MattDitch

I thought people may be interested in seeing my photos from the 2019 gala at the North Yorkshire moors. These pictures were taken on 28/09/19.

CSC_0065.JPG?format=1500w

J27 No.65894 & T2 (Q6) No.2238 double head a train away from Grosmont.

CSC_0096.JPG?format=1500w

Witherslack Hall passes over Grosmont Viaduct with a train for Pickering.

CSC_0162.JPG?format=1500w

K1 No.62005 & A4 pacific No.60009 “Union of South Africa” pass through Darnholme.

CSC_0226.JPG?format=1500w

2253, King Edward II and 92134 at Goathland.

If you'd like to see more of my images from the day then please click here.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The 9F on the front in the last picture upset some of the masses gathered at Moorgates. There were about 100 there hoping to get a nice shot of the King working hard in the sunshine. Apparently it went to Pickering to turn and it was a convenient way to get it there.  Other double headers I saw were more logical with K1 piloting A4, K1 and B1, J27 and Q6, Schools and S15.

Pity about the weather on Sunday. We made the best of it with rides behing several locos but not good for pictures. First train from Pickering was full and there were plenty on the others by the look of it. 6023 and 6990 made light work of the bank to Goathland on one leg of our trip.

A minor annoyance on Sunday afternoon was that I was going to call in at the art exhibition by John Austin advertised at Pickering Station as open from 10am to 4pm. At 3.30 the door was locked and the artist was packing up all of his stuff. Several more people tried the door whilst we were on the platform, so he probably lost a bit of goodwill there. If you advertise as being open until 4pm it can also give negative vibes towards what people thought of their visit. By comparison Christopher Vine, author of the Peter's Railway books was still on the platform chatting to visitors at 4.30.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The 9F on the front in the last picture upset some of the masses gathered at Moorgates.

I was at beckhole waiting for the s160 on the up goods. When the train appeared the 9f was on the front facing the wrong way. I didn't mind so much as it was nice to see the 9f out on the line. However one older gent shouted Boo! and gave the engine a thumbs down as it passed!

A Few more photos from the NYMR Autumn Gala. These were taken on the Saturday - 28/09/19 - at Grosmont. Not every day one gets to see anything like this, for this was quite a line up of main line steam with some 'big locos' on show.

Brought back a few memories of days spent watching trains in the late 1950's / early 1960's.

Cheers

Mike

IMG_0717.JPG.c596ff02f7c6b83ef3dd2a57edfe7801.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

What an attitude. I hope all his trains are the "wrong" loco running tender first :rolleyes:

Yes. Especially after the twenty year* struggle that the owner(s) have been through with that restoration. It was little more than a boiler on wheels when he got it. I believe it was one of the next in line to be scrapped after 92085 went. Didn't even have a tender as that went to 71000.

*Forty years if you include the previous owners.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well I made the decision to put the 9F on the front of the goods as we needed to get some miles on it to make sure all was ok before we sent it to Pickering to be turned.  And to be quite honest people got a 2nd chance to see the S160 on the goods a couple of hours later so nothing really spoilt, we've banned top and tailing the goods because it's incredibly hard on the wagon drawbars.  The decision to double head with the King was rather a daft one IMO but unfortunately I had left the premises by that point so I can't be blamed for it, it would have been better on the rear.

IMG_0715.JPG.7def2f8ec6afdcee5f1019bb2696296f.JPG

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, russ p said:

You were born on platform three!

You wouldn't believe what I did in the toilet on platform 2 either.

Typical, the one time I wear a hi-vis all weekend and someone takes a photo of it!

Edited by Boris
Bum

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

You wouldn't believe what I did in the toilet on platform 2 either.

Typical, the one time I wear a hi-vis all weekend and someone takes a photo of it!

You wouldn't want to know what we did in the toilet there that was once station house or in the house come do that!

Most things ended with misery for a certain volunteer from bridlington,  bless him!

Had some great times there in very early 80s but also learned a lot to start my railway career 

• RMweb Gold

Don't know what happened to the S160 as I saw it parked up at Grosmont on Sunday. I was hoping to ride behind it on the first train northbound but all was not lost as we had 62005 and I had never previously managed to get a ride behind that. Also nice to get my first ride behind a King for 57 years.

• 1 month later...

The NYMR gala in September was a splendid affair which I thoroughly enjoyed despite the rain on the Friday and Sunday.  As has been mentioned before, the Hall and the King double-heading on the Sunday completely flattened the 1 in 49 up to Goathland!

I took quite a few pictures during the weekend and if anyone would like to have a look the first batch is now on Flickr:

North Yorkshire Moors Railway ~ 1st Album

Hope they're of interest.

• Like 1