Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

With all those headlights I don't think it'll need the wipacs...

I doubt the number boards would be included on a British loco, and it'll need headcodes of some sort, either discs or alpha numeric.

I'd suggest starting from a Nohab Di3 (or it's clones), since that's a European-ised F unit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, simon b said:

I think I've posted this one before, English Electric built the L class electrics for Australia but what if they had found use over here?

spacer.png

ISTR that's what the Tri-ang Transcontinental Bo-Bo Diesel and Electric locos were based on.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The NSWGR 42 Class is pretty much a straight F-unit with European buffing and drawgear.

1 hour ago, simon b said:

I think I've posted this one before, English Electric built the L class electrics for Australia but what if they had found use over here?

spacer.png

Yes I'm sure there was some discussion of EE locos on the MSW lines somewhere at some point.  I wonder if the result would have a more typical British EE styling to fit the loading gauge?  Another use for all those 37s displaced by the forthcoming Accurascale model perhaps, along with the early build EE 1500hp type 3s.

• Like 2

The subject of individual design house styling with regard to the AC electrics has been debated many times. It was agreed that the class 82 would have basically looked like a steam engine but English Electric's AL3/83 could have looked like a baby deltic had it not been for the fact that small BoBo electrics with noses won't work because the pantograph head has to be nearly bin line with the bogie pivot point, so the pan would have to fit over the cab. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 298 said:

English Electric's AL3/83 could have looked like a baby deltic had it not been for the fact that small BoBo electrics with noses won't work because the pantograph head has to be nearly bin line with the bogie pivot point, so the pan would have to fit over the cab. 

That doesn't seem to be the case with the VR L Class where the panto is distinctly offset from the bogie pivot.  Granted the loco isn't a BoBo but I can't see that making a difference as it would still cause some offset on curves.  Was it permissible because the locomotives weren't intended for high speed?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, simon b said:

Not an F unit, but close.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Built for the 3' 6" gauge (Australia), so just about fits British Standard Gauge loading gauge!

Both narrow gauge and standard gauge versions were built. Commonwealth Railways operated in both gauges but were in the process of making all their lines standard gauge. These locomotives were delivered with spare standard gauge bogies to facilitate the changeover

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A history of the locomotives here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Railways_NSU_class

In the book on BRCW there is a photograph of the same train from the same angle and there is nothing unusual about the rear door of the first coach, it might be a mark on the original photo.

I think the MK1 must have been necessary as a "translator" between the buckeye coupler of the loco and the (presumably) screw couplers of the quin-arts. Though why not just use a full rake of MK1's?

Edit-were the NSU's air braked? Is the MK1 in the train unbraked, but through air piped temporarily, to the air braked quin-arts?

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Is it a Mk. I? this was in the early 50's when Mk. I's were only just coming into service. Although it could be one produced by the locomotive builder (BRCW) and still to be delivered to BR.

Yes, it's a MK1, you can tell from the lack of side trusses. On a MK1, they are under the centerline.

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Back on topic but still on the NSU's. Its a pity that BR didn't consider a version as according to the Wiki article they were reliable and well thought of. 

Effectively, BR did buy a version, but a Bo-Bo instead of an A1A-A1A. We know them as class 26/7.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, a Mk.1 Third Open by the roof vents. Possibly BRCW built too as they built a batch of 100 dia. 93 Tourist Third Opens during 1955-6 (4258-4357).

By then the locomotives had been delivered to Australia so its origin is a bit of a mystery. In other pics of the same train the carriage doors are open and several people in civvies are standing around it so its obviously been used for carrying the engineers.

• Like 1