Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

And lastly, a case of the proverbial shovel - a Hornby Railroad Black Five with nothing original left of it. Bought on a punt on ebay, advertised as an estate sale as a finescale Hornby Five it turned out to have a scratch/kit chassis with Mashima motor and 6' drivers , well put together and runs well.However, the builder had kept the old body and tender without even a repaint, so another GBL Five body was hacked down in to the proposed LMS  Class Four - my third take on it now, and the spare Mogul tender attached, which has turned it in to a rather fetching little beast, I think... Just had its sealing spray of supposedly satin varnish today and is now ready for toning down, as are the rest of the batch which will keep me occupied for the next whiles.

20210722_231517.jpg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

10 hours ago, Corbs said:

You win the thread. May as well close it now ;) 

Cheers Corbs - very glad you like her. Bob Fridd is still taking on commissions. His prices are reasonable and he's the most incredibly knowledgeable person I've ever met on railway history.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Thanks, forgot that the later batches were built abroad.Would have made a nice little Highland loco with more restrained boiler fittings......

Absolutely! A different smokebox door, buffers and a bit less plumbing and she'd look very well in a number of different pre-grouping liveries.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rodent279 said:

The 2-6-0 is reminiscent of this Norwegian 2-6-0 on the KESR.

376_Bodiam_20161026_140333

I'd forgotten how attractive these little moguls are. Out of ticket at Tenterden at the moment, I think - or was a year ago when I last visited.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Not according to the worksplate.

376_KESR_20161026_130229

Unless it was rebuilt by N&H.

It is a neat little machine though, probably not far out of UK loading gauge, and certainly wouldn't look out of place on many branches and secondary routes.

Edit:- öfverhettare apparently means superheater in Norwegian. Maybe the plate only refers to the superheater?

The NVR has a little Scandinavian railcar which it uses in winter. The main problem is that it appears to have been built to serve platforms about a foot lower than UK, so getting on and off is a bit challenging. 

IMG_2697.JPG

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Railway Magazine are the ones for April fool's jokes.....

I'm sure there was one in the early 1980s saying that the redundant electrical equipment from the Woodhead route would be re-erected along the West of England line to Exeter. There was a picture of the proposed loco in large logo livery, which I think turned out to be a Dutch NS class 1200 electric loco https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_1200 possibly intended as a role reversal given the class 76s went to the Netherlands.

So there's another scenario - electrify the WoE line. More likely it would be 3rd rail but why not extend 1500V overhead to other lines? Would it even be possible to run 2x750V motors in series off 1500V overhead, then switch them in parallel off 3rd rail 750V? :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I'm sure there was one in the early 1980s saying that the redundant electrical equipment from the Woodhead route would be re-erected along the West of England line to Exeter. There was a picture of the proposed loco in large logo livery, which I think turned out to be a Dutch NS class 1200 electric loco https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_1200 possibly intended as a role reversal given the class 76s went to the Netherlands.

So there's another scenario - electrify the WoE line. More likely it would be 3rd rail but why not extend 1500V overhead to other lines? Would it even be possible to run 2x750V motors in series off 1500V overhead, then switch them in parallel off 3rd rail 750V? :O

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the motors in EM1/2's were actually 750v DC machines, connected in pairs, permanently in series.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

It was Railway World, I think, and iirc it showed one of the Westoe colliery system electric locos doctored into large logo blue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

A bit more on my rewheeled Clans - I took the opportunity of some spare K1 drivers popping up on ebay to do a possible more freight orientated version with 5'3" drivers - replacement for the HR Clan Goods perhaps...Also gave it a double chimney to see if it cured the Clans perceived steaming shortcomings. The slightly larger drivered    one can be seen above. Still at its put together stage, hence bits hanging loose but it has passed running trials   laude and is now ready to become a proper loco.

20210722_231650.jpg

Really love the smaller wheeled freight version, it looks right, any chance of a bigger picture of it?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rodent279 said:

It was Railway World, I think, and iirc it showed one of the Westoe colliery system electric locos doctored into large logo blue.

That sounds plausible, I really couldn't remember much detail. Frightening that it's getting on for 40 years ago....!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Really love the smaller wheeled freight version, it looks right, any chance of a bigger picture of it?

Thanks, sure, more to follow once they get finished off and put to work. Must confess I too was taken with how it looked on the layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, tythatguy1312 said:

following that I went on a bit of a custom loco binge and I may have gotten a bit carried away

LNER Thompson Trplex.png

Imagine the length of the brush required to clean out the tubes.........

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Folks, am wondering if we try to separate the wild photoshops and the 'might have been/could have been' discussions. The cut and shut thread here is basically all freestyle photoshoppery.

Sorry if this comes across as grouchy, I've found that the discussion on might-have-beens is really informative and interesting but tends to get buried under the whacky stuff. I'm as guilty of this as anyone!

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, tythatguy1312 said:

still kinda questioning how that 9f 0-10-0 would go

It would probably spend most of its time falling over, the boiler is way too high for a decapod, and the lack of a leading wheel would make the ride quality utterly miserable. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, scots region said:

It would probably spend most of its time falling over, the boiler is way too high for a decapod, and the lack of a leading wheel would make the ride quality utterly miserable. 

I worked on that

9f 0-10-0 concept.png

Edited by tythatguy1312
worked on that
  • Like 3

A lot of these sort of photoshops, fall into the trap of inappropriate technology. 

The 0-8-0 was a common type in Edwardian days, and 0-6-0 types were still being built into the late 1940s. They typically feature saturated steam, often (although not always) in conjunction with inside cylinders. Inside cylinders are typically further back than outside cylinders. This produces a general overall profile featuring a short smokebox, which pretty much forms the front of the profile with short front frames and the buffer beam almost directly below. The running boards are low (outside valve gear is almost never present) and daylight under the boiler, minimal - just enough to oil the valve gear, at best. 

Hence, no BR Standard 0-6-0 - an obsolete type for haulage, by then. The longer smokebox required for the superheater, and the additional weight at the front dictated the use of front carrying wheels. 

So a "BR Standard 0-10-0" just looks wrong, because it is wrong and the well-known principle applies. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

A lot of these sort of photoshops, fall into the trap of inappropriate technology. 

The 0-8-0 was a common type in Edwardian days, and 0-6-0 types were still being built into the late 1940s. They typically feature saturated steam, often (although not always) in conjunction with inside cylinders. Inside cylinders are typically further back than outside cylinders. This produces a general overall profile featuring a short smokebox, which pretty much forms the front of the profile with short front frames and the buffer beam almost directly below. The running boards are low (outside valve gear is almost never present) and daylight under the boiler, minimal - just enough to oil the valve gear, at best. 

Hence, no BR Standard 0-6-0 - an obsolete type for haulage, by then. The longer smokebox required for the superheater, and the additional weight at the front dictated the use of front carrying wheels. 

So a "BR Standard 0-10-0" just looks wrong, because it is wrong and the well-known principle applies. 

F.W. Webb pioneered the 8-coupled goods engine in Britain. After an initial inside-cylindered prototype, he built three-cylinder and four-cylinder compounds, all 0-8-0s. One of the earliest acts of George Whale on acceding to the throne at Crewe was to stick a carrying axle under the front end of the four-cylinder engines - the cylinder block forward of the leading pair of coupled wheels had but an excessive weight on that leading axle. The majority of the compound engines were eventually rebuilt to resemble the inside-cylinder prototype, and subsequently (or directly) gained larger boilers. It was not until early LMS days that they gained superheaters. But they kept that front overhang.

• Informative/Useful 3