Airfix loco brush springs

rodofcv

Recently as part of a legacy I became the owner of quite a large amount of 00 gauge railway 'stuff'. Among the items was an Airfix 0–6–0 Fowler 4F ref (54122 – 6) tender driven locomotive which doesn't run. I'm not (yet!) a model railway enthusiast but I would like to see this loco back in working order. I dismantled the tender to get to the motor and found that both brush springs were missing – possibly twanged to the wide blue yonder years ago. Looking on the net I can't find any reference to Airfix brushes or brush springs – not altogether surprising. I may be wrong but I thought there was a possibility that Airfix bought in motors and if so I could look for the springs under a different name.

I hope that one of you learned gentlemen could give me help and guidance.

Many thanks

You will probably find that these are small coil springs. Those for Hornby or Lima ringfield motors will probably be suitable depending on their diameter - if too long can be trimmed. Brushes likewise can be used from other makes. If a round block brush, that is slightly too big, it can be made to fit.

• RMweb Gold

If too short, they can be stretched; the only requirement is that the coil spring is a reasonable fit in the hole and holds the carbon brush against the commutator.  Commutators are of course people who travel to work each day....  While you've got the tender body off, check the plastic gears for splits and that the wires are soldered firmly in place.  If this model has been out of use for a while, you may need to replace perished rubber traction tyres, also available from Peter's.

Hi,

You do not say if you  actually have the carbon brushes for the motor. Please remember that the springs are only there to apply pressure on the carbon brushes and make an electrical contact. they are not there to be applied directly to the commutator. If you try and use the springs without the brushes at best the motor will not run and at worst you will damage the motor.

Edited by cypherman