Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

As I mentioned, though, it does have a prototype, just not a UK one. Google "Plymouth MDT" and you'll find several references, including other models. No reason, of course, why one couldn't have been imported for use by a private company, and painted in a UK-style livery...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, It' still very much a work in progress, but here's a look at the pacific version of the jubilee that I'm cobbling together in N.

post-3807-0-37833800-1311603184_thumb.jpg

As you can see it's a Britannia boiler on top of a Jubilee chassis with a V2 trailing bogie.

Before I try and do something about the gap under the boiler I need to solder a wire so that the electrical pickup works :)

Guest Belgian

Not imaginary, but a might-have-been was Adams' proposed 2-6-0 for the LSWR. Other than Don Bradley's reference to it in his LSWR Locomotives book, does anyone have any details of this or has anyone built a model thereof?

JE

• Like 1

Regarding the Pannier, was there an intended use for it anyone ??

Let's see... according to the book it was drawn up in 1945. What was it for well, lighter axle loading would have made it more widely available, and the outside cylinders would have eased maintenance. Other than that...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would recomend to anyone who wants to seriously model something out of the ordinary to invest in a copy of Robin Barnes 'Locomotives that never were'. Its a fantastic read for those long winter nights.

Edit:04/02/12

I've been looking at the V4 design and I've been wondering whether it could be modified to take a slightly longer boiler and a leading Four-wheel bogie, to give you a nice looking A9 light pacific.

ScR

Edited by scots region

My thoughts would be for,

a double cabbed Class 20,

a single cabbed 58 on pairs aka Class 20 style,

the Co-co HST as mentioned,

an early HST verion of a single cabbed 47 at each end, or even a Western, as I understadn their roof line was designed to match the MkI? and have them either end of 10 MkI's.

The class 38, which I believe never got as far as a drawing depsite lots of talking,

The class 48 was it, the replacement for the 47's mooted in the late 80's was it? something like an 89 perhaps?

Peaks,40's,37's, Deltic's etc, anything with a nose but instead it all pushed right upto the end of the bogies to give flush front end.

Re: the Class 20, one thing that might make more sense that a cab at the other end, would be building dedicated "slave units" I.E. cabless type ones for simple raw power, with this an entire lash up of two or four units could be controlled by one source, a single '20'.

BTW: I've said it before but, an EWS clayton anyone?

ScR

The class 38, which I believe never got as far as a drawing depsite lots of talking,

The class 48 was it, the replacement for the 47's mooted in the late 80's was it? something like an 89 perhaps?

The 38 has been mentioned on here before - it was intended to be a replacement for the 37's.

The 48 was the TOPS classification for five 47's that had different, and more powerful, sulzer engines than the main fleet. They were re-engined with standard units.

• RMweb Gold

It's a Lima model, from their "British HO" range, although in fact it's based on a US prototype.

See the "locomotives" section on limabritishho.co.uk for more details.

Mind you, I seem to remember Chris Nevard posting a photo of one which he had cut down in such a way that it looked a lot like this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/leys.htm

I have recently thought about the concept of a BR Standard 10F mallet. My friend started me off when he saw a continental layout at an exhibition. Apparently there was a loco utilising a Dapol 9F body and two Hornby terrier chassis. It started me thinking about a final FINAL design in a similar vien to the big boys. Purely imaginative but I like the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Having designed a number of narrow gauge diesel electric vehicles, based on the actual work of Armstrong Whitworth in the 1930s as shown in "Armstrong Whitworth - A pioneer of World Diesel Traction" by the late Brian Webb, I've moved up in gauge to show a potential alternative to Gresley's A4s. It's a combination of the bogie and chassis designs of the articulated power house/articulated railcars designs used in South America with the body and internal configuration of the 800hp 'Universal' loco that was trialled by the LNER in 1933. A few technical details:
Each Bo-Bo-Bo articulated twin unit has a driving cab at one end and weighs 105 tons. Inside are 2x Armstrong Sulzer 8LD28 800hp engines, 6x Crompton Parkinson 250hp traction motors and an Armstrong Saurer 6BXD 80hp auxiliary engine. Total installed traction HP = 3200, reduced to 2240 at rail for two twin units, at end of Coronation coach set weighing 270 tons. The complete 'Coronation' train complete weighs 480 tons, geared for normal top service speed of 90 mph and has a balancing speed on 1 in 100 gradient of 87.5 mph

The Coronation coaches would be similar to those built, though no observation car, of course. Heating and the kitchens would be all-electric, the latter each fitted with a 6BXD as fitted to the power twins. Three 3-car articulated units, two 3rd/3rd/3rd Kitchen, plus one 1st,1st, Brake1st, the underframes based on the lightweight trussed designs used by Armstrong Whitworth, but with standard LNER articulation bogies.

AWcoronationTwin.jpg.362230328695b66c4a81f67967c2cb4a.jpg

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 11