Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

18 hours ago, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

IMG_20210215_132437696.jpg

Blimey, mate! Look at that beaut of a steam lokey-mokey that just flown in from England!

It reminds me of Sierra Railroad No. 3, the Movie Star Engine used mainly in Western films and most notably as the Hooterville Cannonball from Petticoat Junction! I challenge anybody to make it in model form!

• Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 20:55, Traintresta said:

I like this very much, for some reason it just looks right to me.

For purely aesthetic reasons, I’d suggest a trailing bogie, making it a 4-2-4T ? .... and if a 4-2-4T, a slightly longer boiler? 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Those cylinders will empty the boiler in about half a dozen strokes, even at 90% cut off...

Perhaps it is one of those Vauclain compounds, given the period implied by its overall appearance - the ones with the HP cylinder one side, and the LP on the other? So we are seeing the LP cylinder? 

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 03:07, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

IMG_20210215_132437696.jpg

Has anyone else tried gradually covering up various bits of the loco up and gradually moving this process around. It is quite interesting. Suddenly I see familiar loco images and then different ones as I go? Although to be fair the last two nights I have had Very disturbed sleep....think the bloody squirrels are in the loft again. Squeaky little bstrds! 

Great drawing.:good:

• Funny 2

On 02/01/2021 at 18:44, The Johnster said:

The BTC concept of an integrated rail, road, and waterway transport system had never got off the ground, and was another baby thrown away with the bathwater; not sure why this happened when the concept had worked well in mainland Europe.  

Oh, the hard ones first, eh?

The short answer to that, is that in 1950/51 Labour were voted out and replaced by the Conservatives, who have never believed in an integrated national transport policy, still don’t and never will. Their policy was to de-nationalise Road haulage under the 1953 Transport Act, dispose of BRS assets and embark on a programme of road-building. 

The Beeching Report was commissioned by the then PM, Harold Macmillan, with the brief to “make railways profitable” with no reference to providing an integrated transport network. 

This would be the same Conservative Party which would subsequently give us the wholesale disposal of public assets in the 1980s and the early-1990s Rail privatisation programme. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

Not if you're working her compound! That drawing doesn't show the high-pressure cylinder on her fireman's side.

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Perhaps it is one of those Vauclain compounds, given the period implied by its overall appearance - the ones with the HP cylinder one side, and the LP on the other? So we are seeing the LP cylinder? 

I did wonder if that was the intention. A Vauclain compound has four cylinders, high pressure above low pressure on each side, with the pistons driving a common crosshead. But that's not what's drawn. Instead we see a piston valve driven by what looks like Walschaert's gear. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Oh, the hard ones first, eh?

The short answer to that, is that in 1950/51 Labour were voted out and replaced by the Conservatives, who have never believed in an integrated national transport policy, still don’t and never will. Their policy was to de-nationalise Road haulage under the 1953 Transport Act, dispose of BRS assets and embark on a programme of road-building. 

The Beeching Report was commissioned by the then PM, Harold Macmillan, with the brief to “make railways profitable” with no reference to providing an integrated transport network. 

This would be the same Conservative Party which would subsequently give us the wholesale disposal of public assets in the 1980s and the early-1990s Rail privatisation programme. 

Preaching to the choir, mate, but to be honest the other mob haven't done much better in regard to railways. I tried to keep party politics out of my assessment of the situation, while holding governments and the Treasury duly responsible for their part in the lossmaking and abysmal progress on railways in the UK that has been continual since about 1926.  To be fair the big 4 did a fair bit of investing in their early years, but the General Strike caused a pause in it and the 1929 Crash put the kybosh on it,

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I did wonder if that was the intention. A Vauclain compound has four cylinders, high pressure above low pressure on each side, with the pistons driving a common crosshead. But that's not what's drawn. Instead we see a piston valve driven by what looks like Walschaert's gear. 

That was my meaning, clearly “Vauclain compound” wasn’t quite what I intended - a two-cylinder compound with HP one side and LP on the other 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

That was my meaning, clearly “Vauclain compound” wasn’t quite what I intended - a two-cylinder compound with HP one side and LP on the other 

The von Borries system; T.W. Worsdell on the N.E.R built several classes of loco using this system.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, 62613 said:

The von Borries system; T.W. Worsdell on the N.E.R built several classes of loco using this system.

Worsdell-von Borries; they held patents jointly. T.W.'s engines were all inside-cylinder. Were von-Borries' outside?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scots region said:

Nothing I can remember on the 4-8-4s, but the 4-8-2 was rumoured to be named 'The Great Eastern'. 

In that case, maybe the LNER could have named the "I1s" after LNER predecessors. Like 'Great Central' or 'North Eastern'.

• Like 1