Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

13 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Just add lots of brass, a telescope and some guns. :D

That's the spirit!

And Mary Poppins in a corset and a pith helmet to drive it. And gear wheels on every flat surface. And a built-in hot air balloon.

Steampunk can be a wee bit self-parodying, but that's true of most human endeavours.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

So, recently Steampunk locomotives have been a topic of conversation. Steampunk locomotives in general, and in particular those based on Hornby's 0-4-0 chassis.

I thought about it a bit, and the produced this crude, un-detailed doodle. 

steampunk_doodle_00_00.png.8a0eeb9949f7eeb0e8b3842ef2709e8e.png

steampunk_doodle_00_01.png.ca6028394c601507ee4f29064e5e763e.png

Insofar as this needs (or deserves) any kind of explanation, that's a bunker and a water tank sharing the back. Between the bunker and the firebox there is a mechanical coal feed - the problem with this chassis is that the motor and its mount aren't especially space-efficient.

I honestly don't know what I think of this - it might be hideous and stupid or whimsical and charming - I really can't tell.

Well, it's much better than Hornby's official steampunk locos, if that counts for anything. I'm actually interested in seeing this concept go further. This might provide some more inspiration.John_Hancock_0-4-0_Grasshopper_built_in_Those "grasshopper" locomotives seem very steampunk indeed, don't they.

Edited by Cunningham Loco & Machine Works
Corrected misspelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

So, recently Steampunk locomotives have been a topic of conversation. Steampunk locomotives in general, and in particular those based on Hornby's 0-4-0 chassis.

Insofar as this needs (or deserves) any kind of explanation, that's a bunker and a water tank sharing the back. Between the bunker and the firebox there is a mechanical coal feed - the problem with this chassis is that the motor and its mount aren't especially space-efficient.

I honestly don't know what I think of this - it might be hideous and stupid or whimsical and charming - I really can't tell.

That's excellent. I'd be up for building that!

8 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Not having much creative energy over the Xmas period - working with the public ensures the festive spirit vanishes about the beginning of December....- I pottered around with several what ifs that have been lying around for a while - I'm finding these a fascinating diversion from fretting about what boiler fitting was on a particular loco on a specific date, and if starting over again I could see myself going down the Madder Valley route....Anyway, this was a quick throw together based around a chassis I have had stashed away for some time for some forgotten idea that failed to coalesce . An 8f underpinnings and a Stanier 2-6-4T bought in LMS livery for a lot less than two current coach prices melded to give a workable passing of the Stanier 2-8-4T that might have been. I didn't bother with the extended bunker but it gives a completely different look to its larger wheeled original. Here it is on the bench and at work as a banker up in the Highlands on trials...

1013610719_20200111_212344(1).jpg.43a8dea8f1fb5704c9c3f50374b1e8d7.jpg

IMG_1264.JPG.47d01ebf8431ccfebb4126ae46c25e5e.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG.0fb3fac8b83d30c0a5ffd784df16cbaf.JPG

Couple more to follow.

I love this, it looks so right!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

An 8f underpinnings and a Stanier 2-6-4T bought in LMS livery for a lot less than two current coach prices melded to give a workable passing of the Stanier 2-8-4T that might have been. I didn't bother with the extended bunker but it gives a completely different look to its larger wheeled original. Here it is on the bench and at work as a banker up in the Highlands on trials...

That looks very convincing, but would it be possible to fettle a dummy bracket for the expansion link, as it's a bit bare around that area?

• Like 1

Another thing I found compelling are several ideas for 4-8-0s on DeviantArt that I found. I'm from America, which is a country whose railroads rarely used 4-8-0s either, so they always seem to entrance me somehow.

The LNER Gresley T2:

https://www.deviantart.com/miscmischief48/art/Goodwill-LNER-T2-No-9954-Robert-767094659

The GWR Colliet Cathedrals:

https://www.deviantart.com/no1thomasfan2012/art/GWR-8000-Exeter-Cathedral-694498748

• Like 2

Another couple of what ifs - both HR this time. The first is another of Peter Drummond's unbuilt proposals - a 6'6" 4-4-0 that has almost identical dimensions to his brothers T9 so one of those was Highlandised and as the HR was fond of naming its engines, a Glen class emerged...

IMG_1252.JPG.3b427998a5371c84a2d63c3968ee207f.JPG

The second one is a lot more imaginative- the offspring of an ex Duke of Sutherland's engine taken in to Highland stock and one of their scrap tanks, themselves amalgams of previously withdrawn locos... Links to its origins here...

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/25046/1/ambaile/HR-118-'Gordon-Castle'

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/25782/1/EN25782-hr-23.htm

And in the flesh, now acting as the Scrabster harbour Pug...

1671556804_20200111_212320(1).jpg.c51e95fbf8c25d3cfafbbf2f34bc0e07.jpg

IMG_1269.JPG.5d83420dba3a1b19ff2040a9d6395adb.JPG

Edited by Ben Alder
Links added
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 27/01/2020 at 22:00, TangoOscarMike said:

Gosh and crikey! It looks like something out of a fantasy novel!

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 12:14, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I've often mulled over a layout based on the idea that the NCB standardised on larger hopper wagons and had longer runs between mines and washeries, docks, etc.  They might then have had a need for a heavy standard shunter, and a decent sized trip loco. 

Here's the shunter.

1234008744_NCB2-8-0.jpg.e6ce9823c47eae9b879e7f4867c31a4f.jpg

Suppose Collett or Churchward before him made a GWR 0-8-0T? I had one in mind myself.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2019 at 22:13, relaxinghobby said:

IMGP0066a.JPG.21444dca416fb78b5fadf8dd88ccdf45.JPGThe last outing for this experimental lightweight mixed traffic type ended in mechanical failure. These types of lococould  have been produced in the early 1960s by the Southern Region. Take a boiler from the recently withdrawn Schools class and the wheels and motion of a Bulleid pacific and cook slowly with an arc welder.

The driving wheel splashers have been tydied up before the last test runs today.

There was never much enthusiams for this machine ( see above posts ) and when the crank axle broke that was the end and it will quickly be dismantled and its parts canabalised for the next project.

The tender and cab side are already earmarked for for another experimental type so this is the end for this loco as the crank axle is unserviceable.

IMGP0068a.JPG.108fc1f5cdae8687debd4382cc985435.JPG

Looks like it was merely a two cylinder loco, looks like the between the frames chain drive mechanism has already been takne away.

Nice model! Does it run well?

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 21:41, relaxinghobby said:

Just suppose in the early 1950s the Southern region was looking for 4MT and 5MT class locos particularly for their West of England Services to Exeter, Plymouth and the North Cornwall lines.

Perhaps if they were not willing to accept the new British Rail Standard classes and Bulleid still remained as Chief Locomotive Engineer they may have tried to come up with something using established Southern Railway components and practices.

So just imagine the wheels and works from a Bulleid West Country pacific and the excellent medium-sized boiler form the Schools class to provide the power. It could either be a 2 cylinder or a slightly more powerful but heavier 3 cylinder type like its West Country class parent. The Southern railway maverick engineers have retained the Bulleid chain-driven valve gear and perhaps even used the more efficient poppet valve gear, still driven by Mr Bulleid's bicycle chain system. It is hard to tell from the picture.

IMGP0086a.JPG.122a86ee0400c9e2e6a78b9a2fc88447.JPG

Here we see a test of different tenders, to provide coal and water for the extended range available from a large tender needed for a run down to the far west of England. They are preparing for trials and as a comparison, some time will be spent using the old Sou'western 8 wheeler and the big Bulleid 6 wheeler.

IMGP0080a.JPG.769df718e899150843514b4875c87599.JPG

Which will be best?

Maybe even to be ultra-modern and labour saving there will be an oil-burning example of this loco, always hoping for a handy type that can do everything a Bulleid pacific can but at a much cheaper price.

Once the best option is found the loco can be sent away for its final painting.

Why does this experiment take place at an out of the way siding far from the notice and control of the national British Railways big wigs? Politics, of course, those maverick engineers of the Southern Region hope to present a coup, a shazam, a new class of versatile and inexpensive loco, a new and proven working “here one we have done earlier”.

It could be could the New Skools class or the Bulleid Schools or the BS 1.

I like the LSWR watercart tender best.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's the lack of guard irons that gives that impression, I think.

Thanks for the feedback - I removed a bit because I thought it looked too chunky, but seeing this  - https://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/25786/1/EN25786-lms-16382.htm 

I will have to do some reinstatement. I like posting almost finished images to get other input - this was worked on alongside two or three other jobs and attention can slip esp. when doing neverweres. I'll be back.....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Suppose Collett or Churchward before him made a GWR 0-8-0T? I had one in mind myself.

There was indeed a Churchward era 0-8-0T proposal, around 1905, but it seems to have been abandoned at quite an early stage. Presumably it wasn't working out into something useful. 
The surviving weights drawing shows a 44/45xx boiler, very high pitched, presumably for ashpan clearance over the axles, and light axle loading. A number of the early pannier tank installations stopped off at the smokebox like that.
This is my interpretation of the weights drawing, which is in RCTS.

080PTChurchwardproposal.jpg

Edited by JimC
  • Like 3