Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

The wipers in a 45 (presumably other classes too, but I'm not familiar with anything else) also have a lever so that they can be operated by hand if the motor fails. Obviously no use if the wiper arm has disintegrated, and quite how you'd use it whilst also driving I couldn't say.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

They used to stop completely when labouring up a hill (usually when it was pouring with rain!)

I usually stop completely when labouring uphill, I know the feeling!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Zomboid said:

The wipers in a 45 (presumably other classes too, but I'm not familiar with anything else) also have a lever so that they can be operated by hand if the motor fails. Obviously no use if the wiper arm has disintegrated, and quite how you'd use it whilst also driving I couldn't say.

IIRC many locos with the wipers operating from the bottom of the screen were like this.  WR hydraulics and 47s had the motor at the top of the screen, and could not be reached from the driving seat anyway. A driver usually has a hand free, maybe two if the loco's deadman's is a pedal as opposed to a handle and even if not he has 7 seconds before the deadman's kicks in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I believe you! But I wouldn't know if you were kidding either!

Didn't they also have steam operated firehole doors?

I believe some cars had wipers operated off manifold vacuum. I'm told the wipers used to slow down on full throttle!

Hi Rodent,

They are nothing special, only a 3/8" copper pipe with a series of holes drilled into it that squirts hot water onto the window glass.

The fire hole doors are great and when set up properly and should you use your heal to operate the treadle they are quite fun to use. If you pass over rough track it can put you off your rhythm and get the shovel trapped. 

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 11/02/2019 at 19:22, Corbs said:

I wasn't sure where to put this as it's neither imaginary locos or fictitious liveries, but I thought the audience might appreciate it. 

Whilst flicking through 'locomotive panorama' this passage jumped out at me. Would make an interesting subject to model!

fullsizeoutput_31c6.jpeg.ca50f14465afe04a59080a787d70a27f.jpeg

So the choices were green, green, green or black....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

What did driver's do with those rotary wipers that some Western's had?

I think that was only one loco, at one end.  It was a ‘Kent’ rotating windscreen rather than a wiper (to split hairs), designed for ship’s bridge windscreens.  It span at high speed, throwing water droplets off.  I believe they were Perspex rather than glass.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Talltim said:

So the choices were green, green, green or black....

This exhibition of potential liveries was for the mixed traffic livery; two shades of blue were authorised for 8P locos and the general passenger livery had already been settled as GW lined. The ‘Western’ livery referred to here was presumably unlined.  

The story illustrates a clever piece of presentation by Riddles, who wanted LNWR lined black.  When, as he’d predicted, the Great and Good couldn’t make up their collective mind, he summoned up another Black 5, from off stage, in full LNWR colours and with everything polished and burnished.  The livery was thus chosen and lasted until 1968.

My my personal choice would have been for Maunsell era Southern olive green with yellow lining; IMHO a very attractive scheme that would have sat well on any loco.  

• Like 1

Nope. It was for the passenger livery. Full details in the Big Four In Colour book by Jenkinson.

That is why they had GWR liveried Black Fives present as well as SR Malachite Green and LNER Apple Green. It was to stop certain regions churning out new locomotives in pre 1948 liveries (mainly the SR and ER).

At the time there wasn't going to be a mixed traffic livery. They were all going to be unlined black as the 1946 LMS style.

Express passenger locomotives were going to be Caledonian Blue. But even that shade was debated as there was two shades of CR Blue.

Jason

I forgot to point out that this is what Riddles wanted.

Express passenger locomotives in LNWR livery. He accepted the compromise of mixed traffic locomotives receiving it.

https://www.ssplprints.com/image/92281/wethersett-e-r-sir-william-a-stanier-frs-steam-locomotiv

Scroll down for 46201 in LNWR style livery.

https://6201.co.uk/index.php/timeline-3/

Jason

• RMweb Premium

The Westerm, of course, managed to get their own back later on when not only did many non express ex GWR locos end up in fully lined green livery, quite a few of Riddles machines were so treated as well!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I think that was only one loco, at one end.  It was a ‘Kent’ rotating windscreen rather than a wiper (to split hairs), designed for ship’s bridge windscreens.  It span at high speed, throwing water droplets off.  I believe they were Perspex rather than glass.  

One of the Woodhead electrics has those too, think one of the Co-Cos

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Rodent,

They are nothing special, only a 3/8" copper pipe with a series of holes drilled into it that squirts hot water onto the window glass.

The fire hole doors are great and when set up properly and should you use your heal to operate the treadle they are quite fun to use. If you pass over rough track it can put you off your rhythm and get the shovel trapped. 

Gibbo.

Think I remember somewhere about how mischievous drivers would "accidentally" operate the treadle to close the doors just as the fireman swung his shovel into the firehole! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 24/08/2010 at 12:55, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Having thought about it a little more, it is actually closest to a Meyer arrangement: single fairly conventional boiler over two swivelling powered bogies. The geared drive is distinctively different, so Bulleid-Meyer.

wink.gif .

The Leader always makes me think of the apocryphal description of the Vincent; a lot of ingeniously engineered solutions to problems no one else regarded as important. Whether it fits the other description, of sounding like two gas stoves being dragged across a cobbled yard, I couldn’t say. 

But Bulleid-Meyer seems appropriate; a Meyer, but without the supposed advantages of the type and a whole new set of problems uniquely its own.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Think I remember somewhere about how mischievous drivers would "accidentally" operate the treadle to close the doors just as the fireman swung his shovel into the firehole! 

Hi Rodent,

I don't quite know how such an action would be possible for when being correctly operated the treadle is under the right heal of the fireman and is situated at floor level.

Gibbo.

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Rodent,

I don't quite know how such an action would be possible for when being correctly operated the treadle is under the right heal of the fireman and is situated at floor level.

Gibbo.

This appears to be a railway version of the old chestnut about removing bullets from a machine gun feed belt to tap out various rhythms. WW1 era machine guns rely on the exploding charge to cycle the breech, miss a bullet and it just stops. Pull the cocking lever to chamber the next round and you’re off again. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/03/2019 at 14:32, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Rodent,

Gibbo.

7 hours ago, rockershovel said:

This appears to be a railway version of the old chestnut about removing bullets from a machine gun feed belt to tap out various rhythms. WW1 era machine guns rely on the exploding charge to cycle the breech, miss a bullet and it just stops. Pull the cocking lever to chamber the next round and you’re off again. 

My dear Mr Shovel,

How correct you indeed are, may I add both more information and the original comment for your perusal and juxtaposition of ones own machine gun myth.

In reading my original comment you will note that I make mention of rough track. the reason is quite simple for when traversing rough track one may be put off balance and it is then that one may have to reposition ones feet to prevent falling to the cab floor. Should this occur when ones heal is upon the treadle and the shovel is inside the fire hole then it may become trapped as the doors clap shut.

I do find that the greater part of the myths surrounding the Bulleid Pacifics to be mostly apocryphal nonsense.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

On 30/03/2019 at 19:24, Gibbo675 said:

My dear Mr Shovel,

How correct you indeed are, may I add both more information and the original comment for your perusal and juxtaposition of ones own machine gun myth.

In reading my original comment you will note that I make mention of rough track. the reason is quite simple for when traversing rough track one may be put off balance and it is then that one may have to reposition ones feet to prevent falling to the cab floor. Should this occur when ones heal is upon the treadle and the shovel is inside the fire hole then it may become trapped as the doors clap shut.

I do find that the greater part of the myths surrounding the Bulleid Pacifics to be mostly apocryphal nonsense.

Gibbo.

We’re not quite on the same page here - I was trying to reply to the comment about the driver closing the door as the fireman was swinging his shovel, but that isn’t what appeared...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a lurker on this particular part of the form for years (literally!) but I think this is only my first post on RMweb as a whole. I have been quite nervous my stuff isn't up to snuff, but I feel like I should force myself to post something to tide everyone else like me over until the professional madmen return! It's thanks to this forum I've been happily playing around with various ideas of my own, and like many here before me, proposed designs, the stuff some people come up with is really inspirational! Thanks for fueling my addiction to the fantastical everyone! That soppy stuff said, let's get to the loco, shall we? ;)

...The Riddles BR Standard 5MTT!

This monster came about during a time of musing about the big, imposing Baltics of the early 20th century (especially those of the Lancashire and Yorkshire and Furness) and how they could be brought into line with more modern motive power. As the only ones I did at this larger scale I do feel happy with them, although it's pretty obvious given their basis - It's just a 5MT with a 4MTT smashed into it (somehow everything from the buffer heads to the cab magically disappeared!) and would be criminally overweight for what I would presume would be almost every line in the country, perhaps a 4MT 4-6-0 would've been a better starting point? I do think it's a pretty beast though. Hopefully, I've done this right and below you should see this beast in a strange collection of standard BR schemes and a few fictional ones: go big or go home as they say!

BR Baltics.png

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Oddly enough, a 5MT 4-6-4T is something I keep playing around with. It would definitely be an imposing (and capable) locomotive. I fear that weight would be its' downfall, though - Baltic tanks kept falling foul of it in Britain. It would, however, naturally lead to a 2-8-4T version with 60" drivers, which would be a seriously imposing machine for short-distance heavy freight work.

I don't think there's much point in a 4-6-4T based on the Standard Class 4 4-6-0, because that's basicaly just a Class 4 2-6-4T with a four-wheeled bogie at either end. It might get you longer legs, I suppose, but that's about all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Sort of like this? A bit bodgy but only for fun. I've not changed the 5MT dimensions, just stretched the 4MT tanks and bunker and moved the trailing wheels.

5mt-tank-1.jpg.6ded73a63d5a8a9388e49916e098fc1b.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1