Cake Box Round 4

Phil Parker

• Administrators

Time for the last Cake Box round of 2019

It's time for round 4...

As ever, the rules are simple:

• The model must fit in a standard 8-inch square cake box. 
  • It must include two railway items

You can interpret the theme any way you like.

It's up to you if you want to start a build thread, but we'll be calling for entries (3 photos + 200 words) at the start of January.

The prize is £100 of Humbrol products!

• Like 11

Now just to find a clean cakebox - I do have one with a slice of cake remaining in it, but there's icing stuck to the box.  Not sure if it is 8" by 8" either....Now to find the back of an envelope to plan.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmmmm...........................

Might well have to get the little woolly cells working on this one....

Rob 

• Like 2

Afternoon Phil. I am a new member of the forum and I really like the idea of the forum having a series of cakebox challenges. 

There are some brilliant entries throughout the different themes. It’s a great way for me to learn and enjoy the different levels of model making.

At the moment I am just at the learning stage but I hope in the future I can tackle one of the forums challenges.

Kev

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 05/10/2019 at 16:34, Crossingman said:

Afternoon Phil. I am a new member of the forum and I really like the idea of the forum having a series of cakebox challenges. 

There are some brilliant entries throughout the different themes. It’s a great way for me to learn and enjoy the different levels of model making.

At the moment I am just at the learning stage but I hope in the future I can tackle one of the forums challenges.

Kev

Hi Kev,

That is exactly what I have used them for.  I missed out last year but have had a go at all 3 this year and used them to try out techniques before using them on my main layout.  I have had a go at static grass, weathering, using Slaters plastic brick, etched brass and 3D printing.  It is a great way to learn, and never mind the competition side of it, you should have a go anyway.  You will find a friendly bunch here, always willing to make constructive suggestions and help.

regards,     Chris

• Like 2

The cakebox challenge sounds interesting. On my layout I found a place for 20 * 20 module (here we use centimeters) and decided to try my hand on Cornish mine. I use my imagination to tell me how an old mine might work..

Markku Suni, Turku, Finland

markku.suni@nic.fi

PA120097.JPG

PA120098.JPG

PA120100.JPG

• Like 5

• Administrators

Extra prize and discount products!

Thanks to Golden Valley Hobbies, we have an extra prize for the winner of this round of the competition.

gv2020-1.jpeg

The winner will receive a OO ICI Janus locomotive plus the Humbrol £100 bundle.

In addition, for those taking part in the competition, if you visit www.goldenvalleyhobbies.com and enter the code GVHJANUS when you checkout, you'll receive 10% off your entire order. 

Thanks very much to Golden Valley Hobbies for offering this out of the blue. It's nice that the trade are so supportive of the competition. 

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bo-Bo said:

Hi Phil can I use a 4”x4” board for the cakebox challenge. 

I believe 8" x 8" is designated as a maximum - I used 7" x 7" in round 1 without any trouble.

Of course, you could build 4 small dioramas at 4" x 4" in the allowable space.

There is a 6" height limit in a standard cakebox.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2019 at 09:19, Phil Parker said:

I'll be calling for entries in a couple of days. We need to get a wiggle on as I've book a couple of pages in the March BRM and so I'll need to get the results in for the 10th Jan.

Fabulous Phil, you shout and my entry will be at your command, although it's only at the pictures taken stage, I need to go and consider my 200 words...

Ralf