Ruston & Hornsby 0-6-0DE announced in OO by Kernow, Heljan & Model Rail.

bubbles2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

Thanks for posting the video...which enabled me to track back and find this earlier thread on RMweb: 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124509-track-laying-crane-drawings-and-details/ 

Methinks that Track Laying Crane needs to go on the Agenda for The 00 Wishlist Poll 2020! If I had seen the PWM announcement a few days earlier, I'm fairly confident we could have filled the resultant gap with it.

Brian (partly with my 00 Wishlist Poll Team hat on)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

It has gone on the Agenda and we have already had a number of emails flying back and forth between us all.:)

We do our best to 'balance' items across the railways/regions and 'steam era' with 'modern era'. We have listed the 'modern' Cowans Sheldon Twin Jib for many years, so this TRM will fit nicely.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
Adding comments.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello again Mike

I not a 'wagon expert', but the bogies on at least some (all?) of the wagons look like those of the GWR Gane A.

One I can see - No.60836 at about 14 mins - that ties up with detail in the Atkins et al book, A History of GWR Goods Wagons.

Brian

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Or, you could go for the Southern Region version (built on a well wagon) ;

00000-bob-hind-engineering-4L.jpg

( Please note that the photo is reproduced reversed. )

.... especially as the WARWELL is already available as an RTR model; the cranes appear to be bog-standard Coles models with short jibs.

I'd definitely have one of those - in fact; if it doesn't appear RTR, it would be relatively easy to model using a WARWELL and a couple of 4mm. scale Coles mobile yard cranes.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

What a super announcement.

I have no need of one, but I will get one, because I want one (industrial spec rather than BR).

I wonder also if the BR versions will be available as unpowered models, so that they can be included in the consist of an engineering train running to or from site.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:25, PrestburyJack said:

Bearing in mind that they were towed in engineering trains, would it make sense for an unpowered version to be made?

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 02:08, royaloak said:

The difference in production cost would be minimal so not really worth it.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 02:38, PrestburyJack said:

I was thinking more of the problem of matching its speed with that if the locomotive hauling the train.

Two options:

Remove the motor for an unpowered model. Simple on all Heljan diesel constructions I have seen to date.

Use your choice of an addressable loco control system for the capability to run it in a train 'dead' by consisting with the train locomotive, and with the facility to run it independently on the work site or in the home yard.

I use DCC to operate a standard BR 350hp shunter being delivered in a freight. Matching performance in DCC gives a good result.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 11:22, Captain Kernow said:

What a super announcement.

I have no need of one, but I will get one, because I want one (industrial spec rather than BR).

I wonder also if the BR versions will be available as unpowered models, so that they can be included in the consist of an engineering train running to or from site.

Highly unlikely to be unpowered versions as this has been looked at numerous times in the past by various manufacturers and unpowered models work out to the same price as powered ones. Amusingly I discovered just recently that Rapido's 'Cabbage' (in reality an F40PH diesel converted to a driving trailer baggage car by removing the engine etc and putting in roller shutter doors) model actually is a fully powered model because its as cheap to make it powered (although the real thing isn't) so it helps to move a heavier train and because the market in North America would expect something that looks like a loco to be powered! (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dave47549 said:

Thanks for the tip off Mark, my copy arrived yesterday. If anyone's concerned by the 'shop soiled' label, I'll just say the only cosmetic damage to mine was a slight crease in the cover laminate, something I wouldn't have grumbled with if listed as mint. Regardless, the content is well worth £3 of anyone's beer tokens! 

Thanks for the heads up folks - copy ordered

• Like 1

On 08/10/2019 at 16:33, dibber25 said:

Highly unlikely to be unpowered versions as this has been looked at numerous times in the past by various manufacturers and unpowered models work out to the same price as powered ones.  (CJL)

I know this is a question for another thread but are both Blue Pullman/ Western Pullman power cars motorized? I know HST power cars are available without motors but I guess both these examples are only available in pairs.

As I model the Western region between the late 1950s and 1985 I would like one each of these PWM's in the 3 main liveries and being old fashioned my layout is dc and far too large to convert to dcc. 

Just a thought but what about offing them in pairs one powered and one unpowered, I know probably a daft idea as most people will only want one anyway.

That TRM was one of five of that design built at Swindon. Three for the WR and one each for the ER and ScR (DW274/5/6; 78/002 and TRM1/10). I built one for Morfa Bank a few years ago and they're impressive machine but quite big! I can see PWM651 coming my way in green...

Hywel

IMG_4807.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blue 654 for me and I THINK 651 or 652 in Yellow

I am planning on making a PAD based on Newland but information is scarce. Will be hybred portable and one side of my garage layout.

So far I have one shunter and one crane. I know that sometimes two PWMs were at the PADs.

Got lots of Cambrian departmental wagons.

Got the book.

As to traction at the WR PADs, were they normally 37 hauled in the 70s and 80s?, Which 08s at Newland?

I was also very pleased that the Edge loco was PWM650, which was my favourite PWM.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2019 at 13:06, MJI said:

Blue 654 for me and I THINK 651 or 652 in Yellow

I am planning on making a PAD based on Newland but information is scarce. Will be hybred portable and one side of my garage layout.

So far I have one shunter and one crane. I know that sometimes two PWMs were at the PADs.

Got lots of Cambrian departmental wagons.

Got the book.

As to traction at the WR PADs, were they normally 37 hauled in the 70s and 80s?, Which 08s at Newland?

I was also very pleased that the Edge loco was PWM650, which was my favourite PWM.

Traction would be whatever Gloucester could turn out... 25, 31, 37 or type 4 including Westerns until they finished in 77. Haven’t seen any evidence of 08 at Newlands but never say never....

have you got the IRS PWM book? 

• Thanks 1