Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I should think that being the third, or even fourth engine through a tunnel would be perfectly foul. I seem to remember there were issues with face-masks provided for crews on the Garratt?

Not just face masks, some sort of breathing apparatus was provided eventually.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Both of these genuinely look like something I'd have designed.

The photo posted by @rockershovel is an unadulterated photo of a Webb 4 ft shunter. These engines had marine boilers, permitting the rear axle to be where the ashpan would be on a conventional locomotive boiler.

8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I haven't seen any footage showing so many. The most I've seen is two Panniers or Jintys and a 9F.

I have seen photos of four LMS Standard 3F 0-6-0Ts and of four 94xx Class 0-6-0PTs (the latter as also noted by @Flying Pig). It always seems to be the rearmost banker that is working hardest, or at leas throwing out the foulest-looking exhaust, so maybe the drivers of the engines in front were going a bit easy for the sake of the men behind.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

On 25/04/2021 at 22:24, 298 said:

The comparatively low dc voltage may be because of nationwide clearance issues, and there's no reason why the GWR couldn't have gone for something higher, either 3000v DC or more likely 11 or 15kv AC at 16 ²/³ Hz.

I've not seen the figures quoted before but am fairly certain the larger types would have been based on the twin motored Swiss Crocodiles, the 1-Co-Co-1 (or 1C-C1) types having similar and successively higher horsepower ratings as they were developed through time. 

Following contemporary practice, the Bo-Bo type would have probably been more boxy and with individual motors per axle, and the trucks articulated to each other as per the later BR class 76.

A Swindon Crocodile sounds rather terrific! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sir douglas said:

about tunnel conditions, the Transandine Kitson meyers in Chile were specifically built with air tanks and masks for the crew to use in long tunnels which one of them was about 10,000 ft long (or 1.8 mile)

Southern Pacific also had them. This one is clearly equipped with a tank-fed air or oxygen supply 

IMG_2679.PNG.30acefc2024b64a85907151cc20a4ccd.PNG

Edited by rockershovel
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I saw a YouTube video of a steam special that included an ascent of the Lickey Incline with a pannier banker.  As the special neared the top the banker was storming valiantly uphill with a spectacular exhaust...and several feet between it and the last carriage.

• Like 3

Would use of the Gölsdorf axle have converted some of this thread's more powerful creations from imaginary to buildable? It does seem to have made a reality of the Wurttemberg K class  (DRG 59) of compound 2-12-0 bankers, but not to have been enough to make them a good choice on the flat. Were they just too foreign/metric for us gallant Brits? Sadly there is a model of the K class available (in DRG livery), so no kit-bashing is required.

They also seem to have signalled the end of new articulated designs in Germany.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DenysW said:

Would use of the Gölsdorf axle have converted some of this thread's more powerful creations from imaginary to buildable? It does seem to have made a reality of the Wurttemberg K class  (DRG 59) of compound 2-12-0 bankers, but not to have been enough to make them a good choice on the flat. Were they just too foreign/metric for us gallant Brits? Sadly there is a model of the K class available (in DRG livery), so no kit-bashing is required.

it wasn't, they did try to build a Mallet during World War 2, apparently a 2-6-8-0. Unfortunately a bomb hit it during construction, ending both it and the program

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/07/2021 at 17:01, tythatguy1312 said:

it wasn't, they did try to build a Mallet during World War 2, apparently a 2-6-8-0. Unfortunately a bomb hit it during construction, ending both it and the program

I believe that the projected 2-6-8-0 is also available as a model.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DenysW said:

No, just too primitive.  Sir Arthur Heywood's radiating axles are a more sophisticated approach to long fixed wheelbases, later rediscovered in metric by Klien and Lindner.

• Like 2

I can accept that the Gölsdorf axle was a touch crude, and that better was available (but without any UK designer pushing it), but would it and/or the alternatives have been enough to free Nigel Gresley into designing his P2 Edinburgh-Aberdeen expresses as duplex 4-cylinder 4-4-4-2s, say, instead of 2-8-2s.  I'm thinking engineered not synchronous so as not to revert to 2-cylinder hammer.

Unrelated topic: those KDL tenders do appear to have better sight-lines than the UK or US norm.

Edited by DenysW
Correct typo
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

“Greg?”

”Yes Phil?”

”When they said ‘small mixed traffic locomotive’, do you really think they wanted it THAT small?”

”It’s a small mixed traffic loco. They never said how small it had to be.”

1B276DD7-1BDC-47BB-B764-7B0455FEFD7B.png

Very much a work-in-progress, but this is also bordering on the ridiculously small for a tender engine:

image.png.0f982d04d9fb36787d9c292bf878db99.png

This locomotive was not 101, but was a 'sibling' constructed in an attempt to resolve a number of problems with the original design. However, after suffering damage to the coal bunker, it was decided that it would be simpler to modify the locomotive to use a wagon as a tender than to repair it (the backstory applies to both model and imaginary prototype).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

Very much a work-in-progress, but this is also bordering on the ridiculously small for a tender engine:

image.png.0f982d04d9fb36787d9c292bf878db99.png

This locomotive was not 101, but was a 'sibling' constructed in an attempt to resolve a number of problems with the original design. However, after suffering damage to the coal bunker, it was decided that it would be simpler to modify the locomotive to use a wagon as a tender than to repair it (the backstory applies to both model and imaginary prototype).

But that's just a Sassenach version of the standard Wee Pug. Here's the North British version, the Caledonian variety was much the same:

image.png.6b4692c5c061f577ade6c11ed6ebdca2.png

[Ben Brooksbank / Ex-North British 0-4-0T at Kipps Locomotive Depot, Airdrie / CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons.]

Note the stepboard and handrails on the "tender".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3