Ruston & Hornsby 0-6-0DE announced in OO by Kernow, Heljan & Model Rail.

bubbles2

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

2767 & 2774 worked ok, as I recall, until they went to Manchester Victoria.

maybe if Kernow see how good they look next to a couple of Hydraulics they might consider them next...

D4D61801-6680-4C9A-96FD-E1DB77253D85.jpeg

All three are hydraulics and that's D2774 which didn't go onto the Metrolink

Back on track, 97650 also had a different rad grill to the rest of the PWM's

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

For those wanting more on their history a book is available from the Industrial Railway Society. last few at £2.50 each

https://irsshop.co.uk/epages/c06e4627-fbe4-483c-833b-6f5529d3cffe.sf/sec938b752df1/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c06e4627-fbe4-483c-833b-6f5529d3cffe/Products/0128S

I have that book. They moved around more than I realised.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2019 at 20:26, TheSignalEngineer said:

Some previous discussion here. 

I was just about to post my photo of PWM 650 at Newlands PAD but as it appears in this thread so that'll do! There was also a link in that thread to a Youtube video of track replaying with a PWM on site which was excellent but the video is no longer available.

Theres also this photo of PWM 654 being towed through Worcester with other track plant - off to a possession no doubt... http://www.miac.org.uk/worcs1970.html#pwm654

Why wasnt an 03 or 04 used? Diesel mechanical , did rods have to be removed to disengage the drive when being towed at higher than maximum speed? The PWMs had a lever in the cab which de-meshed the traction motors and hence no need for engineering to reinstate rods on arrival at site - push the level and off you go!

Is great news for sure - and as Martin R , its 654 for me.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 03/10/2019 at 06:47, Phil Bullock said:

Why wasnt an 03 or 04 used? Diesel mechanical , did rods have to be removed to disengage the drive when being towed at higher than maximum speed? The PWMs had a lever in the cab which de-meshed the traction motors and hence no need for engineering to reinstate rods on arrival at site - push the level and off you go

As somebody who has in the past had to remove and refit some rods I can only look on with envy at the “push the lever” option.

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

On 02/10/2019 at 10:48, Mark Saunders said:

More important will be the choice of industrial prototypes as these were more widespread than the ones built for BR!

NCB Northumberland would be a good choice, if I remember correctly there were four here!

Mark Saunders

Bates Colliery in Northumberland had at least one, I got a ride in it once.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, PrestburyJack said:

Bearing in mind that they were towed in engineering trains, would it make sense for an unpowered version to be made?

The difference in production cost would be minimal so not really worth it.

• RMweb Gold

PWM 651. The only diesel ever, to visit Caerphilly Works as a BR locomotive. That is, apart from an industrial diesel done on a 'grace & favour' basis).

Will I be getting one of these?  What a silly question!

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Was there a reason for the small windows/low cab roof ?

Hello Phil, I think the low clearances allowed the loco to go anywhere on the system, On the Western, that includes all of the nooks & crannies, such as the Burry Port & Gwendraeth valley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Hello Phil, I think the low clearances allowed the loco to go anywhere on the system, On the Western, that includes all of the nooks & crannies, such as the Burry Port & Gwendraeth valley.

Don't forget also that on site things such as track sections were being lifted over them so there would have been no point in adding extra height for the sake of it.  Plus of course they were basically industrial locos of their age without any sort of need to engage in marshalling yard style shunting where height might confer some improved sight lines for the Driver.

For those of us of a 'Western bent' in teh appropriate era thay are an excellent offering and ideal to shove in the formation of an engineering train - so will the wagons be coming next from somewhere?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget also that on site things such as track sections were being lifted over them so there would have been no point in adding extra height for the sake of it.  Plus of course they were basically industrial locos of their age without any sort of need to engage in marshalling yard style shunting where height might confer some improved sight lines for the Driver.

For those of us of a 'Western bent' in teh appropriate era thay are an excellent offering and ideal to shove in the formation of an engineering train - so will the wagons be coming next from somewhere?

Cambrian make some very nice kits for things like Sturgeons and Salmon, whilst the Grampus is available as a kit from Parkside-Peco or RTR from Dapol. The two commom-place wagons currently unavailable are the Ling (formerly from Ian Kirk) and the Tunny (Chivers-Finelines)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know the NCB ones were all DMs with a jackshaft drive from a gearbox at the rear. The loco design was mostly standard RH (as was PWM650), the only significant modification was the arrangement to disconnect the drive and a mechanical lubricator (presumably for the axleboxes when being towed)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Cambrian make some very nice kits for things like Sturgeons and Salmon, whilst the Grampus is available as a kit from Parkside-Peco or RTR from Dapol. The two commom-place wagons currently unavailable are the Ling (formerly from Ian Kirk) and the Tunny (Chivers-Finelines)

I suspect the Salmon would be the most likely as they were normally sent out with the relaying trains and of course they were generally based on pre-assembly depots.

Look at c.8mins 20 in this film -

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1