Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

take issue with your query about “who would work down a pit now”, 

I find it very hard to be sad about the demise of deep coal, its a horrendous industry that destroyed people.  

The failure was in not finding alternative employment, but time to stop before getting into too much politics.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Bristol includes 4 separate triangles in the Stoke Gifford complex, Dr. Day’s, and North Somerset.  You also forgot Landore, Dynefor Jc, Reading West, Westbury, and Gloucester.  Stormstown and Barry were lifted tears ago. 

Other long gones include Pontypool Rd, Porthcawl, and, at a push, a return loop at Pilning. I’ve prolly left out loads as well. 

Well, I can't always remember all of them, can I? After all , there were so many.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, JimC said:

I find it very hard to be sad about the demise of deep coal, its a horrendous industry that destroyed people.  

The failure was in not finding alternative employment, but time to stop before getting into too much politics.

Deep coal mining is/was a very wasteful way of obtaining coal. The reclamation carried out next door to Big Pit museum uncovered some 16 seams of coal, varying in depths from 15", to 4' in thickness. What surprised me, was the wastage involved, where football pitched-sized blocks were left behind on the old pillar & stall method. Needless to say with modern capabilities, they took the lot. 

Not for me, I'm happy to say, and somewhat relieved I didn't have to, either.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2020 at 22:00, Gibbo675 said:

Can we bring the subject back to triangles, at least you could turn a locomotive by way of their use imaginary or not !

Caerphilly Works had a 45' turntable, which remained up until the 1970's, when it was scrapped. It fell out of use in (I believe) the 1940's, after which locomotives sent to works had to arrive chimney 'up' the valleys. Locomotives not doing so would be sent to Beddau Loop Junction, via Caerphilly West Junction, Watford Loop Junction, and Watford Crossing.  All in all, a real time consuming PITA.Due to the traffic flows, and the uniqueness of the site, Caerphilly had a claim to fame of having 2 triangle junctions, one working inside the other.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Latest in the line of what if's from myself - Peter Drummond's  never happened dock shunter, but not an impossibility - the NB and CR both had locos like these and Peter went on to do such a thing later in his tenure at the GSWR - see here -  https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/9-0-6-0t-glasgow-south-western-railway-class-5/

It is a combination of a spare O2 body, shortened and a bargain Heljan GW saddle tank and is a bit less restrained than some of my earlier ones, but does for me. Must say the chassis runs really well; I kept the weights , albeit with a lot of filing, and the pickups are sensitive and need an eye kept on them, but it is now earning its keep on the Far North Line, where they did things differently there....

IMG_1494.JPG.cf418a2fffbaa7c0e1887e8660e85b10.JPGIMG_1492.JPG.302a62534444c0a078c8606c7d8a4e9f.JPG

The annoying specks are varnish solids - unnoticeable to my eye, but are removeable with a sharp scalpel - tomorrows job, along with a death sentence on a spray can of varnish...

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone considered an 8F with a Duchess boiler and running gear? Maybe they have, but this is a long thread now!

As an aside, were Duchesses allowed to run to Bristol in LMS/BR days?

Cheers N

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not quite what you asked but I tried a 3-cylinder 4-8-0 using the Scot boiler and front end.

stanier-ivatt-9f-2.jpg.7ba669cd92953542eadceeee53f8aadf.jpg

and you can take your pic from this imaginary development, of course (mechanical stoker necessary).

Ivatts-magnum-opus-1c.jpg.fe8a5cb48c6c1deea25a396d5807d9db.jpg

The 2 goods engines are 2-cylinder locos, same size cylinders as the 9F. The 4-6-4 is based on the proposed one described in Locomotive Panorama by E.S.Cox.

EDIT oh yeah, and a narrow firebox variant of the Duchess allowing it to be a 4-8-0 rather than a 4-6-2.

Would need a split hopper ashpan to go around the rear axle as per the SNCF 240P.

301606483_4-8-03.jpg.c02b6605afdaf95ef646ff4890612b14.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Has anyone considered an 8F with a Duchess boiler and running gear? Maybe they have, but this is a long thread now!

As an aside, were Duchesses allowed to run to Bristol in LMS/BR days?

Cheers N

I did something like that a while ago, I think it was a 2-8-2, basically a duchess on an 8f chassis with the duchess trailing axle under the fire box... or if might have been a shortened 9f chassis... either way it's something I plan on making a model of 1 day!

Edit: found it! Tried it again with a P2 chassis at the top of the following page:

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 15:45, 313201 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I tried something similar a few months ago, as I generally have mostly LNER chassis available I can only try experiments with them at the mo due to lack of other chassis types.

I drilled through the rear of 1 A1/3 chassis after the pair of wheels had been removed and the cast block at the cab end had been cut off.  After much filing had been done to level the drilled area out, I  used a 6 or 8 BA brass nut and bolt to couple the 2 chassis together ( I should also add that both chassis have been modified by removing the metal section where the wheels at the cab end sit and that both are now in use on models as 4-6-4 locos ).

Anyway back to my experiment a few months ago.

The chassis were coupled together as mentioned above and although not motored were pushed along to see if it was possible to continue as a project.

Alas for now I have abandoned the project thus resulting in the 4 - 6 - 4 locos I  created but I also found that a loco body with a very wide internal boiler width ( unless the loco is run on a layout/garden railway with very generous long curves ) because where the motor and gears are located on Hornby chassis restricts movement for going around curved track.  That was tried with a loco body from a rivarossi 2 - 8 - 8 - 2 american locomotive temporarily fixed to the chassis.

Even with its internal width the gear block on the leading chassis would foul the inside of the boiler and that was with a low speed push along test so I can imagine that for such a loco to be created, some radical alterations to the drive arrangements for the model will likely be required unless a chassis is created from scratch or kit cobbling.

Depends what you are trying to achieve. The Lionel 4-8-8-4 Big Boy has a single motor, mounted on the fixed rear chassis and driving both sets of wheels through shafts and gears and the Rivarossi HO one is similar. The Lionel LionChief Big Boy and T1 have vertically mounted can motors - essentially, the same as a diesel, both chassis pivot to allow them to negotiate tighter curves. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2020 at 14:08, 313201 said:

Hey Corbs

I would certainly be interested to know how and what you use to create that loco so I could then attempt to apply the same ideas and techniques to build a 4-8-0 version of a princess loco.

It's all here dude

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82465-corbs-cobbling-back-to-the-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=3817011

• Like 1

Hi all,

I originally posted this in the modelling and detailing forum. But this seems just as good a place to post this never was engine as well. Here is my 2-10-0 Stanierstien. Staniers attempt to produce a heavy good tank engine that would have a lower axle weight due to it's 2-10-0 wheel arrangement allowing it able to range over lighter routes.

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0907.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 7

My take on the almost built small 4-6-0 for the Highland lines that was superseded by the success of the larger Class Fives - Railroad Black Five loco with lowered boiler, GBL cab and Hornby Radial drivers pulling a Bachmann Crab tender...

IMG_1499.JPG.bd9850399f5cdd920ec09ee41bb11530.JPGIMG_1521.JPG.7834f117c45e129919aef72a99f71569.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 22/08/2020 at 23:59, Ben Alder said:

My take on the almost built small 4-6-0 for the Highland lines that was superseded by the success of the larger Class Fives - Railroad Black Five loco with lowered boiler, GBL cab and Hornby Radial drivers pulling a Bachmann Crab tender...

IMG_1499.JPG.bd9850399f5cdd920ec09ee41bb11530.JPGIMG_1521.JPG.7834f117c45e129919aef72a99f71569.JPG

Very nice! The projected Class 4 4-6-0 would have used Black Five frames with the Class 4 boiler and wheels/motion. The boiler would probably have had to have an extension along the parallel bit.

Cheers

• Like 2