Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Looks like it's a DB class 50 or 52 2-10-0, in which case it has 2 outside cylinders, with cranks presumably at 90°. An A4 or Jubilee has 3 cylinders, so will have that distinctive "3 beats to the bar" of a 3 cylinder engine.

Oops - I had assumed it was the same type as in the previous film (Class 44) and hence three cylinders.  It's obviously a 2 or 4 cylinder loco as it starts away, but it does seem to lose a beat as it accelerates, which threw me.

• Like 1

Here's a new idea I had based on something I saw on DeviantArt.

After Stanier has success with his "Admiral" 9P 4-6-4s in the 1930s, BR builds their own class of Hudsons that essentially are Stanier 9Ps with typical BR Standard characteristics.

What makes the class unique is being named after various American railroads, an idea presented to Riddles derived from the "Hudson" name used for most 4-6-4 engines. These names, like the ones on the 6MT and 7 Pacifics, are on plaques on the smoke deflectors.

91200: United States Railroads

91201: New Haven

91202: Pennsylvania

91203: Southern

91204: Union Pacific

91205: Atlantic Coast Line

91206: Illinois Central

91207: Santa Fe

91208: New York Central

91209: Baltimore & Ohio

91210: Milwaukee Road

91211: Rio Grande

91212: Chesapeake & Ohio

91213: Southern Pacific

91214: Great Northern

91215: Boston & Maine

91216: Louisville & Nashville

91217: Erie Railroad

91218: Burlington Route

91219: Western Pacific

Edited by Murican
  • Like 3

I just tried sketching a GW outline 2-6-6T based on the 7200 2-8-2T, but with carrying wheels in place of the rear drivers and an even more extended rear bunker, but its speedily apparent that throwover at the rear would make it a hopeless proposition. I wonder how the US engine managed. The driving wheels could be articulated too I suppose, but much easier to have a tender.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, JimC said:

I just tried sketching a GW outline 2-6-6T based on the 7200 2-8-2T, but with carrying wheels in place of the rear drivers and an even more extended rear bunker, but its speedily apparent that throwover at the rear would make it a hopeless proposition. I wonder how the US engine managed. The driving wheels could be articulated too I suppose, but much easier to have a tender.

Don't see the point of a 6-wheel pony truck.  A 4-6-4T 72xx would be interesting though......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, JimC said:

This is in fact exactly what was done with some rigid frame electric locos, the Swiss Ae4/7's and the Dutch 1000 class electrics for a start. The outer driving axles were able to pivot, the inner pair could move laterally. Wheel arrangement was something like 1-A-Bo-A-1.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

None preserved, new build completed in what looks suspiciously like EWS colors named 'Wisconsin Central' 71215?

Admittedly I did have the idea of preserving at least two of them. Sicne the Boyd-verse preserves more steam around the world in general. Although that definitely would not be that bad an idea for a new-build, since I'm thinking the Standard 9Ps that survive would all be stuffed and mounted.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Murican said:

Here's a new idea I had based on something I saw on DeviantArt.

After Stanier has success with his "Admiral" 9P 4-6-4s in the 1930s, BR builds their own class of Hudsons ... 

Baltics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Jorrox said:

Baltics.

My bad. My Americanism slips again.

Although, my BR Standard 4-6-4s later on in the Boyd-verse do have a connection to the Hudson name - being named after American railroads.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

None preserved, new build completed in what looks suspiciously like EWS colors named 'Wisconsin Central' 71215?

BTW, with my additional locomotives, this 'Wisconsin Central' new-build would be numbered 91220.

• Like 1

I don't see what purpose would have been served, by building 4-6-4s. The US Hudsons were specifically built for one duty, hauling very heavy, very fast trains along a route with few curves or gradients - the Hudson valley, in fact, the famous Water Level Route. They hauled tenders carrying 27 tons of coal, and refilled halfway (500 miles) while the British designs used tenders of 7 to 9 tons capacity for the 400-mile routes to Edinburgh or Glasgow. The Hudsons were far beyond the ability of any human fireman. 

The famous Hudsons never really found much favour elsewhere, other than on the Santa Fe, and they were a different breed. The PRR, a line with operating profiles much closer to British usage, found the 4-6-2 type very much to their liking. 

No, the LNER showed that it was possible to build 2-8-2 types capable of high speed running, and trains too long for the British network. The LNER 2-8-2, and BR 2-10-0 types showed that 90mph running with a front pony truck was possible. The LNER built one 4-6-4 and didn't repeat the exercise. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/07/2021 at 21:15, Northroader said:

There’s a very nice layout, old time era, based on this. For “Arkham” read “Salem”.

http://www.ottgalleries.com/MRR.html

Many thanks for posting this link. I'm a big HP Lovecraft fan so this ticks all sorts of boxes. I might ask to see the British Museum's copy of the Necronomicon now, to see if there are any maps of the branchline to Innsmouth!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I don't see what purpose would have been served, by building 4-6-4s. The US Hudsons were specifically built for one duty, hauling very heavy, very fast trains along a route with few curves or gradients - the Hudson valley, in fact, the famous Water Level Route. They hauled tenders carrying 27 tons of coal, and refilled halfway (500 miles) while the British designs used tenders of 7 to 9 tons capacity for the 400-mile routes to Edinburgh or Glasgow. The Hudsons were far beyond the ability of any human fireman. 

The famous Hudsons never really found much favour elsewhere, other than on the Santa Fe, and they were a different breed. The PRR, a line with operating profiles much closer to British usage, found the 4-6-2 type very much to their liking. 

No, the LNER showed that it was possible to build 2-8-2 types capable of high speed running, and trains too long for the British network. The LNER 2-8-2, and BR 2-10-0 types showed that 90mph running with a front pony truck was possible. The LNER built one 4-6-4 and didn't repeat the exercise. 

Fast running with a front pony is possible, but I'm not sure it is advisable or should be acceptable in the normal course of running a timetable; increased costs in terms of abused per way and locomotives that shake themselves to pieces.  Good riding is not just desirable from the point of view of crew comfort.  A four wheeled front bogie is a much better idea, and my view is that the ultimate British steam passenger loco, build for 100mph+ timetable running with 12 coach trains, would have been an enlarged 'Duke of Gloucester' in the form of an oil-fired 4-8-4 with 6'10" or even 7' driving wheels, in line with the later designs of very succesful fast passenger locos on many of the world's railways, including the 'Water Level Route' and the Union Pacific, the latter not famous for level track.

A 4-6-4 seems to be a bit of a one trick pony, only the NYC's Hudsons coming to mind as successful.  The LNER's single example was the 'Hush Hush', which was an experiment and not really designed or built for any commercial purpose; it happened to be available for rebuilding in A4 style at a time when another A4 was a useful thing to have, but failed to distinguish itself or prove superior to A4s or Peppercorn A1s.  It was not such a disaster as to not be allowed to work out it's economic life, though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, tythatguy1312 said:

I was just looking for pictures of an LMS Coronation in the US and I found, what I would describe, as the weirdest fictional design since Henry The Green Engine as built

LMS Coronation Duplex.jpg

No.

No no no no no no no.

No.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was just looking for pictures of an LMS Coronation in the US and I found, what I would describe, as the weirdest fictional design since Henry The Green Engine as built

With a bit of pruning, there's an interesting streamlined Atlantic lurking there. Or perhaps it is actually two 4-4-0s double-heading and hiding under the bathtub for shame.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

Copy of a real locomotive

1280px-Pennsylvania_RR_streamlined_locom

• Like 3

I decided to revise my Standard 9P 4-6-4s to be named after British authors instead. The fictional history being that when the decision was made, some of the "American Railroad" nameplates has already been created, so said nameplates went to several Standard Class 5 4-6-0s instead.

91200: William Shakespeare

91201: Joseph Conrad

91202: Frances Hodgson Burnett

91203: Arthur Conan Doyle

91204: H. G. Wells

91205: Mary Elizabeth Braddon

91206: Charlotte Brontë

91207: George Eliot

91208: Bram Stoker

91209: Mary Shelley

91210: Rudyard Kipling

91211: William Wordsworth

91212: Kenneth Grahame

91213: Robert Louis Stevenson

91214: Jane Austen

91215: H. Rider Haggard

91216: Samuel Butler

91217: George Gissing

91218: Anthony Hope

91219: Lewis Caroll

Edited by Murican
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Something like this might be more generally useful in a British context:

image.png.0cfa4d756de84cd51849e7aba77dbee9.png

Hi Stephen,

Late to the party as I posted this ages ago:

DSCF0516.JPG.1e0ec973e2ea39d051d322b11e40c12b.JPG

It was made from the leftovers from this :

DSCF0549.JPG.535fd8732ac9c2729f8afab80222c929.JPG

Gibbo,

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Curlew said:

Copy of a real locomotive

1280px-Pennsylvania_RR_streamlined_locom

PRR's T1 was an interesting design but how many know about it's bigger brother, the monstrous S1? Possibly the fastest steam loco ever built if you believe the story's...

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Stephen,

Late to the party as I posted this ages ago:

True, very true. Cutting down an outside-cylinder loco, it's difficult to get below four-coupled. But I felt my streamlined Atlantic was a bit too front-heavy, so here's something inspired by those wonderful high-stepping French 2-4-2s:

image.png.76b4b7cceb36bb645e806e06f594f8f4.png

• Like 4