Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sir douglas said:

i can't remember if this is already in the thread,

he have 90 with 2 sloped ends and 91 with sloped and flat ends so what about 2 flat ends?

R3890_Class-91-Intercity_RENDER_1.jpg.6e59c1d78f9e496abbfd784b32cdb4ad.jpg

Placed centrally like the APT power car? or perhaps as a freight locomotive?

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Holby Railway said:

or maybe if Stanier built one

Stanier authorised the construction of 45 superheated 0-6-0 goods engines in 1937-41. They didn't owe very much to his Swindon training but the operating department was very glad to have them.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Placed centrally like the APT power car? or perhaps as a freight locomotive?

Maybe not as daft an idea as it sounds. You could have two half rakes of trailers, with loco in the middle, & a DVT at each end, for a full rake, or one half rake with loco at the end for quieter times or less heavily loaded services. At night, the locos haul freight/sleepers.

I guess the disadvantage would be that the half rakes would be totally isolated from one another, unless the loco also had corridor connections, and half cabs that could be locked off like on EMU's.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sir douglas said:

i can't remember if this is already in the thread,

he have 90 with 2 sloped ends and 91 with sloped and flat ends so what about 2 flat ends?

R3890_Class-91-Intercity_RENDER_1.jpg.6e59c1d78f9e496abbfd784b32cdb4ad.jpg

24 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Maybe not as daft an idea as it sounds. You could have two half rakes of trailers, with loco in the middle, & a DVT at each end, for a full rake, or one half rake with loco at the end for quieter times or less heavily loaded services. At night, the locos haul freight/sleepers.

I guess the disadvantage would be that the half rakes would be totally isolated from one another, unless the loco also had corridor connections, and half cabs that could be locked off like on EMU's.

I've always thought the Wessex Electrics class 442s  design could have been configured as 'modern' push-pull sets. Maybe your 90½ class could have been designed with curved fronts to match?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Interesting how the air smoothing automatically makes me think WC/BoB, and the wheel arrangement seems irrelevant.

The 'powered tender' idea has been mentioned before, with a question about whether tractive effort would reduce as coal & water used up (= weight goes down)?

The tractive effort is a question often posed for any Garratt loco. In this case having the boiler on top of the front drive unit would help. As the 'tender' is smller than standard, the side tanks become more important, and possibly allow weight to be balanced better.

This was the latest of my designs baed on the Q1. The basic Q!type actually uses one of the loco bodies I had already designed with a couple of small changes(not visable). The Air Smoothered version is a modified version (can't remember if shorter or longer!) of one I had already done. Size wize it is based on the Q1 not a WC/BOB loco, which is a loco I have now had a look at as well. That is not to say, someone could not build one simply by chopping up a Dapol/Airfix kit.

I think that in reality both designs could have been built, mainly from stock parts, especially the Q1 basic version, much reducing the cost. The Air Smoothed version is simple body covering, and the tender is similar to the Q1 version, with rear look out both sides.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rodent279 said:

The concept was built and called the REP - TC combination with 33s and 73s in the mix too.  An excellent idea stupidly abandoned rather than spread. The Southern region, and privatised derivatives, were way ahead with walk through connections, now getting lost with the cucumber noses. 

• Like 2

Thomas had just recovered from the fright Percy had given him, when he saw this:

IMG_20210320_135138.jpg.f3130995632db8ebfcb4509f73f23cc0.jpg

I was fiddling with spares when I noticed that this body fitted onto a Bachmann Underground Ernie chassis (with the bogie covers, which foul the steps, removed). Does anyone know if this is the same size as a normal Railroad 08 body? I believe the body is the same as the Triang 08 - can anyone confirm this?

Feel free to invent a reason for the existence of a bo-bo 08 as well - I just noticed they fitted.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

Thomas had just recovered from the fright Percy had given him, when he saw this:

I was fiddling with spares when I noticed that this body fitted onto a Bachmann Underground Ernie chassis (with the bogie covers, which foul the steps, removed). Does anyone know if this is the same size as a normal Railroad 08 body? I believe the body is the same as the Triang 08 - can anyone confirm this?

Feel free to invent a reason for the existence of a bo-bo 08 as well - I just noticed they fitted.

Where can I find the chassis for it? I'm dying to try a similar project or a freelance diesel locomotive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Where can I find the chassis for it? I'm dying to try a similar project or a freelance diesel locomotive!

Second hand is your only choice now - they were discontinued some time ago. Phil Parker has written about it here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

3 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I have a diesel locomotive body looking for a chassis, that seems ideal for what I want.b

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

Easy - an EE proposal for a loco with more power than a "350" and better speed for main line trip workings (like the Class 14s on the Western).  Not wanted by BR but a few built for industry.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

Second hand is your only choice now - they were discontinued some time ago. Phil Parker has written about it here.

The UE chassis is I think same length as the Bachmann GE44, possibly the GE70, so that might fit. If it does then it is a far better chassis than the UE one. 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 20:46, Ramblin Rich said:

I've always thought the Wessex Electrics class 442s  design could have been configured as 'modern' push-pull sets. Maybe your 90½ class could have been designed with curved fronts to match?

I may be wrong, but I believe they have/ had the ETH connections for being hauled, and the control system might be compatible with the mk1 EMUs, 33/1s etc. Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 20:46, Ramblin Rich said:

One of my many scriblings involved pairing a single class 43 with 4x mk3s, the end one having a 442 cab as push/pull units. 2 sets could then join blunt end to blunt to form a longer set for busier times, or even have suitable additional Mk3s inserted between 2 blunt ends that might be useful on some services, like a buffet.

Edit: found it hiding way back on page 111, might need to zoom in on the picture! 

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One could justify the 350hp loco as a version of the 08 capable of running faster than the 0-6-0 versions for trip and transfer work; there is no need to increase the power rating, as it would be capable of replacing 0-6-0 steam tank locos on such work and matching their speed.  08s became a the go to for this work post-steam, the various 800hp 'road switchers', D82xx, D84xx, 10800, not having made the cut, and were a PITA for signalmen who had to get them out of the way of the normal traffic asap. 

The 08s were probably the best all round yard shunting/station pilot loco ever built in the UK, but it was something of a one trick pony.  We never really got the hang of 'road switchers', the nearest thing to ticking this box properly being the Rolls Royce Claytons.  In the event the work dried up at the same time as steam was eliminated, but I remember 08s on trip work in the 70s and even a mile or so distance was a traffic blocker. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Here’s something I’m not sure has been covered much on the thread - how about imaginary miniature railways? Any ideas?

Try this 7/8ths scale on 16.5mm 00 track = 9.1/4" factory railway I am working on...

Logging run  (2).jpg

Logging run  (1).JPG

20201026_212300.jpg

Workshop Building (20).jpg

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Lovely! Always enjoyed miniature railways. As is so true in the U.K., ‘Never overlook a little engine’!

I am also working on  Smallbrook Studio Tinkerbell kit.... currently stalled while I sort out motors, couplings .... and other projects

• Like 1