Hornby Class 86

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, muddy water said:

Are you going to try to add cab door handles?

I’ve been pondering how to do this.  Thinking that I could drill a hole of suitable diameter for the curved lower edge of the handle recess.  Square off the top an bottom left corners and plug the resultant hole in the door with plasticard to just short of the outside surface.  Then drill and insert a wire door handle.  Then repeat for the other three doors - or seven times if the lower handles are needed.

Simples.

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I see your Freightliner class 86s are a better model than the photo I found!

Do you know the history behind the fire extinguishers on the roof? The Freightliner type have one brown cylinder across the roof next to the non pantograph cab. The Virgin type have two larger red or grey cylinders lengthways. When were they all introduced?

Did the Anglian and Triple grey RFD ones get them as well?

I think we trust the model manufacturers too much sometimes when they miss out detail to make production simpler!!

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, muddy water said:

I see your Freightliner class 86s are a better model than the photo I found!

Do you know the history behind the fire extinguishers on the roof? The Freightliner type have one brown cylinder across the roof next to the non pantograph cab. The Virgin type have two larger red or grey cylinders lengthways. When were they all introduced?

Did the Anglian and Triple grey RFD ones get them as well?

I think we trust the model manufacturers too much sometimes when y miss out detail to make production simpler!!

I’m not sure why the Freightliner 86-6 locos have only one extinguisher rather than the two on the later liveried 86-2s.

I scratch built the extinguishers from plastic rod and plasticard.  Getting the restraining straps to glue down was a bit of a chore.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK, I know it’s not a Class 86 but this has been a favourite loco for me since the early 1970s when my Dad used to take me to watch the trains go by on the WCML at Stableford near Newcastle-under-Lyme.

IMG_9737.jpg.e90991df4eede6de0ea76ba7f2205ad5.jpg

IMG_9738.jpg.7ced018f4e0079da2cec2a8fdeacabf2.jpg

IMG_9739.jpg.7f33d1a12a6268383a48067f2a179a8f.jpg

IMG_9740.jpg.928cffdee1481b83767a016d47604572.jpg

IMG_9741.jpg.24b6012780c353cd4d7a60be9a99802c.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg.be1626bc33b406a92a230faeb0b66ace.jpg

Its a repainted and detailed Trix/Lilliput AL1 converted to DCC sound.  Considering it’s age the original motor runs sweetly and silently.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

OK, I know it’s not a Class 86 but this has been a favourite loco for me since the early 1970s when my Dad used to take me to watch the trains go by on the WCML at Stableford near Newcastle-under-Lyme.

B2752FE7-7480-4C61-97DF-5B2E963DCF13.jpeg.2addb2eb477b93defa01e1f161cf0430.jpeg

F573FE13-82C2-49F0-825E-7BDDC75EAC21.jpeg.b0aad5de430117c15ff5bd0246fa99a0.jpeg

F0E9CE45-D61D-49DC-9BE8-47C21B1E1734.jpeg.b6e5bd936159acfa13007e9d238b68c1.jpeg

DB3F1E28-2287-4D9A-8C56-CD23FBEE8351.jpeg.119417511570b9322a5445fd009cc632.jpeg

EC43B0E1-26A0-409D-ADEC-74451AEE7412.jpeg.89014b8bd2276d85f7e6d37065c2dc79.jpeg

6DD09703-2098-42AD-97D0-77143503404D.jpeg.e63e18a83247930e15f3d074d2de440e.jpeg

Its a repainted and detailed Trix/Lilliput AL1 converted you DCC sound.  Considering it’s age the original motor runs sweetly and silently.

Cheers

Darius

That's amazing. Honestly can't tell it's a Trix/Lilliput model. You've done a splendid job 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Gibbo,

I used Slaters 2mm plastic letters and numbers - obtained from eBay.

F9C1B3FC-2155-45F0-BCB8-E9185D1418F5.jpeg.777a31b2cd46f161739c01c876229944.jpeg

You have to be careful cutting them from the sprue - the “3”s are particularly fragile.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Darius fantastic looking electric Blue 86 . You really are making these models something special. Can I ask where you got the lion emblem from?

Hi Legend,

The Lions are Shawplan “Extreme Etchings”.  Managed to obtain a few from the Shawplan stand at Warley.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Legend said:

Darius fantastic looking electric Blue 86 . 

Be wary of the paint code.

This was discussed elsewhere on the forum & there is doubt as to whether AL6s carried the proper Electric Blue. Their original livery looked a little darker & photos of them next to AL1-AL5 showed too much of a difference for it to be lighting or shadow & it was too uniform to be fade.

I can't find the colour on Phoenix's web site but Darius' one doesn't look as bright as Electric Blue or as dark as Rail Blue so maybe they just haven't listed it yet?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Be wary of the paint code.

This was discussed elsewhere on the forum & there is doubt as to whether AL6s carried the proper Electric Blue. Their original livery looked a little darker & photos of them next to AL1-AL5 showed too much of a difference for it to be lighting or shadow & it was too uniform to be fade.

I can't find the colour on Phoenix's web site but Darius' one doesn't look as bright as Electric Blue or as dark as Rail Blue so maybe they just haven't listed it yet?

Before starting this conversion I read many RMWeb threads on the “Electric Blue” question and looked at quite a few online images and images in my railway book collection.  There seem to be as many variants of this colour on line as there are opinions as to the correct colour in the threads on RMWeb.  The only conclusion I could come to after this research is that there is no definitive or correct answer - or even a consensus on an answer.

I considered mixing some “Rail Blue” with the Phoenix “Electric Blue” but in the end decided to go with the paint straight out of the tin (suitably thinned for airbrushing), secure in the knowledge that whatever I did wouldn’t be correct.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4

Hi , looks great again, it's amazing how well an aged body scrubs up particularly with the flush glazing and a decent pantograph, what brand of pantograph gave you used ?  I wonder what conversations went on in the past when Hornby purchased Lima , in consideration to a minor up grade / tooling to use the Lima 87  one.

Have a great Christmas and thank finally sharing and inspiring.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, 47164 said:

Hi , looks great again, it's amazing how well an aged body scrubs up particularly with the flush glazing and a decent pantograph, what brand of pantograph gave you used ?  I wonder what conversations went on in the past when Hornby purchased Lima , in consideration to a minor up grade / tooling to use the Lima 87  one.

Have a great Christmas and thank finally sharing and inspiring.

Hi 47164,

I used a Sommerfeldt pantograph that I spotted on eBay.  It’s not strictly correct but much better than the Hornby pantograph.  

Cheers

Darius

FWIW your AL6 looks bang on to me in terms of colour.

The "Electric Blue" you've used is a fair bit darker than the variant marketed as such by Railmatch, and to me looks like Rail blue as applied/ sprayed to give the matt finish.

My recollection of other discussions is that AL6's acquired this "early" finish of Railblue rather than the lighter "Electric" blue, and so the final result is spot-on.

How smart it all looks with the white cab areas and SYP, plus the alloy crests, shame people don't come up with classy schemes like this today!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/12/2019 at 11:54, John Tomlinson said:

FWIW your AL6 looks bang on to me in terms of colour.

The "Electric Blue" you've used is a fair bit darker than the variant marketed as such by Railmatch, and to me looks like Rail blue as applied/ sprayed to give the matt finish.

My recollection of other discussions is that AL6's acquired this "early" finish of Railblue rather than the lighter "Electric" blue, and so the final result is spot-on.

How smart it all looks with the white cab areas and SYP, plus the alloy crests, shame people don't come up with classy schemes like this today!

John.

Hi John,

I bought some Railmatch electric blue a short while ago for some of the early electrics I have and it was a quite different shade, being a lot darker, than some Railmatch electric blue I had used from about twenty years ago, The paints had the same number on the jar, go figure, fortunately all my engines are in for a going over and a repaint so no matter.

I also agree that the hue of the paint may be affected by the finish of the paint in that it may well have been the matt airless spray finish that was later changed to gloss finish that make it look different. Quite a lot of DMU's and some class 25's had a similar look about them that the early class 86's had, incidentally all of which had small warning panels.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1