Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

15 hours ago, simon b said:

A little something I'd like to try to make someday, the English electric built L class overhead electric locos for Australia.  But just assuming that BR ordered some, modified to fit our loading gauge using Deltic bodywork.....

l1163.jpg

That is potentially what the English Electric AL3/class 83 could have looked like if the designers didn't have to follow the BR specifications, but I doubt it'd our loading gauge- the pantograph head had to be over the bogie pivot and having any kind of nose would also mean a lower cab roof as the pan would have to be mounted on top of it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

A little something I'd like to try to make someday, the English electric built L class overhead electric locos for Australia.  But just assuming that BR ordered some, modified to fit our loading gauge using Deltic bodywork....

Hi Simon,

you may find a RTR item of this girl here unfortunately H0 scale, http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/L Class Locomotive.htm

For might have beens using a Deltic body try a look into Back Track 2014, "In place of steam: the development of alternatives. p. 247-51" vol. 4 (April) by Norman Lowe. You may find there a proposal for Class CC4 as intended for the Southern.

The Signal Box Cat

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Signal Box Cat said:

Hi Simon,

you may find a RTR item of this girl here unfortunately H0 scale, http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/L Class Locomotive.htm

The Signal Box Cat

Larger prototype at H0 scale works OK on 00 due to the scaling down to 7/8ths size.

e.g UP Big Boy is 16' 2 1/2" high & 11' wide but in 4mm/ft it works out at just over 14' high and 9' 6" wide so not much over the GWR's loading gauge height wise and within it width wise.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Signal Box Cat said:

A little something I'd like to try to make someday, the English electric built L class overhead electric locos for Australia.  But just assuming that BR ordered some, modified to fit our loading gauge using Deltic bodywork....

Hi Simon,

For might have beens using a Deltic body try a look into Back Track 2014, "In place of steam: the development of alternatives. p. 247-51" vol. 4 (April) by Norman Lowe. You may find there a proposal for Class CC4 as intended for the Southern.

The Signal Box Cat

Thanks for the link, those are a little out of my budget but I'd love to have one.... or 4!

I've been collecting some of the old lima Australian models over this year, having become hooked watching the old EMD's working their guts out on youtube.

For a uk domestic version of the L class, I thought about mounting a cut-and-shut Dapol prototype deltic body onto a Hornby class 31 chassis. Would just need an appropriate roof section making up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Not actually too bad a price A$295 = £160. (Plus postage:o)

Hornby International still makes the RENFE class 277 which it acquired from Electrotren. However at ~€260 the Australian option might be a lot cheaper! Unless you can find an older Electrotren branded one second hand.

EDIT: It might be possible to do two different version. An early (1950s) version with the original two Metrovick pantographs and a 1980s version with twin marker lights and a single Faiveley or Brecknell Willis pantograph. As a matter of interest in the early days they often ran with both pantographs up in winter. Gippsland gets very cold and the front one was up (and isolated) simply to knock the ice off the wire.

Would be interesting to see what a "domestic" version could have done on the Woodhead route. The L class could balance 1100t at 32mph up or down a 1 in 50. They had the most powerful dynamic brake in the world at the time.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/10/2019 at 17:06, RedGemAlchemist said:

Very nice. Makes me think of my own Pacific design. post-33750-0-67443100-1520366761_thumb.pngpost-33750-0-15807100-1532090804_thumb.jpg

My original number 10, now unnumbered and retired as it's hideously surplus to requirements and really bad at turning. Replaced amusingly by a freelance Pacific tank. 

Nice pacific model, though the cab is kinda sagging down at the back.

• Like 1

Hey all,

I had another idea I thought belonged on this thread, although strictly speaking not an imaginary locomotive, but another repurposing of existing stock for an imaginary railway of the past:

I'm not necessarily a fan of the neo-Awdry stuff that appears here now and again, and I appreciate is very popular with many, because the overall backstory to the railways on Sodor is a bit too … neat?

Thing is, in my head, if you had a large semi-autonomous island off the Northwest coast of the UK and a sufficient industrial economy for heavy mainline rail, in the immediate pre- and post-war period it would have had a) a large military or naval base and b) a complicated local politics and quite possibly a local separatist terrorist movement. And even then it probably wouldn't have been running, eg, Pacifics.

(Possibly after WWII it would have had a USA military presence and Cold War spying, but that's another issue.)

But then I discovered the history of the Palestine Railways, being an interwar British-run railway in a 'colonial' area with a strong military legacy being entirely equipped with either WW1 military surplus locomotives, or locomotives built or rebuilt by British manufacturers...

Transplant its locomotive stock to a northern-hemisphere location, and you have a perfect representation of what a small, cash-strapped, embattled but autonomous system in the 1930s actually looked like, particularly if you monkey with Awdry slightly.

A bit like an Irish railway of the same era, but different.

To make some parallels with Railway Series locomotives...

'Edward' becomes an ex-ROD Baldwin 4-4-0

'James' becomes an ex-LNWR Webb 17" 0-6-0 or ex-LSWR 395 0-6-0

'Percy' and 'Duck' become Manning Wardle 0-6-0STs

'Henry' becomes the ex-Baldwin 4-6-0s rebuilt twice (into 4-6-2Ts and 4-6-4Ts)

'Gordon' becomes the larger, more powerful and faster North british 4-6-0s which were technically mixed-traffic engines but were their nearest thing to express engines.

and 'Thomas' becomes the Nasmyth WIlson 0-6-0Ts (which were a strikingly odd but winning combination of a Jinty, an LMS 2MT tank, Scottish-style curved tank tops, and an SR USA tank)

I can't find a home in the Irish Sea or North Atlantic for the Kitson 2-8-4Ts, though...

• Like 1

On 15/08/2019 at 11:39, Satan's Goldfish said:

One does not simple ignore that many 'no's...

Deltic Unit Maroon.jpg

You know, this is an impressive HST. This is something BR would've had back in the day when experimenting with multiple unit trains. Good luck making this into an actual physical model!

• Like 1

Thinking more about multiple unit trains, what about a general service 90mph air conditioned DMU based on the Blue Pullman? Same basic frame and engines, but with Mk 1 interiors and a more traditional first generation DMU cab.

Cheers

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Thinking more about multiple unit trains, what about a general service 90mph air conditioned DMU based on the Blue Pullman? Same basic frame and engines, but with Mk 1 interiors and a more traditional first generation DMU cab.

Cheers

David

You've designed a Thumper.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Not quite, as I kept the Blue Pullman cab and forsook air-conditioning (still a decade off from general service application irca 1960), but I did post this earlier.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

In the form shown it wouldn't have been a particularly HS, T.  The DTBS is mk2 based and has B4 100mph bogies, but the Mk1 CKs have B1s, and are speed limited to 90mph.

What speeds did Deltic + mk1s usually run at on the ECML?

(More of a fan of the more modern livery versions I did prior to the maroon incarnation... maybe NSE next just to upset everyone...)