Ruston & Hornsby 0-6-0DE announced in OO by Kernow, Heljan & Model Rail.

bubbles2

• RMweb Premium

Can I justify 2?

97651 Yellow

PWM654 Blue

Then I would have 3 PWMs all cleanish as my period is around the time PWM650 was repainted.

I'm really looking forward to getting these little PW shunters but as I'm lucky enough to have a large railway room filled with railway and preferring longish trains of 8 to 10 coaches or 20 to 30 wagons my smaller locos tend to sit in a siding or round the turntable and see little action, so these PWM diesels would see much more use hauled between work sites in PW trains also conveying ballast and rail wagons along with staff riding coaches or brake vans. This got me thinking about the possibility of maybe treating them just like the real ones which could be taken out of gear and hauled dead to to the work site, this could be done if one small gear was easily removable and a micro switch added out of sight to isolate the supply to the motor, just an idea.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, thunderer08 said:

Thanks for the info, does that mean the 97651 and 97654 where withdrawn in blue? 

No the first 3 pictures on the thread page 1 show 97651 and 97654 in yellow livery in 93 and the mid 80s.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hmmm I must resist... they never made it to Southampton docks... 

But the EPs do look nice... 

Muz, How do you know they never got to Southampton Docks, surely you weren't there every day of every year these things were around.  I wonder how many Western engineering trains had to go right down to Southampton termins to run round or re-form if the were working south of Winchester. ;)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 11/07/2020 at 17:40, bubbles2 said:

This got me thinking about the possibility of maybe treating them just like the real ones which could be taken out of gear and hauled dead to to the work site, this could be done if one small gear was easily removable and a micro switch added out of sight to isolate the supply to the motor, just an idea.

I doubt if you'd do any harm leaving the motor connected and running; with no load it would not consume much amperage and would stay cool enough.  If the final drive cog is fixed to the driving axle by a grub screw, all you'd have to do is loosen that and the loco could be pulled freely enough.  PWM 651 at Radyr frequently travelled to site in the company of the PAD's diesel electric self propelled crane, easily buildable from the Aifix/Dapol now Kitmaster construction kit mounted on a Gresley 8-wheel tender chassis from a cheap 'Bay donor; fits as if it was designed for the job.  The crane was limited to 35mph in running to site, as was IIRC the PWM shunter.  Hardest part of this job is converting a bogie bolster to a match truck for the crane!  Delivered to site, you can tighten the grub screw back up and the loco can work independently, as can the crane if you find a way to motorise it but that's another story...

Edited by The Johnster

• 4 months later...

Heljan are producing a newly tooled model of the Ruston & Hornsby 165DE 0-6-0 diesel shunting locomotive in OO gauge. Two variations have now been announced for general release, covering this diminutive class in both industrial yellow and NCB dark green colour schemes.

Heljan's R&H shunter will feature:

- Highly detailed model with separately fitted parts

- Digital & Sound capability - NEXT-18 socket

- NEM couplings

- Interior lighting

heljanpwm_web1.jpg.36e2917ba9a154d50149cfe453b79743.jpg

heljanpwm_header1.jpg.d7173ef1f38a1bb718eb64cec42dbf90.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cornelius said:

These are just additional industrial liveries for the already announced Model Rail / KMRC "PWM" aren't they?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/169/PWM-Diesel

Seems to be the case, thanks for pointing that out. I tried searching for "Heljan Ruston & Hornsby 165DE" on the forum and found nothing, so I started this thread.

• Like 1

It is definitely a loco I would like except that I have had 100% misfortune with my five Heljan locos so far-

ALL but one have had bits drop off randomly, usually while moving on the layout - the 05 even getting the following comment at a show- "Hey Mister, is that diesel supposed to leave its buffer beam on the track?"

The exception is the railbus, but on that the plastic top half is deforming with age and can't be persuaded to clip to the bottom half any more...

I may well pass on this.

Les

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is that speedo linkage going to be robust enough not to fall apart in use? 

It looks very delicate - as it did on the prototype.

It is no finer than the gear on a 009 Bachmann Baldwin and that seems to stand up to the job ok. As long as Heljan have engineered it right it should be ok.

Roy