Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium

The Rolls Royce engines were running at 450hp each, the Hunslets at Scunthorpe were running at 562hp so they weren't exactly stressed. The Scunthorpe fleet has now been re-engined but the locos were built nearly 50 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_17

This appears to have a different view of the RR engines, claiming that they were replaced by Paxman units. Is this correct?

You'd expect any engine replacement to be with the standard Paxman engine - unless parts for the Rolls Royce engine were readily available at the relevant depots, their improved reliability might well be offset by increased costs resulting from being oddballs.

• Agree 2

For the record, I imagined the LNER Gresley T2 being made to resemble this Deviantart mock-up. Since what little I remember seeing says the engine resembled a GWR Night Owl somewhat. While another idea for a 2-8-0 I found on lner.info described said engine as being for West Highland Line - I'd personally make it a general freight engine for the entire LNER network.image.png.c670bb4b6f0931c8d2c1c2ff77a49266.png

Edited by Murican
  • Like 9

Another lner.info picture I say showed a model of the Peppercorn 4-8-2 plan that'd resemble Cock o' The North. I'd personally make my idea for the Peppercorn Mountains (The I2) use that as well, or go for the look of the Pacifics he did in real life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murican said:

For the record, I imagined the LNER Gresley T2 being made to resemble this Deviantart mock-up. Since what little I remember seeing says the engine resembled a GWR Night Owl somewhat. While another idea for a 2-8-0 I found on lner.info described said engine as being for West Highland Line - I'd personally make it a general freight engine for the entire LNER network.image.png.c670bb4b6f0931c8d2c1c2ff77a49266.png

Odd to see an LNER engine with a Belpaire boiler

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Now for some tidbits regarding my pre-existing ideas and how they'd interact with locomotives that were actually built.

- In the early LNER days, Gresley decides to built 15 of the Robinson J11 engines in 1924 at Darlington for use in Scotland. As a result, only 20 of the later J38s are built.

- Maunsell is allowed to build his S16 4-8-0 for use on heavy mineral traffic. This means not additional S15 4-6-0s, and a wider retirement of the N Class engines.

- The introduction of the P2 2-8-2 and I1 4-8-2 in 1937 leads to the replacement of twelve of the A1s and A3s on express passenger trains. As a result, many are instead sent to work on the former Great Central. Even more Pacifics end up on the GCR after Peppercorn succeeds Gresley in 1941, and builds his I2 4-8-2s.

- Due to the number of already existing Pacifics, Stanier only builds fifteen of his 9P "Admiral" 4-6-4 designs. All survive into BR days, and naturally a few are preserved.

- Stanier's creation of 10MT 4-8-4 initially does not affect the 8Fs. However, the LMS ultimately sells off more 8Fs than real life due to the surplus that the twenty-strong 10MT class created. Additionally, Stanier also considers building more 4-8-0s are his rebuild of the Lemon 9F 4-8-0.

- Peppercorn taking over from Gresley in 1941 means that the Peppercorn A1 rebuilds arrive earlier. However, the Peppercorn A2s are now the Peppercorn I2s.

- Due to the success of Colliet's "Cathedral" 4-8-0s, the GWR board allowed Hawksworth to design his County Class as another 4-8-0 class. Also in this reality, the 4-8-0 is known as the "Norfolk" in tribute to the Norfolk & Western in America. 

- Peppercorn's proposed 4-8-4 is built for the LNER in 1946 as the M3 Class (formerly used by the retired 0-6-4Ts). However, the LNER board orders runs two because they're partial to the six I1 class and 4-8-2s.

- Bulleid's Merchant Navy Class being 4-8-2s is gone through thanks to a longer disagreement with the Southern's board.

- Thanks to Riddles studying the Gresley V4s, the BR Standard 4MTs are 2-6-2s instead of 4-6-0s, and are especially common on fast goods trains, like the container trains that become more common across the world earlier than real life. (my own US railroad ideas have container trains by 1951).

- Twelve Caprotti/Crosti BR 5MTs are built, but are not replicated.

Edited by Murican
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Great idea - I did think they were missing something when a small shunting Standard wasn't designed.

But the diesel electric 08's were being delivered.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PhilJ W said:

But the diesel electric 08's were being delivered.

Again this is all imaginary so it doesn't matter, but one department of BR procured about 1500 diesel shunters in the 1950s, despite another department actively trying to get out of traffics that required shunting.  Hence huge numbers got sold off to industry or for scrap when they were barely used.  One of the most scandalous wastes by BR was the building of GW Hawksworth Pannier tanks (I believe they were honouring previously agreed contracts); good locos but many were withdrawn and scrapped before their first boiler overhaul was due. 

• Like 1

What about other American incursions into the UK market?  Maybe diesel-era.   Would Fairbanks-Morse's prime mover fit within the UK loading gauge?  Those were stylish locomotives, too.   I wonder if the F-M flair could be maintained with the restricted gauge?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

What about other American incursions into the UK market?  Maybe diesel-era.   Would Fairbanks-Morse's prime mover fit within the UK loading gauge?  Those were stylish locomotives, too.   I wonder if the F-M flair could be maintained with the restricted gauge?

The vertically opposed engine would be to high. The USSR copied the F-M engine as their loading gauge was a lot higher.

I read that the other day when looking at 2TE10L class.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Northroader said:

All the American outline diesels are done to HO scale, so you’ve got them automatically reduced to fit on a British OO scale layout anyway.

Life-Like have already made the effort(!) for you, I have one of these in my collection:

100_2761.jpg.99a944b09a2f2f36542d3367f742e071.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Random idea, how about a 1Co-Co1 'Super Deltic', like an amalgamation of LMS 10000 and a Class 55? Would that be able to be used on the ECML?

The Super Deltic actually got to the drawing board stage.  It was to be 2x2200hp Deltic engines in a Class-50-like body.

• Informative/Useful 1