Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

28XX

Imaginary Locomotives

What about a subtle twist on what's already there?

How about a 9F, but with 3 cylinders, slightly smaller so no need to be inclined? Smoother starting, smoother at speed, maybe even with British Caprotti gear? Is that a useful beast?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Something very much like that, yes!

Rockershovel, if I live long enough I will have a go at a model, Gauge 1 would be nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Rockershovel, if I live long enough I will have a go at a model, Gauge 1 would be nice.

It would definitely need to be an Edwardian, pre-Grouping style, though. Kitson-Meyers seem to have done their best work where nothing else could cope with the conditions, and distances were fairly short (the Andean locomotives being notable exceptions to the latter, although the Trans Andine Railway was only 248km in all). 

Of course, there’s this

https://philmortimer.wordpress.com/2015/01/04/building-the-kitson-meyer/

Garratts seem to have displaced them by being a generally superior design. 

6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Why thank you Sir! I enjoyed building this one a lot for my formative OO9 layout. (No dinky 0-4-0T's for me!) I can't claim the design, as it is a copy of a freelance model built by John De Frayysinett of County Gate fame with whom I was fortunate to work with at the Peterborough exhibition whilst back in the UK in 2013. I was able to measure up his loco at the time and build a near exact copy for myself. It runs with some garratts (NGG16's and K1) and I have a couple of others to do if I ever get the 7mm garratts finished! (See link below) I'd like to do John's 2-6-6-2T Mallet as well, for which I have most of the dimensions! Now that would be a narrow gauge beast!

Cheers,

Phil

Edited by PhilMortimer
Spelling error
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PhilMortimer said:

Why thank you Sir! I enjoyed building this one a lot for my formative OO9 layout. (No dinky 0-4-0T's for me!) I can't claim the design, as it is a copy of a freelance model built by John De Frayysinett of County Gate fame with whom I was fortunate to work with at the Peterborough exhibition whilst back in the UK in 2013. I was able to measure up his loco at the time and build a near exact copy for myself. It runs with some garratts (NGG16's and K1) and I have a couple of others to do if I ever get the 7mm garratts finished! (See link below) I'd like to do John's 2-6-6-2T Mallet as well, for which I have most of the dimensions! Now that would be a narrow gauge beast!

Cheers,

Phil

Not at all, I thought it deserved an audience, especially in the context of the discussion. I also remember the thread about building the Garratt, which must have dissuaded many a potential buyer..

The Garratts are actually progressing and coming towards the end of the build. I just haven't posted much about them for a bit, as most of the work at the moment is detailing and tbh, not that interesting to see. I hope to post some progress next week. The kit is OK, but it is a complex loco to build. And I'm trying to bring things up a notch, as well building two.......... I hope I haven't discouraged anyone - it's the only kit that makes up this interesting prototype. As others have show, some nice models can be made from it eventually.

If and when I ever get round to building the OO9 mallet, I will of course post some details on the build here (since it is freelance) and in my build threads.

Edited by PhilMortimer
Additional Information
  • Like 2