JMRI on Chromebook

Steven B

• RMweb Premium

Does JMRI run on a Chromebook (or other laptop running Chromium OS)?

I'm looking at seeing if it's worth breathing new life into my old Windows XP netbook; I'd be running with a Locobuffer to link in to by Digitrax based system and with a Sprog for testing so would need driver support for them too.

Steven B.

40 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

The ONE thing that puts me off of JMRI is its use of Java. I can understand the advantage of it being usable on multiple platforms, but it's horribly insecure :(

compared to what? It is better than c++, and similar to .net - JavaScript is what the web is written in and it is only if someone is using Java in a browser that issues potentially exist.

if your host is secure and you are not running Java in an externally facing browser it is safe - I agree certainly not on the Internet or web Facing application, but otherwise safer than many common platformss 

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

The ONE thing that puts me off of JMRI is its use of Java. I can understand the advantage of it being usable on multiple platforms, but it's horribly insecure :(

Given the use cases for JMRI, insecure against what?

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Does JMRI run on a Chromebook (or other laptop running Chromium OS)?

I'm looking at seeing if it's worth breathing new life into my old Windows XP netbook; I'd be running with a Locobuffer to link in to by Digitrax based system and with a Sprog for testing so would need driver support for them too.

Steven B.

Get the netbook out.

• RMweb Premium

I've already switched to Mint on the netbook (Samsung NC20) with a SSD and it's usable but still a little slower than I'd like; A colleague recently upgraded his netbook (a HP model with the same processor) to Chromium with SSD and it runs well, hence my thinking about switching to Chromium;

I was unable to find anything on the JMRI website about support for Chrombooks, hence the question.

Thanks for the replies!

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

compared to what? It is better than c++, and similar to .net - JavaScript is what the web is written in and it is only if someone is using Java in a browser that issues potentially exist.

if your host is secure and you are not running Java in an externally facing browser it is safe - I agree certainly not on the Internet or web Facing application, but otherwise safer than many common platformss 

Our MSP at work is continuously hounding is to not use anything Java based. They have to do all sorts of steps when we NEED an application to try and ensure it's not going to cause us issues. Same with Flash apparently and the main application we have to use if flash based which they hate.

You need to get away from Flash which is indeed a significant security concern for everyone whether at home or in business.

Adobe have even acknowledged this and all support for Flash ends next year. There will be no more updates for security, no integration with web browsers - nothing.

perhps you need to look at the application and get the authors  to rewrite it and make it friendly for the world without Flash?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

I've already switched to Mint on the netbook (Samsung NC20) with a SSD and it's usable but still a little slower than I'd like; A colleague recently upgraded his netbook (a HP model with the same processor) to Chromium with SSD and it runs well, hence my thinking about switching to Chromium;

I was unable to find anything on the JMRI website about support for Chrombooks, hence the question.

Its not supported,  it might work (link Andrew provided earlier), but you're into knitting your own stuff.  Either running a slow Linux (some others may be a tad quicker), or buying a supported device might be more efficient in terms of time and money spent. 

The supported options are:  Windows, MacOS, Linux (including Raspberry PI).        JMRI runs at sane speeds on a Pi-3 or later. 

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Our MSP at work is continuously hounding is to not use anything Java based. They have to do all sorts of steps when we NEED an application to try and ensure it's not going to cause us issues.

There is a big difference between a browser plug-in and a stand-alone application.    Browser plug-ins have had all sorts of issues over the years, the Java plug-in is no exception to these (though its a lot better than it was).  

JMRI is a stand-alone application, so there isn't any connection with a browser, it doesn't use a browser plug-in.      Your choice of course whether to use it, but the developers of JMRI are not a bunch of muppets when it comes to computer programming;  you could look up the day-jobs of the main developers to check their expertise - something you can't do with most commercial software packages ! 

- Nigel