The Wagon Workshop - Painting and Weathering BR freight stock from the 1950s

So started digging througha box of old models to try an reinvigorate them.

Started on a 16t mineral last night and just had a crack at painting rust.

Thoughts and Criticism?

Apologies for the poor quality images

20190930_215807.jpg

20190930_215823.jpg

20190930_215834.jpg

Edited by Aire Head

Tackled some more 16T minerals today. 

First one had been painted badly before and for some reason the upper layer of paint had blistered. I decided to use this as a happy accident and I'm pretty satisfied with how it looks.

I'm also happier with the slope sided mineral however I feel the rust area just looks a bit flat so I'm going to consider trying to get a bit more texture on next attempts. 

Any suggestions as to how?

IMG_20191005_072209.jpg

IMG_20191005_072209.jpg

IMG_20191005_072224.jpg

IMG_20191005_072219.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So tonight I decided to tackle some Bachmann vent vans. 

First up is a basic plywood sides 12T Vent Van. Most of the weathering has been done by basic washes using Games Workshop paints. The rust on the corrugated ends was also done using Games Workshop paints, particularly using their "technical" range.

I used "Typhus Corrosions" which is essentially a textured paint with a metallic bronze tint. After this it was washed with watered down Orange Acrylic paint. This was followed by a wash of "Agrax Earthshade along with the rest of the van to create the dusty/grubby look.

IMG_20191026_200014.jpg

IMG_20191026_200022.jpg

So tonight's work is on a Parkside LNER 12T vent van I built a long time ago. Sadly a buffer, the coupling hooks and some of the brake gear is missing however otherwise it is generally fine.

Since I plan to use this vehicle in a fixed rake as a through working I can live with the problems.

I also cheated as I didn't have any transfers to hand so I used some spare o had left over from a Parkside LNER 5 Plank open so it has the wrong number :jester:

For the body work I used Vallejo "Red Leather" as I find it looks good as faded BR bauxite. The roof and frames were painted in Games Workshop "Eshin Grey" blended with various browns for the frames and various greens and grey's for the roof.

Rust on the steel was created using Games Workshops "Typhus Corrosion" then an additional layer of "Mournfang Brown" (This is actually a pretty good match for standard BR Bauxite) then washed with watered down "Troll Slayer Orange".

The whole model was then washed down with Games Workshops "Agrax Earthshade" then a further wash with "Nuln Oil".

Areas that I felt likely to have gathered additional dirt or rain streaking were then detail washed with Nuln Oil.

Pretty satisfied with how it's turned out for what has been about 4 hours worth of painting. I do feel the camera is a bit cruel however!

Comments and Criticism will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20191029_230342.jpg

IMG_20191029_230352.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Preserving through the pile and next up is a Parkside LNER 5 Plank.

Sadly the buffers on one end commited suicide into the great big unknown down the back of the workbench never to be seen again so will have to add this one to the list requiring replacements. :banghead:

I will be looking to add a tarpaulin to this wagon at some point does anyone know a good method?

IMG_20191111_204742.jpg

IMG_20191111_204650.jpg

The last couple of days have been productive.

First up is a repainted Bachmann 16T mineral. The body was painted in Vallejo Silver Grey which I find does a good representation of faded BR freight grey.

The rust was painted by using Games Workshop "Typhus Corrosion" first and then successively washes using Games Workshop "Mournfang Brown", Vallejo Red Leather and Games Workshop "Agrax Earthshade". 

The whole wagon was washed using "Agrax Earthshade" followed by "Nuln Oil".

I just need to source some replacement buffers as most of them do not seem to have survived storage.

Secondly is another Parkside exLNER van. I decided to finish this in more of ex works condition.

The body was painted in Vallejo "Tank Red" and then washed with "Agrax Earthshade" and "Nuln Oil". The roof was painted in Vallejo "Neutral Grey" and washed with "Nuln Oil". 

Just need to fit the buffers and then it's onto the next one!

IMG_20191113_205940.jpg

IMG_20191113_210010.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 21:07, Aire Head said:

Preserving through the pile and next up is a Parkside LNER 5 Plank.

Sadly the buffers on one end commited suicide into the great big unknown down the back of the workbench never to be seen again so will have to add this one to the list requiring replacements. :banghead:

I will be looking to add a tarpaulin to this wagon at some point does anyone know a good method?

IMG_20191111_204742.jpg

IMG_20191111_204650.jpg

Could you post pics of the underside please . Trying to build one and can’t fathom it . 
thanks 

• 2 months later...

Been a bit quiet on here recently but have been working away.

Had a potential disaster which was averted when I painted my Dapol meat van into bauxite only to subsequently discover that for my chosen time period of the mid to early 50s it needed to be crimson.

Fortunately the bauxite was only on thin and after a couple of coats of Vallejo Crimson I think it's come out quite well and compared well with Bachmanns efforts on the container.

That said the white lettering is bugging me. What the best source of the correct yellow lettering?

IMG_20200315_191625.jpg

IMG_20200315_191646~2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Productive day today

The LMS got a good looking today with 2x D1892 Opens and 2x D1897 Vans.

The opens are both made from Airfix 5 Plank bodies on Bachmann 10' wb chassis. One of them needs to have the brakes gear removed from one side and a replacement buffer. Both will be getting tarpaulins.

IMG_20200627_115111.jpg

IMG_20200627_180858.jpg

The Vans are both from Ratio kits which I bought partially built, the roof on the unfitted version is broken and will be covered in a tarpaulin to simulate a leaking roof. 

The brakegear on the chassis of the fitted version was made from spare parts in my bits box. The vents were missing from the roof so I haven't finished this part yet.

Admittedly none of the are perfect and they suffer from a few errors (the fitted version in particular) however I think they will all stand up well enough rumbling by.

IMG_20200627_180942.jpg

IMG_20200627_213257.jpg

Edited by Aire Head

Just had first sight of this thread. Wagon stock got into all sorts of states dirt-wise so you can get away with a lot for a passing train and if you are happy with them, it's all to the good. Not sure how many fitted vans would have spoked wheels in the 50s though or how many battered 16T Minerals would have such clean wheels.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Just had first sight of this thread. Wagon stock got into all sorts of states dirt-wise so you can get away with a lot for a passing train and if you are happy with them, it's all to the good. Not sure how many fitted vans would have spoked wheels in the 50s though or how many battered 16T Minerals would have such clean wheels.

Wheels are an area I will be focussing on shortly. A bit old pack of 3 Hole discs and a lot of dark brown paint will be in order!

I'd certainly love to be able to have everything completely perfect however time and finances don't allow for that. For rumbling by in a passing goods train they will be fine. For getting shunted about the goods yard will require much greater attention to detail!

7 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Looking through the David Larkin book of BR wagons of the early British Railways era, there seem to have been quite a few vac-fitted merchandise vehicles fitted with spoked wheels. There are works views of a Fresh Meat Van and a BR Standard 12t van so-equipped, whilst there is a view of a 12t Shock fitted with spoked wheels taken at Hoo Jct as late as 1968.

• Informative/Useful 2

Yesterday was brake Van day.

First up a Bachmann BR standard which was painted into Engineers Olive with hazard stripes which has been repainted into 1950s Bauxite.

Also started to finish off a Parkside ex MR brakevan I started many many years ago.

IMG_20200628_200235.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Do remember that in the 50s not all freight wagons were filthy!  A lot of mineral wagons, for example, were quite new and you'll find pictures of trains from that era with mineral wagons with little if any rust on them.  Where weathering is concerned, sometimes less is more effective.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Torper said:

Do remember that in the 50s not all freight wagons were filthy!  A lot of mineral wagons, for example, were quite new and you'll find pictures of trains from that era with mineral wagons with little if any rust on them.  Where weathering is concerned, sometimes less is more effective.

DT

I do have wagons which are not heavily weathered although everythibg gets at least 1 light wash of brown to simulate the general dirt and grime that accumulates through even light usage.

I have been working on weathering PO wagons to add to the minerals as these would still be present in large numbers during the period I wish to model.

This one is a Bachmann example which has been attacked with a scraper and some meths on a q-tip to create the effect of damaged/peeling paint on the lettering and the whole body has been given a wash of grey to make it look more faded and subdued.

Naturally the wheels and underframe will need a lot of attention and I think another wash of grey on the wagon is required.

IMG_20200629_194436.jpg

• 1 month later...

2 for the price of 1 tonight. Still some finishing touches to do on both however.

First up we have a BR van built to an LMS design.

This made from an Airfix Vent Van body on a Parkside PA16 underframe in order to give it the correct 8 Shoe Clasp Brake Chassis.

Following up is the long suffering Dia 1661 Cattle Van which has been on my bench for a while now.

Made from a Parkside kit as per the instructions. This is being modelled as a Through Piped Vehicle

IMG_20200805_203652.jpg

IMG_20200805_203728.jpg