Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

3 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I love some of the absurdities that occasionally crop up in larger scales.

Indeed. Nice to see that streak of crazy inventiveness doesn't just run in the smaller scale freelancers like me.

Can't really see any feasible use for an engine like that on a railway though, except maybe moving continents...

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I love some of the absurdities that occasionally crop up in larger scales.

It's the commitment and expense. We might think of something daft, maybe even chop up some Dapol kits, or once in a while bash a secondhand loco, but someone has had an absurdly (but brilliantly) daft idea and spent several years, no little skill and a few grand pulling it off. Impressive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Indeed. Nice to see that streak of crazy inventiveness doesn't just run in the smaller scale freelancers like me.

Can't really see any feasible use for an engine like that on a railway though, except maybe moving continents...

With such a large contraption in the 12"/ft world the bunker and tanks would soon be empty.

Probably have a range of about 50 miles:mellow:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Speaking of beasts, here's a 4-10-2 monster I found on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/Qyocu-FICQE

You may also enjoy this freelance Pacific, it’s just me, but I’ve always thought that had the railway’s been nationalised in 1919, any Pacifics they came up with would look much the same.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

With such a large contraption in the 12"/ft world the bunker and tanks would soon be empty.

It would possibly be suited to the Tyne Dock - Consett ore trains, or the Lickey banker.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

A 10-coupled tank locomotive would probably be better off as a 2-10-4T to carry a usefully-sized bunker and tanks. Having said that, something like two-thirds of all the 4-10-2s ever built were tank locomotives in South Africa:

640px-CSAR_Class_E_4-10-2T.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

It would possibly be suited to the Tyne Dock - Consett ore trains, or the Lickey banker.

Now there's a project.

How about a large cab forward loco to aid buffering up?

The 10 coupled locos (Big Bertha & 9Fs) had the grunt but were less than ideal when buffering up at night.

The LNER Garratt was pretty difficult to use with the chimney facing up (but even when turned it wasn't liked).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, JimC said:

Not really, AIUI Wright was very influenced by locos that were already in existence in the North eastern quarter of the country.

Do I recall aright (from Tuplin or some such) that the reason the NER cab windows were distinctly lower in the cab sheets was that they were driven from the sitting position compared to other LNER constituents' Windowed cabs?

dh

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scots region said:

https://youtu.be/Qyocu-FICQE

You may also enjoy this freelance Pacific, it’s just me, but I’ve always thought that had the railway’s been nationalised in 1919, any Pacifics they came up with would look much the same.

Very nice. Makes me think of my own Pacific design. post-33750-0-67443100-1520366761_thumb.pngpost-33750-0-15807100-1532090804_thumb.jpg

My original number 10, now unnumbered and retired as it's hideously surplus to requirements and really bad at turning. Replaced amusingly by a freelance Pacific tank. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The Nord part of the Ceinture had a similar contraption which even had a dog compartment.

Hi Joseph,

I am intrigued and have to ask, for what purpose other than to keep animal loving loco crews both happy and in company why have a dog upon a locomotive ?

My experience of dogs is that they like to lie in all sorts of grot at the best of time and the thought of a mutley, plus coal dust, plus oil doesn't seem fun by the end of the day.

Gibbo.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Joseph,

I am intrigued and have to ask, for what purpose other than to keep animal loving loco crews both happy and in company why have a dog upon a locomotive ?

My experience of dogs is that they like to lie in all sorts of grot at the best of time and the thought of a mutley, plus coal dust, plus oil doesn't seem fun by the end of the day.

Gibbo.

Presumably dogs were not allowed in the passenger carriages???

I will get out my book about the Ceinture and research a bit more. I think that I have a Loco Revue drawing of the same oddity somewhere.

• Like 2

IMGP0066a.JPG.21444dca416fb78b5fadf8dd88ccdf45.JPGThe last outing for this experimental lightweight mixed traffic type ended in mechanical failure. These types of lococould  have been produced in the early 1960s by the Southern Region. Take a boiler from the recently withdrawn Schools class and the wheels and motion of a Bulleid pacific and cook slowly with an arc welder.

The driving wheel splashers have been tydied up before the last test runs today.

There was never much enthusiams for this machine ( see above posts ) and when the crank axle broke that was the end and it will quickly be dismantled and its parts canabalised for the next project.

The tender and cab side are already earmarked for for another experimental type so this is the end for this loco as the crank axle is unserviceable.

IMGP0068a.JPG.108fc1f5cdae8687debd4382cc985435.JPG

Looks like it was merely a two cylinder loco, looks like the between the frames chain drive mechanism has already been takne away.

Edited by relaxinghobby
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A little something I'd like to try to make someday, the English electric built L class overhead electric locos for Australia.  But just assuming that BR ordered some, modified to fit our loading gauge using Deltic bodywork.....

l1163.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, simon b said:

A little something I'd like to try to make someday, the English electric built L class overhead electric locos for Australia.  But just assuming that BR ordered some, modified to fit our loading gauge using Deltic bodywork.....

l1163.jpg

EE also built broadly similar electric locomotives for the Sao Paulo Railway, RENFE and Indian Railways.

Cheers

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, simon b said:

l1163.jpg

4 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

EE also built broadly similar electric locomotives for the Sao Paulo Railway, RENFE and Indian Railways.

Cheers

David

Triang Transcontinental?

• Agree 1