Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2021 at 11:49, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

still at it in 1975... clearly that middle cylinder needs a bit of a lube

Watching DB steam reminded me of an incident on the Torbay Steam Railway..

Back in Easter 1975 we had to turn the flanges on 7827 Lydham Manor... the only available wheel lathe in those days was at Laira Deisel Depot however they could only turn tender wheels or pony wheels, the big lathe had long since gone from Newton Abbott works... 

A local tool makers provided a cutting tool to the correct profile that we bolted onto the brake hanger and by removing all the other brake blocks apart from the tender with a careful brake application could trundle up and down the run round loop at Paignton Queens Park in between the service trains, useing the tender hand brake to stop

So Pete Roach acting as driver and myself as fireman with Nat Clifford the CME guiding the flange cutting we got the job underway. 

Now bear in mind both Pete and myself where not 16 yet and still in our last year at school (those where the days... cant do that now with H&S)  part way through the second day we became aware of a German shouting at us ... the next thing we knew this rotund German had jumped off the platform and was making his way onto the footplate!... 

We eventually got him to talk slowly in pidgin English - it turned out he was a shed master from the Hof Valley area " vou haf never seen a fiffty or oh one! - vou haf never lived!" He then proceeded to show us how to fire by filling the box up! Something we didnt want as we only needed a thin fire for what we where doing.

In the end Nat off loaded him onto 4588 for a footplate trip to get rid of him - where he fired both ways as if the plan was to empty the bunker...

Edited by John Besley
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

That's the second time I've seen the word "thrice" used this week. Waiting for the third time now.

It will be along in a trice.......

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

image.png.e2b9c400b55c8d90ae81cba56051a9f3.png

For my own AU of the Island of Sodor, I'd created a 4-6-0 as a mixed-traffic class, the NWR Castles. They were built at Crewe by the LMS, as it was too big of a job for the Crovan's Gate workshops, for the sake of tackling Sodor's many hills. Ulfstead Castle was the first to be named, followed by Thorkell, Suddery, Arlesdale, Tidmouth, Hawin Doorey, and Callan Castle.

Based on the 4-cylindered GWR Kings, it has Gresley A1 outside cylinders, valve gear, and dome, a slightly modified Black 5 cab, and a B17 tender. Although depicted here in blue, I later revised my coloring scheme that all mixed-traffic engines would be red with black lining.

Edit: I originally had them as the "Landmark Class" since I'd assumed the GWR held the rights to the term "Castles," but BernardTPM corrected me on that.

Edited by JayWizzleHizzle
Correcting an error on my own research
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, JayWizzleHizzle said:

For my own AU of the Island of Sodor, I'd created a 4-6-0 as a mixed-traffic class. Although all 7 were named after Sudrian castles, they were legally classified as the Landmarks, since the GWR held the rights to "Castle Class." They were built at Crewe by the LMS, as it was too big of a job for the Crovan's Gate workshops, for the sake of tackling Sodor's many hills. Ulfstead Castle was the first to be named, followed by Thorkell, Suddery, Arlesdale, Tidmouth, Hawin Doorey, and Callan Castle.

Based on the 4-cylindered GWR Kings, it has Gresley A1 outside cylinders, valve gear, and dome, a slightly modified Black 5 cab, and a B17 tender. Although depicted here in blue, I later revised my coloring scheme that all mixed-traffic engines would be red with black lining.

Honestly Sodor always seemed like a place that would breed... unique locomotives due to the fact that, as the island is hilly and somewhat sparsely populated, conditions unmatched by the UK

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JayWizzleHizzle said:

lthough all 7 were named after Sudrian castles, they were legally classified as the Landmarks, since the GWR held the rights to "Castle Class."

The GWR had no 'rights' to anything like that. Indeed the Highland Railway had already built a Castle class (also 4-6-0s) in 1900.

• Agree 2

Always up for a Sudrian spin on things, and the Castles/Landmarks are something I'd never thought of. A stroke of genius on your part, far superior to the muddle of one-offs and prototypes the island ended up with. Think we need a banker for Gordon's Hill though, or we'll be met with even more dangerous situations than Busy Going Backwards!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Always up for a Sudrian spin on things, and the Castles/Landmarks are something I'd never thought of. A stroke of genius on your part, far superior to the muddle of one-offs and prototypes the island ended up with. Think we need a banker for Gordon's Hill though, or we'll be met with even more dangerous situations than Busy Going Backwards!

Sudrian bankers courtesy of @Corbs (I think his Gordon's Hill is a bit bigger than Awdry's):

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, JayWizzleHizzle said:

For my own AU of the Island of Sodor, I'd created a 4-6-0 as a mixed-traffic class, the NWR Castles. They were built at Crewe by the LMS, as it was too big of a job for the Crovan's Gate workshops, for the sake of tackling Sodor's many hills. Ulfstead Castle was the first to be named, followed by Thorkell, Suddery, Arlesdale, Tidmouth, Hawin Doorey, and Callan Castle.

Edit: I originally had them as the "Landmark Class" since I'd assumed the GWR held the rights to the term "Castles," but BernardTPM corrected me on that.

Is this in fact what an LMS Castle might have looked like, if Swindon had provided those drawings requested by Fowler?

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Is this in fact what an LMS Castle might have looked like, if Swindon had provided those drawings requested by Fowler?

One imagines that an LMS version of the Castle would have had the same relationship to the real thing as the Royal Scot did to the Lord Nelson.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, JimC said:

One imagines that an LMS version of the Castle would have had the same relationship to the real thing as the Royal Scot did to the Lord Nelson.

A 3 cylinder Castle then? Sounds interesting!

• Like 1

I always though that Sodor was way too small to justify anything as big as a Gordon. The main line being basically from Barrow in Furness to the Isle of Man, which is what, 30 miles? It wouldn't need anything with a tender for that kind of thing...

Edit - ok, it's about 50 miles, but still not far enough to justify tender locos. A nice fleet of big tank engines would be just the job.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2