OO or N

DadPad

Hi folks, I’m new here so please go easy.

I imagine this is a question asked a thousand times but I’m stuck for ideas.

I am wanting to build a “small” layout ideally 6’x3’ (possibility to go a little larger) primarily for a family activity now the nights are drawing in. It will primarily be used by myself and my 2 sons (Ages 5 & 8) under supervision.

My 13 yr old daughter is very hands on and creative and wants to help model the environment.

The baseboard will be split over 2 boards which fold to keep space to a minimum as we live in a modern habitable rabbit hutch, I am a joiner by trade so this is easy enough.

I am primarily looking for 2 continuous loops with a siding or 3. This will be run on a standard DC setup to keep initial costs down. Now my dad has offered us some OO track and stock but with size constraints I’m leaning more towards N.

I haven’t touched a model Railway for a good 17yrs so I’m a little out of touch.

Is N completely unfeasible? Are the locos too light and temperamental? 

The layout needs to encapsulate their imagination aswell as being reliable.

Any help, tips and experiences are very much welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Edited by DadPad
Added info

• RMweb Premium

If you've only got 6x3 I'd definitely recommend N.  I model in N and 4mm, I've tried a roundy 00 on 6*3 before,  there just isn't enough room. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 2

Having done both (although in larger sizes), I would be inclined to go for N in that space - I think it is just too small for a decent exercise in 00. The N gauge equipment is reasonably robust and reliable in my (admittedly limited) curretn experience - others may have different views. May be an idea to see how the kiddiwinkles react, though - they may find the N stuff a bit small -  perhaps a visit to a model shop of exhibition may help?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm a 00 modeller myself, but I'm inclined to agree with TheQ and Derekl. You probably could squeeze 00 into that space if you had to, but you'd be using smaller curves which will likely cause problems with longer wheelbase locos. Using 2nd and 3rd radius curves to avoid that problem (for a double track mainline) gives you a minimum width of about 3 1/3 foot, according to my Peco planbook... I also agree with Derekl about heading to an exhibition. There is so much inspiration and experience there, even at a smaller one, and you never know you may pick up a bargain or 2 to get you started!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely N, I wa in pretty much the same boat when my boy was 6. We started with a farish starter set(generic jinty style tank engine with a few small wagons) Not only was it sturdy enough he was better at putting things on the track and coupling up than us adults! After that experience I've no hesitation in recommending N for a family layout

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Dad Pad,

17 years ago the reliability of British N gauge was not great however , I would have said yes to N then, but now sure go for N. The locos and rolling stock are great, giving you more time for you and your family to indulge in the scenic aspects. Peco track code 55 is ok, take great care and patience in laying it,  (avoid dog legs at joints, don't force more into the available space and follow the instructions that come with it to the letter) and your layout will be a joy. 

Hi Dadpad, I model in OO and I'd agree with the above. To get what you want it might have to be have to be n gauge, I had a quick look in a Peco set track plan book and the narrowest plans are for a 3ft 3ins wide board. It's worth looking at the Peco books, I believe there's a new one out soon as well. If you can squeeze an extra foot on the width there's plenty of 6x4 plans around. I'd also really recommend going to an exhibition and having a look at stuff and having a chat with exhibitors.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Steve.

• Agree 1

Thanks guys

Im more interested in a nice scenic environment with some interesting trackwork to keep the kids entertained.

I shall be sourcing some second hand locos and stock for them and possibly treat myself to something once it’s near completion....obviously just to test the layout

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DadPad said:

Thanks guys

Im more interested in a nice scenic environment with some interesting trackwork to keep the kids entertained.

I shall be sourcing some second hand locos and stock for them and possibly treat myself to something once it’s near completion....obviously just to test the layout

If you are buying secondhand - note that older N gauge is not as reliable as the modern Bachmann Farish products.

I would stick to Chinese Bachmann Farish or Dapol - for certainty stick with DCC Ready stuff so you know you are finding the latest models.

For example - my 40s are Chinese first generation Bachmann Farish but one suffered split gears and was last running with a wheel missing (I should really have just removed the broken gear lol).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree that N gauge is the way to go if that's all the room you have. You could build a dog bone type layout in that space in N or have hidden storage roads at the rear with a back scene 6-9" in from the back edge and have the railway on an upper level all on viaducts with businesses under the arches and bridges over the roads, maybe even a lower level tram route running in the streets at ground level. Dear old Cyril F did some nice plans for N but some of his 00 gauge one's could be done in N as well. Just remember very few track plans survive first contact with a base board, not in their entirety anyway. Try whatever you go with out full size on a piece of lining paper with a bit of stock and track templates before you start cutting things first. 

Regards Lez.Z.  

Edited by lezz01
  • Informative/Useful 1

I model OO but, in some ways, I was modelled in N! You'll definitely have more running space with N and it would allow for more scenery/creativity!! 

• RMweb Premium

My four year old is quite happy playing with "Daddies trains" - all N Gauge.

Find yourself a model railway exhibition, a decent model shop or your local N Gauge Society Area Group and ask to have a play with some locos and stock. You'll learn much more about the quirks of N Gauge by driving some trains than reading dozens of pages of forum postings.

If buying second hand don't discount older models. Most of the really bad ones have long been reduced to spare parts. Regardless of if the model is 3 months or 30 years old, it's a good idea to see a second hand model being run before parting with your cash (or at least ensuring you can return it if you're unhappy with it). Despite the improvements there are still a few duds out there.

Older Farish models can work just as well as the modern day models and will be more robust - worth thinking about if your five year old can be a little careless at times! I've recently used a 40 year old Farish steam loco that hadn't seen use for over ten years and it ran perfectly well straight out of the box.

• RMweb Premium

As an N gauge modeller I would offer this advice - time and care spent on trackwork will ensure you get the most out of your layout. Iffy trackwork will have you tearing your hair out so make sure everything runs well before starting the scenery. 

There are 0-6-0s and diesels that will be suitable for the younger members of the family while they get used to handling rolling stock and they will probably end up being more dexterous than you are in the long run. 

My advice is go N gauge, and if you want virtually bomb-proof running and steam engines, buy Union Mills locos. Great running and hauling and run forever. You'll need to ring Colin on the Isle of Man for orders, he doesn't do IT, but well worth the effort. PM me for a contact number. 

Usual disclaimer,  have no connection other than as a very happy repeat customer.

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts, next question.

Im now tearing my hair out thinking of a Trackplan I’ve got “anyrail” on the computer but looking for inspiration, so what is the OO equivalent size to a 6x3 N gauge is it as simple as 12x6?

2 hours ago, DadPad said:

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts, next question.

Im now tearing my hair out thinking of a Trackplan I’ve got “anyrail” on the computer but looking for inspiration, so what is the OO equivalent size to a 6x3 N gauge is it as simple as 12x6?

Hi,

In my opinion no, your hands remain at 12inch to the foot scale so while in theory you can squeeze a 12 by 6 foot plan into 6 by 3foot  in N,  my point is what may be tight on the OO plan becomes too tight when scaled down to N (access etc). It is better to take a 6 by 3 layout in OO and just make it in N . This will give you gentler curves  (which look better and your stock will perform better) plus if you want an extra siding or passing loop you will have plenty of room to add these features without 'forcing' the geometry. Less is more IMHO. My Shirebrook layout has a very simple track plan.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
additional text
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are going to reduce a OO Gauge track plan be aware that the smallest radius curves are much tighter than the smallest in N. Radius 1 in OO is about 14.5", in N it's 9" - closer to 2nd Radius in OO.

As Duncan says, just go for 1:1 on the baseboard size and make use of the extra space for larger radius curves and longer sidings etc. If you want to reduce a OO gauge plan then scaling by 2/3rds would give a better result.

Steven B.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

In my opinion no, your hands remain at 12inch to the foot scale so while in theory you can squeeze a 12 by 6 foot plan into 6 by 3foot  in N,  my point is what may be tight on the OO plan becomes too tight when scaled down to N (access etc). It is better to take a 6 by 3 layout in OO and just make it in N . This will give you gentler curves  (which look better and your stock will perform better) plus if you want an extra siding or passing loop you will have plenty of room to add these features without 'forcing' the geometry. Less is more IMHO. My Shirebrook layout has a very simple track plan.

Cheers

Duncan

I like that idea Duncan, there's plenty of 6 by 3 or 4 OO plans in set track books that I bet would look great if done I N gauge in the same space.

Steve.

• Friendly/supportive 1

There are some half decent Track Plans in this Peco Book. I would advise against using first radius curves as they are way to tight for modern Locos and Rolling Stock.

20191002_172123.jpg

Edited by EWS FAN

17 minutes ago, EWS FAN said:

There are some half decent Track Plans in this Peco Book. I would advise against using first radius curves as they are way to tight for modern Locos and Rolling Stock.

20191002_172123.jpg

I was looking at that book last night, I’ve also read about this until my eyes bled (a little dramatic, but feels like it.)

I don’t want to put tight curves anywhere as I want a nice “flow” and less chance of a loco at model warp speed derailing on a tight curve. 

I have seen a few we like the looks of,

i must consist of 2 loops in any shape or size and have a small shunting area

• Like 1

You could do your own planning in 'Anyrail'.  Just go to 'settings', specify units in inches, and length 72, width 36. then in 'track libraries' choose N gauge, followed by Peco (set-track or streamline according to your preference).

Robert

• Agree 1

Just now, Robert Stokes said:

You could do your own planning in 'Anyrail'.  Just go to 'settings', specify units in inches, and length 72, width 36. then in 'track libraries' choose N gauge, followed by Peco (set-track or streamline according to your preference).

Robert

I have been playing with anyrail but been struggling with a blank canvas so I have been looking for some inspiration to take bits from