Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

But most of these austerity locos were not really designed for home use; by the time they arrived on the scene the tide of war was against the Axis and they were only being used here until the invasion allowed them to be used in mainland Europe, and many went straight to the Middle or Far East without ever seeing UK service.  There was in the event no need to design a range of austerity locos to aid the war effort at home, and it was an unintended consequence that the WD 2-8-0s were repatriated here after hostilities ceased.  

Which is of course why I suggested the 2-8-2 as the most natural 'extra' Austerity. The Austerity 2-8-0 and 0-6-0T were direct equivalents, in form and function, to the S160 and S100 respectively. It's reasonably plausible to imagine an equivalent to the S200 built for service overseas, although the chances of them actually running on British metals seem slim except perhaps as a novelty on a preserved line.

As far as the Class 4 goes - yes, I have a hard time seeing that as anything other than a Q1 or an Ivatt 2-6-0, with suitable simplification.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 18:01, Clive Mortimore said:

I forgot to mention another thread, BSP, that is a great one to turn as there is a slight taper on it. That is six standard imperial threads and one standard metric thread, still cannot understand why NBL could make things in metric sizes.

Not exactly, there is BSP, and then there is BSP-T (T for taper)

(I'm not going to mention BSP-F!)

Edited by jcm@gwr
missing hyphens!

10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Still don't change the fact NBL should been able to work to any of these standards.

Totally agree, Clive, I was just being a pedantic old bu@@er!

2 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Go-what is BSP-F, do tell!

British Standard Pipe - Fine

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/08/2019 at 13:09, Gibbo675 said:

As it is a two cylinder machine would Bulleid have not made it and inside cylinder contraption to reduce the rocking couple to enable fast running, also if it were inside cylinder it may well be Stephenson's link rather than Walschearts gear. Possibly no running plate either !

Ugh... Was it really necessary to say that?

• Funny 1

Hi Folks,

I liked Clive's doodlings so much that I have been having a cut and shut session with some Dapol kits purchased especially to expand my BR Non Standard locomotive fleet.

Here is Clive's doodle again for reference:

1609933813_Class52-6-2.png.dc648ba042e8ea4e302535e508bbc46d.png.807b0d1d250d9b87c9a111d57d4b6b16.png

DSCF0793.JPG.7d1b016f2725221e86abb00d0456cae2.JPG

BR 5MT 2-6-2 with BR 1a tender.

DSCF0796.JPG.1dd3629c03f54e6c096987456f9fed37.JPG

BR 5MT 2-6-2 with BR 2a tender.

I also bought a 9F kit to cut and shut into a crazy hump shunting and banking engine with an articulated booster bunker. I quite like it but it is odd looking and that is with the Kitson-Meyer in the background of the photograph !

DSCF0794.JPG.2643d126c81472d36cff1921dad62311.JPG

BR  2-8-4-2 hump shunting and banking locomotive.

DSCF0799.JPG.ad6c3fa3b0b151575b9da0cdfd06be52.JPG

BR 9F 2-8-0

I think that I shall now have to build a BR Non Standard Garret.

Gibbo.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

14 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Articulated bunker, that opens up a scary amount of bad ideas!

Hi Mr Goldfish,

It's not just articulated, it's got a booster underneath it, the fitters would have simply LOVED such a contraption !

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

I also bought a 9F kit to cut and shut into a crazy hump shunting and banking engine with an articulated booster bunker. I quite like it but it is odd looking and that is with the Kitson-Meyer in the background of the photograph !

DSCF0794.JPG.2643d126c81472d36cff1921dad62311.JPG

BR  2-8-4-2 hump shunting and banking locomotive.

Not that strange - it's quite reminiscent of the the DR class 65... just add some small water tanks on the running plate.

2047893334_DR65classSaalfeld1978.jpg.05607a5d0844c5c42956d3737115fe1c.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Not that strange - it's quite reminiscent of the the DR class 65... just add some small water tanks on the running plate.

2047893334_DR65classSaalfeld1978.jpg.05607a5d0844c5c42956d3737115fe1c.jpg

Dr Gerbil Fitters,

That is just the sort of contraption I had envisaged with my 9F derived banking engine, the side tanks have not yet been fitted and may follow similar lines to those of the Kitson-Meyer.

Does the above have a booster truck ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

... which leads to the possibility of a Stanier/Riddles Non-Standard 2-8-4T for the same task? 

It's a direct equivalent to the Powell 2-8-4T from Living with London Midland Locomotives, in fact.

• Agree 1

A distraction from all the big stuff now, a late nineteenth century secondary line passenger type. I was trying to find a drawing of a McConnell Kerry Bogie for the Great Southern and Western Railway of Ireland but only found a couple of drawings of similar locos from the mainland. A Sharp Stewart for the Cambrian Railways, a Dubs for the Midland and South-Western Rly and a slightly larger McConnell he built for the North Eastern mainline. Built for long but lightly populated routes, there is a picture of the Kerry bogie jogging along with a train of a van and 4 six wheelers. All very nice and rural. So my drawing is an an averaged out amalgamation of this type of loco,8 foot wheel base for the drivers, 20ft to 20 ft 6 in overall wheelbase, 5ft 6 to 6ft 6 diameter drivers and about a 4 ft diameter boiler, although in this diagram one nearly 5 foot is shown, I might use a molding I already have.

scan2a.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, relaxinghobby said:

about a 4 ft diameter boiler, although in this diagram one nearly 5 foot is shown, I might use a molding I already have.

... perhaps the larger diameter boiler was the result of an early-20th century rebuilding? - the Irish lines were adept at such economical ways of updating their motive power, viz. McConnell's very long-lived 101 Class / J15 0-6-0.

• Like 1