RU To RBR conversion: Please help!

Good Evening.

Im writing today to ask if any of you know somebody (individual or company)who could undertake a slight modification and repaint of a Bachmann MK1 RU to a RBR. I can give more details if required, The main job would just be the infilling of windows on the Kitchen side and the filling of two windows and subsequently re-cutting one new one on the Corridor side. this is because I'm replicating a particular preserved MK1, E1969 on the North Norfolk Railway. other than that, all that i would require is a repaint from BR Maroon to BR Crimson / Cream, with the Number E1969 Applied, and finally just a very subtle weathering matching the prototype.

Some photos:

What needs to be done corridor side: 2 Windows infilled and a small window recut in the middle 

IMG_0070.jpg.b7fd1b40226560fd623b36ae9f9fad1e.jpg

what needs to be done Kitchen side: several windows infilled and one door infilled

IMG_0069.jpg.f3d36e2d38eec35791f58b4df3fe3057.jpg

im very grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of people who can do this work, as I've tried myself but I'm not happy with my attempt.

Regards,

Brad.

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Team Traction said:

Good Evening.

Im writing today to ask if any of you know somebody (individual or company)who could undertake a slight modification and repaint of a Bachmann MK1 RU to a RBR. I can give more details if required, The main job would just be the infilling of windows on the Kitchen side and the filling of two windows and subsequently re-cutting one new one on the Corridor side. this is because I'm replicating a particular preserved MK1, E1969 on the North Norfolk Railway. other than that, all that i would require is a repaint from BR Maroon to BR Crimson / Cream, with the Number E1969 Applied, and finally just a very subtle weathering matching the prototype.

Some photos:

What needs to be done corridor side: 2 Windows infilled and a small window recut in the middle 

what needs to be done Kitchen side: several windows infilled and one door infilled

im very grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of people who can do this work, as I've tried myself but I'm not happy with my attempt.

Regards,

Brad.

You may not be very happy with your results, but at least you are giving it a go, kudos to you.

Maybe trying on a scrap/cheap coach and asking the assembled expertise hereabouts how to go about things might improve your standards and save some money into the bargain.

I won't embarrass anyone, but I can think of a couple of coach bodgers rebuilders who would point you in the right direction.

Mike.

24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You may not be very happy with your results, but at least you are giving it a go, kudos to you.

Maybe trying on a scrap/cheap coach and asking the assembled expertise hereabouts how to go about things might improve your standards and save some money into the bargain.

I won't embarrass anyone, but I can think of a couple of coach bodgers rebuilders who would point you in the right direction.

Mike.

Ive already attempted window infilling on a Lima Mk1 RBR and I really wasn't happy. I followed YouTube tutorials and other guides, to no avail. if you could name these coach rebuilders id love to get in touch with them. 

Brad.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Team Traction said:

Ive already attempted window infilling on a Lima Mk1 RBR and I really wasn't happy. I followed YouTube tutorials and other guides, to no avail. if you could name these coach rebuilders id love to get in touch with them. 

Brad.

Hi

What went wrong and why weren't you happy? 

Its worth persevering as a skill learnt is there for life and the next time you need something you can do the work yourself.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Team Traction said:

Good Evening.

Some photos:

Regards,

Brad.

Hi Brad

Can you PM with photos of your first attempt and I will see where I can help you.

• RMweb Gold

6 hours ago, Team Traction said:

Brad.

There you go, that's one of my suspects helping.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

I am sure comet models use to do brass sides for BR coaches at around £12 a coach. if your able to get hold of a lima or replica railways coach on the cheap these are ideal for putting brass sides on and at a fraction of the cost of a Bachmann coach.

• Like 1

The Bachmann sides do lend themselves very nicely to being modified. 

Below is a WCRC RMB I did last year, plenty of doors and windows filled in. For the windows that need to be removed I left the glazing in place and then filled over the top with conventional model filler, sure it was just generic humbrol stuff, sand back once dry and reapply filler where necessary. I don’t think I’d be brave enough to have a go a cutting a new window out though, possibly best to try on a scrap coach first as suggested. 

726ABABA-A7D2-4F07-B57B-C48D30ADF0EC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

I did a thread on here to create a BSO long before the Hornby model, was a mix of cut and shut and new windows, it was pretty step by step so may help including cutting a new window. If the new window is the same size as an existing window, draw around the edge of it to create the outline so you now it is the right shape, see photo in post 1 below: