This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 4 - 'Uncharted territory'

20 hours ago, andyram said:

Kevin was the captain you were referring to. My involvement was purely the silent Andy of the two in the team.

I have to say, although I agreed with the result from Heat 4 in terms of the way the competition worked, I admired the Dutch layout and its prototypical approach. The flag man was excellent.

Blame Phil. I was working from the note in his blog:

"What an amazing galleon lying on its side in a realistic sea by Thunderbolts captain Andy", and I knew there were two Andy's, both listed first in the team credits (obviously: surnames alphabetically. Duh!).

I thought you all did very well but Kevin was an inspiration as well, for sheer guts and determination.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, whart57 said:

Steve did, but most of it didn't make the final edit.

Unfortunately that's television for you. Once they've decided on the story they want to tell; the show gets edited to tell that story, regardless of what really happened. They think the viewing public want spectacle; under-dogs overcoming insurmountable odds to triumph rather than a team calmly and professionally making something impressive that works first time, so they go with gimmicks and they're probably right. You built a great layout and people will come to exhibitions specifically to see it working, and they will be wowed by it, and you will have done the whole hobby a service by participating. Enjoy the next year. And write it up for the magazines.

• Agree 1

On 06/10/2019 at 15:43, caradoc said:

Agree with all you say Captain Kernow except part of the last sentence - I remain to be convinced that there are any benefits of a GWR branch line terminus !

I'm sorry but did lesser railways have branch lines? I'd never thought them worth noticing :diablo_mini:

:offtopic: but it's funny that, apart from John Ahern, Everyone seemed to model main lines exclusivdely until the mid 1940s. From the immediate post war though it seemed like everyone was building branch lines. In reality they were still in the minority and Great Western branch lines were a minority (albeit the largest ) of that minority. Of notable layouts, Buckingham was GCR (though Mk2 was inspired by Ashburton), Berrow was S&DJR, Charford was Southern, Craig and Mertonford was a) Scottish and b) narrow gauge and, while North Devon was definitely GWR it was also equally definitely not a branch line.  Culm Valley was sort of GWR but really a thing unto itself and AFAIK the first layout that tried to faithfully depict a prototype line. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hicksan said:

Blame Phil. I was working from the note in his blog:

"What an amazing galleon lying on its side in a realistic sea by Thunderbolts captain Andy", and I knew there were two Andy's, both listed first in the team credits (obviously: surnames alphabetically. Duh!).

I thought you all did very well but Kevin was an inspiration as well, for sheer guts and determination.

Totally agree. He is an amazing modeller that galleon was a work ok art. He taught me how to use the airbrush which allowed me to do the cliff face effects. I heard much of his story when we did the pre show filming in the shop. Such a difficult life around children’s homes. An amazing chap and great company.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1