Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

The thing that jumps out at me from that text is the 2-10-2.

Made me wonder about some kind of cab-forward for the Woodhead tunnels (even though it would have been the long way round to go from South Yorks to Immingham via the Woodhead pass). Which would have been quite something, I suspect.

There is a picture of the Baldwin version in the book locomotives that never were. It looked a bit ungainly imho. 

19 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Hmm. Looks a little like my No.9.

eb1.jpg.3bd7bfa4756a9981c4096c156de55b47.jpg

This looks like a K3 with a Fowler tender?

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

There's a model of it here:

It’s the cylinder arrangement I dislike, but it looks like a civil engineers nightmare!

very nice model though, somehow the lion and wheel suit that tender.  

There is also this: 

46F15091-2C1E-42E8-88D3-BDD7D85ABBF5.jpeg

Edited by Traintresta
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Traintresta said:

This looks like a K3 with a Fowler tender?

It is based on the Bachmann K3, but has some parts from elsewhere. Cab is Triang B12, chimney is Hornby Fowler 4P, tender is Lima Crab, plus some other detailing odds and ends from various other models.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Traintresta said:

It’s the cylinder arrangement I dislike, but it looks like a civil engineers nightmare!

There is also this: 

Damn, this reminds me of the LMS Stanier Pacifics! Good luck to anyone making this!

44 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Good luck to anyone making this engine a reality in model form!

I fully intend to give this a go. Can’t decide if I’m going to risk modifying an O4 or if I’ll start from scratch. If I can get cab and running gear etchings the rest will be relatively straightforward. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

There's a model of it here:

Terrific model but it's not for me.  Somehow it just doesn't look like a conceivable Neverwassa.

I like the O4, P1, 9F line-up behind, more.....  Quite fancy a BR-liveried P1 (yes I know it's been done before, one used to run on Deepcar I believe).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Traintresta said:

There is also this: 

How does that gain anything over a 4-6-0 with, say, 7'4" + 8'0" coupled wheelbase? [cf LMS Patriot/Jubilee.]

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

How does that gain anything over a 4-6-0 with, say, 7'4" + 8'0" coupled wheelbase? [cf LMS Patriot/Jubilee.]

I dare say it didn’t, hence it wasn’t built. The only benefit I see is that it shortens the wheelbase and reduces the axle loadings, but with such a small grate area I don’t think this would ever have been a success. 

Edited by Traintresta
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Traintresta said:

I dare say it didn’t, hence it wasn’t built. The only benefit I see is that it shortens the wheelbase and reduces the axle loadings, but with such a small grate area I don’t think this would ever have been a success. 

Probably a wise move given, from what I've read, the 'mixed' performances of the GCR 4-6-0s 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scots region said:

Probably a wise move given, from what I've read, the 'mixed' performances of the GCR 4-6-0s 

They certainly were a mixed bag! The earlier efforts appear to have been the better ones before Robinson decided to return to 2 inside cylinders on everything before then insisting on 4 cylinders on everything.

The thing that baffles me about the proposed pacific is that the trailing axle appears to have been there to lower the axle loading, despite the low overall weight of the loco, but its wasted as the firebox sits largely over the rear driver and is no wider than the fireboxes on the 4-6-0'S and no deeper than the Atlantic's.

• RMweb Gold

Not familiar enough with the GCR to know if it had any weight restricted routes that might have benefitted from what looks like an already feeble, firebox restricted, 4-6-0 with the axle load reduced by making it a Pacific.  Or with such sharp curvature as to make it worth shortening the wheelbase, which may have had an adverse effect on the ride at speed.  Like others, I can't see the point of this loco.

On 24/05/2019 at 12:54, Traintresta said:

I fully intend to give this a go. Can’t decide if I’m going to risk modifying an O4 or if I’ll start from scratch. If I can get cab and running gear etchings the rest will be relatively straightforward. 

The lner a1 Or A3 wheelbase is close for coupled wheels. That is how I am going to start the build.

On 24/05/2019 at 11:36, Traintresta said:

There is also this: 

Compagnie Nord made something like it in1912

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nord_3.1151_–_3.1170_→_SNCF_2-231.A?uselang=fr#/media/File:Early_Nord_Pacific.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Niels said:

That reminds me of the Nord atlantics the GWR purhased.

431197.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

On 24/05/2019 at 11:36, Traintresta said:

There is also this: 

Fascinating indeed! What´s the source of this diagram?

3 hours ago, Signal Box Cat said:

Fascinating indeed! What´s the source of this diagram?

East Coast Pacifics at Work by PN Townsend.

11 hours ago, richard i said:

The lner a1 Or A3 wheelbase is close for coupled wheels. That is how I am going to start the build.

I'm quite happy to make my own frames from brass sheet, using Gibson wheels and probably comet rods and valve gear.

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not familiar enough with the GCR to know if it had any weight restricted routes that might have benefitted from what looks like an already feeble, firebox restricted, 4-6-0 with the axle load reduced by making it a Pacific.  Or with such sharp curvature as to make it worth shortening the wheelbase, which may have had an adverse effect on the ride at speed.  Like others, I can't see the point of this loco.

As far as I'm aware, weight wasn't factor on the GCR lines, particularly that these were intended for Manchester - Sheffield work over Woodhead so would not have been restricted at all on that route.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Justang said:

I know it's a bit out of scale as it's HO, [...] the Bachmann Gordon chassis 

Is it though? As far as I can see it is a bespoke chassis (unlike the Hornby version based on their A1/A3 chassis of some vintage) but although his proportions are weird - especially the tender - he's not significantly smaller than his carriages, which are the old Mainline LMS Period 1 ones.

Edited by Compound2632

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is it though? As far as I can see it is a bespoke chassis (unlike the Hornby version based on their A1/A3 chassis of some vintage) but although his proportions are weird - especially the tender - he's not significantly smaller than his carriages, which are the old Mainline LMS Period 1 ones.

I haven't had a good look at any Bachmann Thomas range models to be able to tell the scale of Gordon. But if anyone on here does have one, it would be great to find out its wheelbase. They will become more available soon, with Bachmann bringing the range to the UK, so if it is an option, it would be convenient.

19 hours ago, Justang said:

I know it's a bit out of scale as it's HO, but does anybody know how close the Bachmann Gordon chassis is to the GCR Pacific?

The GCR Pacific is 6’6”+5’9.5”+7’3”+7’3”+6’1”,

the Gresley Pacific is 6’3”+5’6”+7’3”+7’3”+9’6” so the best starting point would be a Gresley Pacific. The scale difference in the wheelbase in 4mm scale would be only 1mm for the bogie and 1.33mm for the bogie to driver. The cortazzi axle is 6mm further back on the Gresley Pacific so this would require changing to make a better representation. The driving wheels are only .66mm smaller but the leading wheels would probably need to be replaced as the GCR uses 3’6” but the Gresley only has 3’2”. The trailing axle is close enough at 1” difference that here would be no need to bother as it’s about .33mm. 

Edited by Traintresta

• RMweb Premium

Those are, I take it, the dimensions of an actual Gresley pacific, not of any particular model chassis....

From the weight diagram, the trailing axle appears to be mounted in the frames rather than in a separate truck - presumably with plenty of sideplay or maybe a radial axle; what arrangement was used on the Parker/Pollitt 0-6-2Ts and 2-4-2Ts?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what the Bachmann Thomas range 48xx chassis is like?

It looks like the Thomas HO range is a mix and match of UK & Continental stock,

There's even an old Mainline LMS 8T cattle in Thomas  "GWR" Livery, like the 48XX

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Those are, I take it, the dimensions of an actual Gresley pacific, not of any particular model chassis....

From the weight diagram, the trailing axle appears to be mounted in the frames rather than in a separate truck - presumably with plenty of sideplay or maybe a radial axle; what arrangement was used on the Parker/Pollitt 0-6-2Ts and 2-4-2Ts?

Yes they are the prototype dimensions so I suppose a model would differ slightly. 

I think the rear axle on the Robinson Atlantic’s were radial axles? I would expect the Pacific would have been the same. I’ll check my references when I get home. 

• Like 1