Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

In both cases, I'm thinking in terms of a specific drawing being used. Were the BR standards fitted with a whistle to a Derby LDO drawing of 1875?

I thought the BR Standards used a GWR whistle along with the injector and SR Clack valve

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, John Besley said:

I thought the BR Standards used a GWR whistle along with the injector and SR Clack valve

Oh, so in that case, given the Great Western's well-known conservatism in design, the whistle drawing was probably signed off by Gooch.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

4-6-6T, I believe? 

If its got 6 carrying wheels and a virtually tender sized water and coal tank at the back then the advantages over a 4-6-0 tender engine seem limited.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Hi John,

The really good live steam injectors on the GWR were not designed by the GWR but by a small firm run by two brothers which the GWR later purchased the design rights to manufacture them for themselves.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

4-6-6T, I believe? 

NYC%201297.jpg

23 minutes ago, JimC said:

If its got 6 carrying wheels and a virtually tender sized water and coal tank at the back then the advantages over a 4-6-0 tender engine seem limited.

Agreed, it looks more like a 'rigid tender' rather than what we'd think of as a tank loco. There aren't even any tanks alongside the boiler.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 11:49, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

still at it in 1975... clearly that middle cylinder needs a bit of a lube

I didn't know that super 8 film could ever be as good as this.  Until the closing credits I thought it must have been 16mm.  In quality it certainly beats so much UK film from the same era.  Excellent content too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

The back tank has quite a long pedigree.

Link to a thread by Mike Oxon on RMweb, fascinating model of GWR experimental no. 9, a 4-2-4 back tank with outside valve gear.

"William Dean's Express Tank - MikeOxon's Pre-Grouping Blog - RMweb" https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/14782-william-deans-express-tank/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Adam88 said:

I didn't know that super 8 film could ever be as good as this.  Until the closing credits I thought it must have been 16mm.  In quality it certainly beats so much UK film from the same era.  Excellent content too.

It is fantastic isn't it?  It's been digitally scanned frame by frame and then stabilised, probably also colour and contrast adjustments.  It really brings the past to life seeing it in near contemporary quality.  Here's a little video outlining the process - check out the home-made scanner!  Looks like the early days of the space race!

and here's the results compared to the original...

Sorry about the thread drift, I really should park this somewhere it would get a wider audience.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, JimC said:

Presumably it doesn't suffer from most of the issues that tender first running creates, and therefore doesn't need turning. Which is ideal for an intensive relatively short distance suburban operation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Presumably it doesn't suffer from most of the issues that tender first running creates, and therefore doesn't need turning. Which is ideal for an intensive relatively short distance suburban operation.

That is why the LT&S, Great Eastern and Metropolitan railways and many others used tank engines.

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I had assumed that this was its purpose. The Forney 0-4-4 was used for similar duties, I believe they ran bunker-first where possible    American railroads didn't have the problem of accommodating stations amid medieval street plans, and even their suburban stations are large by our standards 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 3

On 05/07/2021 at 16:42, Michael Edge said:

Apart from the back end frame arrangement which was perpetuated in the Princesses and Duchesses, didn't disappear until the last two Ivatt pacifics.

I think the arrangements for the motion was derived from Hughes' Pacific, but the cylinder arrangement was de Glehn via Churchward with later modifications on the Duchess. Something of a hybrid!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I had assumed that this was its purpose. The Forney 0-4-4 was used for similar duties, I believe they ran bunker-first where possible    American railroads didn't have the problem of accommodating stations amid medieval street plans, and even their suburban stations are large by our standards 

Medieval, maybe not, but some stations were tightly hemmed in by urban areas, particularly early lines in the NE. Here's Salem, for example ;)

w_salem04.jpg

train_tunnel_jerrys.jpg

salem-train-depot-ssu.jpg

4a19779a.jpg

• Like 18

5 hours ago, Curlew said:

Medieval, maybe not, but some stations were tightly hemmed in by urban areas, particularly early lines in the NE. Here's Salem, for example ;)

w_salem04.jpg

train_tunnel_jerrys.jpg

salem-train-depot-ssu.jpg

4a19779a.jpg

Wow!  That is stunning as a prototype, complete with the railway dropping down into the road after a tramway section.  And the building practically screams Steampunk too... I'm suddenly feeling the need to find out a lot more about this station...  Thanks for sharing :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

17 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I had assumed that this was its purpose. The Forney 0-4-4 was used for similar duties, I believe they ran bunker-first where possible 

Matthias Forney insisted this was the correct way to drive them and they were actually a 4-4-0T.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Matthias Forney insisted this was the correct way to drive them and they were actually a 4-4-0T.

Convention, counting from the smokebox end, seems to differ. The Glyn Valley locos were classed as 0-4-2 despite being intended for cab-first operation. The later SP cab-first locos were 4-8-8-2 counting from the cab end, being very much designed to be operated in one direction only. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I think the arrangements for the motion was derived from Hughes' Pacific, but the cylinder arrangement was de Glehn via Churchward with later modifications on the Duchess. Something of a hybrid!

It was just the rocker to transfer the valve rod motion to the inside cylinders and this came from the L&Y Dreadnought 4-6-0.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

What are the crank settings on that loco? It sounds very different from an A4 or a Jubilee.

Looks like it's a DB class 50 or 52 2-10-0, in which case it has 2 outside cylinders, with cranks presumably at 90°. An A4 or Jubilee has 3 cylinders, so will have that distinctive "3 beats to the bar" of a 3 cylinder engine.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2021 at 08:58, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

It is fantastic isn't it?  It's been digitally scanned frame by frame and then stabilised, probably also colour and contrast adjustments.  It really brings the past to life seeing it in near contemporary quality.  Here's a little video outlining the process - check out the home-made scanner!  Looks like the early days of the space race!

and here's the results compared to the original...

Sorry about the thread drift, I really should park this somewhere it would get a wider audience.

Was one of the collaborators on this project perchance a certain wild-haired older gentleman? First name 'Doc', last name 'Brown'? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1