Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

If my surmise is right about the quins being required for air braking, and the MK1 to translate between coupling types, with a through air pipe, then it would still be fail-safe, as if the temporary brake pipe parted or failed, or the couplings parted, the brakes on the quins and the loco would still come on.

It's an unusual arrangement though, as the MK1 would be effectively "unfitted", going against what I understand as the usual arrangement, whereby an unfitted vehicle would be marshalled behind the fitted vehicles.

I wonder if special authorisation had to be given for this, and whether the test runs were done with the road blocked to other traffic?

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I can imagine a pair of Bo-Bo NSU's topping and tailing a rake of Mk. I's. IC75 anyone?

Pretty much that was the first Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pull service, except it was mk2's and class 27's.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

By then the locomotives had been delivered to Australia so its origin is a bit of a mystery. In other pics of the same train the carriage doors are open and several people in civvies are standing around it so its obviously been used for carrying the engineers.

That's why I said possibly, as DEL7-14 weren't in service until 1955. That batch of coaches were delivered between some time after January 1955 and October 1956, but it seems that test was in February 1954 so although it is a Mk.1 TO (or TTO) it couldn't have been one of the BRCW batch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

That's why I said possibly, as DEL7-14 weren't in service until 1955. That batch of coaches were delivered between some time after January 1955 and October 1956, but it seems that test was in February 1954 so although it is a Mk.1 TO (or TTO) it couldn't have been one of the BRCW batch.

According to the Vintage Carriage Trust carriage survey, BRCW had built some mk1 corridor second's in 1953, so not impossible that it was one of those. Or just a spare MK1 rustled up from Tyseley or elsewhere?

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Corridor Thirds (pre-1956, so not yet called Seconds) have different roof vents, which are visible in the photo, so it definitely isn't one of those. Also the coach in the test was said to be a 'saloon'. If someone can find a better reproduction with the number visible we could find out if it was a Third Open (2+1 seating) or Tourist Third Open (2+2 seating). Given it included invited guests I suspect it would be the former rather than the latter. Through air-piping was specially added for the test.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 30/04/2021 at 00:31, Flying Pig said:

The NSWGR 42 Class is pretty much a straight F-unit with European buffing and drawgear.

Yes I'm sure there was some discussion of EE locos on the MSW lines somewhere at some point.  I wonder if the result would have a more typical British EE styling to fit the loading gauge?  Another use for all those 37s displaced by the forthcoming Accurascale model perhaps, along with the early build EE 1500hp type 3s.

Hi,

Winter 1991/92, Phil Atkins wrote in Railways South East on page 18: “During last 18 months of Maunsell's tenure Percy Bollen produced alternative designs for electric locomotives in Bo-Bo, 1-Bo Bo-1, 1A-Bo-A1 and Bo-Bo-Bo configurations”. Did anybody ever see at least one of these diagrams? Maybe some technical data?

Regards,

The Signal Box Cat

• Like 1

IMGP0037c.JPG.7f185b07507da522a20bc217d57142c7.JPG

Big Steam.

It's all be done before, imagineering and discussing the types of locomotives that could have been.

In this case to carried on improving the timings of West Coat trains between Glasgow and London.

How to get more power than and haulage traction than the last big loco the Coronation class pacifics.

From 1971 The Railway Magazine page 83 and O.S. Nock's article on improved west coast steam superpower.

This example uses a post 1940's King type boiler, eight coupled wheels, a streamline casing and a large eight wheeled tender to avoid having to use pickup water troughs at speed.

It comes with a good pedigree of imagination of practical locomotive men who worked in the age of steam.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2021 at 21:42, simon b said:

I think I've posted this one before, English Electric built the L class electrics for Australia but what if they had found use over here?

spacer.png

I wonder what a pair of F7's with a B unit would look like in either BR blue or 2 tone green on somewhere like Hornsey Broadway on a long coal train...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

I wonder what a pair of F7's with a B unit would look like in either BR blue or 2 tone green on somewhere like Hornsey Broadway on a long coal train...

I think blue large logo would suit an F7, or for that matter, an SD40, and quite a few other North American types. BR Green might work on a GP9-but they look a bit like a class 15 after being coached by the East German shot put team!

Edit-this is a GP9, for those who were wondering.

GP9_1921_MBTA_Boston_05092003_29477130

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 7

Its an interesting observation that the F7 elevation above isn't far off the GWR broad gauge. Same height, but 8 inches narrower. It would be rather close on the roof corners though.

Edited by JimC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Here's why an F7 wouldn't get very far - Class 47 and F7 end elevations to the same scale:

F7_47.jpg.0430cbab3f51890ba7ffe59ac6c4444b.jpg

It's also why the body of a Class 59 looks so squashed and elongated.

This pic put's things into perspective, Merehead's SW1001 shunter.

spacer.png

There is also one at Whatley.

spacer.png

Edited by simon b
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Here's why an F7 wouldn't get very far - Class 47 and F7 end elevations to the same scale:

F7_47.jpg.0430cbab3f51890ba7ffe59ac6c4444b.jpg

It's also why the body of a Class 59 looks so squashed and elongated.

That's why a modified H0 model would fit 00

• Like 1
  • Agree 3