was my take on the 2-8-4 :)

2-8-4.jpg.831ee0f260fcf11f18d208a4bfb7880b.jpg

I modified the ashpan and lower firebox a fair bit, think it has less of a slope to it now.

Lovely and can it easily be made roundtopped?The trailing truck wheels need not be same size

• Agree 1

What would a UK Vanderbilt tender look like?

I'd imagine it would look somewhat like a child rammed the cylindrical block into the squarish one.     I don't know that the UK loading gauge would permit the hopper-look of a US Vanderbilt.

11 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'd imagine it would look somewhat like a child rammed the cylindrical block into the squarish one.     I don't know that the UK loading gauge would permit the hopper-look of a US Vanderbilt.

Ah now that I'm certain we have done before! It's in this thread somewhere...

26 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Page 98! Courtesy of Corbs...

Not sure if the link will work straight to it or not...

• Like 1

Bit of a labour of love this. Revisiting the Mikado arrangement, it looks much better using the coronation cylinders rather than the 9f cylinders and the positioning keeps all the drive parts the same lengths as on a coronation. There's still the space to add another trailing axle beneath the fire box, but if there's no weight reasoning then I'm not going to change it just for the sake of it. Tackled making the tender convincingly slightly longer too... not that there was any reason to do that!

897116916_MikadoCoronation-9f.jpg.c479da5f5b338d3a7193920390245358.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Bit of a labour of love this. Revisiting the Mikado arrangement, it looks much better using the coronation cylinders rather than the 9f cylinders and the positioning keeps all the drive parts the same lengths as on a coronation. There's still the space to add another trailing axle beneath the fire box, but if there's no weight reasoning then I'm not going to change it just for the sake of it. Tackled making the tender convincingly slightly longer too... not that there was any reason to do that!

Nice, but not sure the wheel spacing looks quite right. What about Wagner smoke deflectors? I reckon they'd suit a Duchess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Can't really see why this isn't a 2-10-2 (which'd mean some reshaping of the ashpan) or 2-8-4.  I'm assuming that it has the 4-cylinder Coronation split drive de Glehn layout, the only way to keep the outside cylinders down to an acceptable size and width.

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Can't really see why this isn't a 2-10-2 (which'd mean some reshaping of the ashpan) or 2-8-4.  I'm assuming that it has the 4-cylinder Coronation split drive de Glehn layout, the only way to keep the outside cylinders down to an acceptable size and width.

Yes I imagine it's the standard Coronation cylinders. If I shuffle the front pony forward slightly and the cylinders forward slightly more it may fit as 2-10-2 without chopping of the ash pan.... leave it with me! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Could a version be done with bigger wheels? Something like a P2.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

I would think possibly so, but the coupled wheelbase would have to be lengthened (might improve the ride!) and the rear axle would have to be as close as possible to the front of the firebox.  The size of driving wheels would be limited by the extent of the wheelbase, and I doubt anything like a P2 could be done; i'd reckon the biggest driving wheels you'd be able to get in the space would be about 5'8".  This would give the loco a useful top speed for fast freight and heavy passenger work, and it would be a good hill climber as well.

1 hour ago, DavidB-AU said:

Could a version be done with bigger wheels? Something like a P2.

Cheers

David

Yes, but with this I'm trying to create something I can actually build easily using not too many parts sources and keeping the costs down. I already have an old Coronation, looking at ways to alter it, not I deal but a Dapol 9f kit is a very cheap option for the chassis (the bogie tender is not likely, but it was fun to add!)

• RMweb Gold

I had a stab at making Stanier/Ivatt (not sure which one)'s 4-6-4 monster as described by E.S.Cox in Locomotive Panorama.

Cox indicated that it would have retained the streamlining for the extra few HP it could give at speed, enlarged firebox with mechanical stoker, smaller wheels than a 'Duchess' (I used Princess Royal wheels with Duchess spacing and valve gear) to enable the boiler to be larger diameter within the limits of the loading gauge.

Included 8 wheel tender and LMS livery.

stanier-4-6-4-streamlined-cox-1.jpg.ebbf82968a0e7ecc5fa4bfb012b0bbd2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

What if things had been a wee bit different and the class 40 cabs were accessed through doors in the nose, all the nose gubbins was behind the driver (where the doors should be), and had shunter's platforms on each end?...

class_78.jpg.64e7ee3a04513c5f4130ef69b52a299b.jpg

(to be fair, I wanted to hack up a class 25 for the body on this but couldn't find a suitable side image)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

I’m in the process of trying to come up with some sort of justification for the sort of locos I’m planning to run (hopefully soon to follow) which will be prototype based but not models of actual prototypes.

In the process I hit upon the idea that perhaps it could be interesting to suppose that the big four were grouped differently in 1923. Somebody much earlier in this thread suggested a ‘big 5’. What I was thinking was grouping the railways less on geographical location and more on the premise of stimulating competition by having lines compete for traffic in broad regional areas. 

So so for example the SECR and the GCR could compete against an L&Y, LNWR, LBSCR group and a GNR and LSWR group. 

Just a a thought but it might be venturing more into freelancing, however, it gives greater scope for imaginary locos. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

The 2-10-2. Standard Coronation boiler. Everything shifted forward to get the extra set of drivers in. Would need some nip and tuck around the ash pan/trailing axle.

526812096_LMS2-10-29f.jpg.e7ac9719494e3a93186f96310e42b0bf.jpg

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

I had a stab at making Stanier/Ivatt (not sure which one)'s 4-6-4 monster as described by E.S.Cox in Locomotive Panorama.

Cox indicated that it would have retained the streamlining for the extra few HP it could give at speed, enlarged firebox with mechanical stoker, smaller wheels than a 'Duchess' (I used Princess Royal wheels with Duchess spacing and valve gear) to enable the boiler to be larger diameter within the limits of the loading gauge.

Included 8 wheel tender and LMS livery.

stanier-4-6-4-streamlined-cox-1.jpg.ebbf82968a0e7ecc5fa4bfb012b0bbd2.jpg

Hi Chaps,

I like both of these renditions very much, the only detail to note is that the trailing truck would likely be of the type that 6256 and 6257 used as the locomotives may well not have had the splayed frames of the earlier pacifics.

The 2-10-2 certainly looks like a track straightener and the 4-6-4 looks fast.

How about giving the 2-10-2 a cut down cab sheet and a tender with an inset bunker and the 4-6-4 a double chimney (just ignore me Corbs for being overly picky).

Gibbo.

On 18/11/2018 at 21:47, Corbs said:

Another thing inspired by Mr. Cornish, and based on this drawing:

post-898-0-92713800-1542577075.jpg

Wondering if my railway company would have refurbished their WD 2-8-0s upon purchase? There's only 2 of them in the loco stud so it's not quite the same as BR's vast disposable fleet.

Prettier cab, chimney, top feed cover, tender sides.

post-898-0-10476300-1542577657.jpg

Also looking back at the concept images for the Woolworth kitbuilds for the NWR, and how they turned out (more in my cobblin' thread)

Concept from and inspired by this thread.

post-898-0-71629100-1542577306.jpg

post-898-0-87879500-1542577384.jpg

Completed

post-898-0-82512800-1542577347_thumb.jpg

I really like the way these turned out. It’s given me some inspiration. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Chaps,

I like both of these renditions very much, the only detail to note is that the trailing truck would likely be of the type that 6256 and 6257 used as the locomotives may well not have had the splayed frames of the earlier pacifics.

How about giving the 2-10-2 a cut down cab sheet and a tender with an inset bunker and the 4-6-4 a double chimney (just ignore me Corbs for being overly picky).

Gibbo.

Ahhh makes sense, I couldn't remember what period these were designed in and if the design had the newer type of truck. I mocked this type up a while back for the Ivatt monsters. Also roller bearings on the tender.

I embiggened the chimney too.

stanier-4-6-4-streamlined-cox-2.jpg.3b1af0443449b15a5a64eb08fe499eb0.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Ahhh makes sense, I couldn't remember what period these were designed in and if the design had the newer type of truck. I mocked this type up a while back for the Ivatt monsters. Also roller bearings on the tender.

I embiggened the chimney too.

stanier-4-6-4-streamlined-cox-2.jpg.3b1af0443449b15a5a64eb08fe499eb0.jpg

Now I reckon that would suit a 4-8-4 layout, perhaps with smaller drivers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

A little digression, caused by the sight of the streamlined Coronation, in its maroon and gold livery

I think a Pendo would suit that livery.

I'd say do it, but I don't know that anyone would drop that coin just to repaint one.   Days of buying EMU's and DMU's piecemeal are gone.