7mm LNER D16/3 - Two years down and nothing to show !

Hi all, been a while since I was on here last.

I thought this may interest one or two though.

Its been well over two years in the making drawing, but finally today I have sent off the artwork to get these etched, and I can't wait to get the sheets through the door to crack on with building.

I'm hoping to have it built by the Bristol GOG show, if not before. If it all goes together as well my brain thinks it will, it should be a pretty quick build. There is a lot of 'proof of concept' in here to really aid in accuracy/speed/keeping things square.

Bushell_D16_Sheet2_011019.jpg.91068366fe88f84653c14018aa654d0b.jpg

Bushell_D16_Sheet1_011019.jpg.ac382fd8f4e7a85e0ece7a111967965d.jpg

JB.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, D-A-T said:

I’d be in the market for one.

Is there a tender? Or am I being thick and can’t see it on the sheets?

Hi, no tender just yet, Im hoping someone out there may have made the tender already, but if not I shall try and find some drawings to make one up. Shouldn't be too taxing after doing the loco.

JB,

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Possibly these parts?

7AC9D609-2583-4079-AC5C-644DA06741CE.jpeg

Hi, those parts are the..

i) Boiler Barrel

ii) Firebox wrapper

iii) Inner Smokebox wrapper

iiii) Outer Smokebox wrapper

The beading that you can see on the firebox wrapper should hopefully line up nicely with the cab front sheet and the rear of the leading wheel splasher.

One thing to note is that so far this kit has been designed for Scale7, however if it all goes together as I hope, I can produce a fine scale add-on etch. I should also be able to do an add on to make a D16/2 with the belpaire firebox.

JB.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive etching and conservation of area. If it is offered to the general public it might need a carefully planned " find your part" guide. I only mention this because I know one or two former kit manufacturers who despaired of complaints from customers who failed to understand the economics of etching.

Sort of. The great “imaginery” layout. U shaped. Urban on one side, rural on the other with a fiddleyard in the middle at the bottom of the U.  So lookout for Hobbs End to Studley Constable. Coming, very slowly, to a Forum near you. 

• Like 2

Well the long and short of it is that etchers have done me a good deal. Given me the scrap etch gratis, as I thought they would and have said they can either send me a new correct sheet, or will do me a deal for the artwork they will need to do on any modifications that need doing at my end, so I have started a mk 0.5 scrap etch test build of the chassis. I can't go too far with it as a lot of the parts are scrap, including annoyingly the full length footplate which is where any doubt currently lies.

However, if things keep fitting together like this, I'll be a very happy chappy... Fingers, toes and any other appendages crossed!

Particularly happy with the drag box and motion bracket.

Doesn't look much like a 4-4-0 at the moment but will come together in time.

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 13/10/2019 at 21:48, Scale7JB said:

Can you tell what it is yet ?

A loco I'm looking into for no.2, but desperately in need of better drawings.

LNERY4.jpg.05247388e405ee0a0c4cfd0ffd87ca0c.jpg

JB.

Definitely a Y4 - I would also be interested in a kit, though I was planning to do one myself for Scorpio Models.

I downloaded some pretty good drawings from the GER society website - if you don't have these already, I would recommend them and they're available  here.

Your Claud etchings look great, I have an ancient Blacksmith kit (brought about 27 years ago) and some Sheldrake chassis etchings and was hoping to cobble together two from the bits - but haven't started yet!

Jeff

Thoughts and opinions please.

Proof of concept on this one. Which do you prefer, baring in mind the time taken too. Also, I haven't put the extra laminate on the bosses of the laminated versions, if that makes sense.

Standard method of laminated rods - took about 3 minutes.

New method involving 13 pieces - about an hour including cleaning up and making pretty.

I could have done a better job on the fluting on the ends of the rods.

I have put both types of rods on the sheet, though in a perfect world I would scrap one set in favour of a bit more space for something else on the etch (not sure what yet). Or keep both sets so the laminated rods could be used for the less experienced builder?

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Keep both. As builders grow in confidence they might upgrade at a later date. Only problem is, that they will have a spare set of rods, hiding like malignant cells in the spares box  waiting to grow into another loco............

Edited by doilum
Misplaced comma
  • Like 2

One of the trickier parts of designing this kit was the depth of the frames just in front of the lead driving wheels. It's very shallow, and so to split the frames in line with the footplate would have made them quite weak.

A massively over-designed solution was required.

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1