Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

43 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I think we need less talking nonsense about funnily fueled locomotives and see some drawings of what all these funnily fuelled locomotives might actually look like.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

No pictures as yet, is this because you are all armchair theorists ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

No pictures as yet, is this because you are all armchair theorists ?

Gibbo.

Will this do?  This is the Sizewell Bo-Bo Class (all I could manage at short notice):

image.png.48d6661a2aff83ab4d61ac91d18ef76c.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Will this do?  This is the Sizewell Bo-Bo Class (all I could manage at short notice):

I'd have thought the "Babs Windsor" class would be a more appropriate appelation, especially double-headed....

A quick cut'n'paste to check...

BabsWindsor.jpg.8bc42e4ebacbff38d8c6ac02ce9a9fd1.jpg

A bit of a handful, I'd expect...

Edited by Hroth
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

Hi Northmoor,

Its a start I suppose.

I see you are expecting some serious power with those great big sand boxes !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'd have thought the "Babs Windsor" class would be a more appropriate appelation, especially double-headed....

Hi Hroth,

Imperial College's nuclear reactor isn't far from Windsor as it happens.

Gibbo.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

Shhhh! Don't tell the Queen.

She was at Calder Hall*, she knows the score....

* Hmmmm...  One of the British Railways(WR) lesser known experimental locomotives?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

image.png.0a278c2537b191de814c4d505f216738.png

Although desperately in need of larger driving wheels, fixing the steam leaks, and converting to UK loading gauge (I trust this is enough to make it imaginary), I give you an answer to wood-pellet burning locomotives for UK heritage railways. This one is a Heisler, and the type has run on the waste sawdust produced by the sawmills that were the type's main users. 25,000 lbf tractive and an adhesion factor of 4 (light engine) gives you a minimum of 44 loco weight tons before adding fuel and water. The tender looks big enough to take 2.2 times the volume of wood over coal.

Not economically attractive for the wood pellets, despite being renewable: a quick internet traul shows that (domestic) coal is about £225/ton, and wood pellets are slightly more, before you reckon that you need 2.2 times as much.

If it needs to be made sportier (and/or the hammer reduced), the V2 arrangement of the cylinders could be made V6, and some go-faster stripes added.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I think we need less talking nonsense about funnily fueled locomotives and see some drawings of what all these funnily fuelled locomotives might actually look like.

Gibbo.

Here are my images of an imaginary fueled locos. It has the ability of also keeping the line side free of vegetation, provides organic fertilizer and should you be able capture the methane, a source of gas for the kitchen car.  Other alternative liveries are available. 

001.jpg.31639f96e29adac75a19485781433af0.jpg

003.jpg.624a9c7981d9448574916398e03480be.jpg

004.jpg.7aa8d91c142bb982f4586311233c4184.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Another advantage of this type of motive power is that, with two of them fitted with the correct coupling mechanisms, a third can be produced at virtually no extra cost though there is a bit of a mess.  Morever the process can be repeated for much of the units’ operating lives. 

Power output is limited though, to about Ihp per unit, and top speed is around 30mph.  An attempt to build a locomotive that could exceed this performance, Cycloped, was present at the Rainhill trials but was beaten by Rocket.   

Further advantages are that they have lovely eyes and will be your friend for life for a nose stroking and a sugar lump…  They do, however, in my limited experience, have a tendency to tread on your feet and not realise why you are shouting and swearing at them. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Another advantage of this type of motive power is that, with two of them fitted with the correct coupling mechanisms, a third can be produced at virtually no extra cost though there is a bit of a mess.  Morever the process can be repeated for much of the units’ operating lives. 

Power output is limited though, to about Ihp per unit, and top speed is around 30mph.  An attempt to build a locomotive that could exceed this performance, Cycloped, was present at the Rainhill trials but was beaten by Rocket.   

Further advantages are that they have lovely eyes and will be your friend for life for a nose stroking and a sugar lump…  They do, however, in my limited experience, have a tendency to tread on your feet and not realise why you are shouting and swearing at them. 

They do suffer from a lack of interoperability with other locomotives such as steam, so cannot be used interchangeably.  Sudden, loud noises such as whistles can trigger a wide-open regulator which only highlights the crude and limited braking system.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

My understanding is that this type of bio-motive unit was widely used for single-wagon shunting at small depots throughout the lifetime of UK steam. A disadvantage is that the 'ash' they convert their fuel to is rather high in organic material and requires composting before re-use in agriculture.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

But ideal for horticulture; my mum, who was a useful thing to have around in a garden and known in the area for here rhubarb, and her wallflowers, would stop the car and pick up any we encounterd on the road during our travels, preferably fresh and steaming. Old newspapers were kept in the boot for this purpose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

They have their pollution problems as well. In the 1880's it was estimated that within 100 years (1980's) the streets of London would be buried in six feet of horse dung. It depends on which form of pollution you prefer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

But ideal for horticulture; my mum, who was a useful thing to have around in a garden and known in the area for here rhubarb, and her wallflowers, would stop the car and pick up any we encounterd on the road during our travels, preferably fresh and steaming. Old newspapers were kept in the boot for this purpose.

My Great Aunt lived in Birkdale and claimed that horses from McCains stables passed along her road to the shore for exercise.  Some of her rhubarb was fertilised from offerings left by the horses, which she collected regularly.  I may well have eaten rhubarb pie nourished by Red Rum!!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I may well have eaten rhubarb pie nourished by Red Rum!!!

Which would be better than the other way around.  Trouble with pies is you can't see what's in 'em til it's too late...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Hi all, 

Here is my latest never was locomotive in construction. This is my take on a sleek and fast tank loco with a good pulling capability for suburban passenger routes circa 1905 with some influences from  a certain Mr Drummond.

This engine started out life as a Wrenn N2 and a Triang M7. It is well on it's way and this is what has been done so far:

1  Replaced the damaged armature in the motor.

2  Moved the engines whistle further back and put in 2 steam valves. Filed off the original ones that were on the steam dome.

3  New coupling hooks front and rear.

4  New steam and vacuum pipes front and rear. lamp irons front and rear.

5  New steps on the back of the bunker.

6  New top guard rail on the bunker.

7  Ventilation hatch on the top of the cab.

8  some other bits of brass work and steps on the engine tanks and splashers.

9  fitted a cover over the 2 holes where the original chassis protruded through.

10 Fitted guard rails on the rear windows.

11 The original M7 had an opening smokebox door and an a plastic inside view. this was removed as it got in the way of the new chassis fitting. The door was then reset further in  to          the front of the smokebox  than the original.

That's it so far.

DSC_1087.JPG

DSC_1088.JPG

DSC_1089.JPG

DSC_1090.JPG

DSC_1092.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Might I respectfully suggest moving the rear radial truck back to make it more symmetrical in side veiw with the front pony, which would allow for a much more useful sized coal bunker with the opportunity for extra water capacity, and a firebox that would not protrude as far back into the cab as the doors, which this one would have to to be big enough to go with the boiler.  This would also give room to move the cab back a little.  Forward visibility from the spectacle windows would be better with a sloping top at the front of the tanks.

This would have been a very useful loco for the GCR's short and medium haul heavy mineral work.  Heavy on the axles, though.

• Like 5