Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

Evening all,

Today’s post is a bit of a double-feature. First of all, I have taken a generic Hornby RailRoad 0-4-0T, along with the chassis from a Peckett B2 Class, and played about with it to create a small, heavy duty shunter. This would work at more sizeable industrial railways and maybe the odd locomotive works. 

As promised, I have also produced a revised version of my centre-cab Sentinel locomotive. It now has 3 axles instead of 2, making it more suitable in terms of axle-load for an industrial railway. As always, I’m open to ideas and requests, so feel free to give feedback and requests for what I should do next. 

SRF.

5B2E17C8-A6B2-44A5-B00B-0C4622A1ADED.jpeg

40559030-613D-43E0-B51F-453095E14785.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Morning all,

After witnessing the Hornby model of the Peckett ‘W4’ Class, I thought to myself “Why didn’t they make a tender for longer work periods?”. The result was this locomotive, dubbed the ‘W4T’ Class. What do you think?

SRF.

6F36B037-D604-4B2A-BACB-6BC186F34F94.jpeg

Many such locomotives ran with tenders, usually converted from an old wagon.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Morning all,

After witnessing the Hornby model of the Peckett ‘W4’ Class, I thought to myself “Why didn’t they make a tender for longer work periods?”. The result was this locomotive, dubbed the ‘W4T’ Class. What do you think?

SRF.

Nice render though the smokebox needs work and the tank cap needs removing, too.

18 hours ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Morning all,

SRF.

Imagine this with cab like a Ffestiniog England.

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

I have seen many examples of this myself - mine was merely designed as though there were a higher quality production version, instead of redundant wagon conversions.

The “tenders” usually combine the functions of coal storage and general tool store. It’s counter-productive to put more weight on the tender than absolutely necessary. 

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, sir douglas said:

just about everything shortened except the cab

r3314.jpg.ff3b423b60bac5cf346736a1e4f7e04f.jpg

This is the proposed LMS rebuild of the GSWR Stirling 0-4-0 mineral engines, using the standard G0.5S Belpaire boiler. Drawings were prepared, then someone from Kilmarnock works pointed out that the class had all been withdrawn by about 1900. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

50 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

This is the proposed LMS rebuild of the GSWR Stirling 0-4-0 mineral engines, using the standard G0.5S Belpaire boiler. Drawings were prepared, then someone from Kilmarnock works pointed out that the class had all been withdrawn by about 1900. 

Nice thought. Some of the Fower wheelers lasted until after the Great War, this one didn’t but is seen here in rude good health in 1908!

DCAF14BC-D4F8-4273-A702-2919AD436E66.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, ian@stenochs said:

Nice thought. Some of the Fower wheelers lasted until after the Great War, this one didn’t but is seen here in rude good health in 1908!

DCAF14BC-D4F8-4273-A702-2919AD436E66.jpeg

Brilliant - I've not seen a photo of a live one before - only models. Nice brake van too, shame the tender's in the way!

That reminds me of something about @sir douglas' picture that was bugging me - crank axle under the ashpan! It must have been more than lively on the footplate of a fower wheeler.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Actually inside the ashpan and possibly clonking the grate.  It's crying out for a jackshaft drive between the coupled axles.

Perhaps that's what its got between the frames, with the leading axle being cranked? Or it might be a marine-type boiler, like NER Class K as built.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Perhaps that's what its got between the frames, with the leading axle being cranked? Or it might be a marine-type boiler, like NER Class K as built.

Traction avant is an interesting notion.  Living with London Midland Locomotives describes a scheme to fit an axle hung geared unit to a 3F tank (never fully worked through because diesel shunters).  That might work here, connected to the front axle.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3