7mm LNER D16/3 - Two years down and nothing to show !

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:17, Scale7JB said:

Well the etches have arrived. Unfortunately the etchers have missed some artwork, so will need I wait for a new sheet to arrive before I can crack on with a test build.

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I first started doing drawings for etching, I used a blue roughly same colour as you only to be told it needed to be much lighter (Cyan) as they couldn't pick it up

Michael 

Well, the bogie went together better than I could have expected, absolute joy to build.

There is a lot of detail missing from this spurring from the rear etch problem on this sheet, but needs to be built to check other clearances.

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well, plenty going on with the loco...

This is still a speed build rather than a beauty pageant.

Shown in the pictures is the ashpan, smokebox, boiler barrel and firebox wrapper. Also I have put together one of the lead driving wheel splashers.

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

One of my pet hates with buffer beams is sometimes having to guess where they need to be in relation to valances, especially when they don't reach all the way to the edges of the footplate like those on the D16.

Tack them down, check, add heat to remove because they're not quite centre, solder spreads, even more to clean up before you can reattach and try again.

These are self locating!

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I'm going to come clean, and I show this with the massive caveat that this is still the faulty etch with a through etch rather than rear etch, so I got the curves as close as I could without having something to truly form against, hence the wonky footplate in the shot of the cab.

The foot plate is too long by around 3.5mm which puts everything out of kilter, though I have found the error easy to fix). Also the shelf that the smokebox sits on is too low. Took me a while to find out why, but looks like the frames aren't deep enough around that area, and that has passed through into affecting one or two other areas (this may take a little longer as I need to keep an eye out for a knock-on effect).

JB. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...

Well its been a while, and an awful lot longer than i'd hoped, but i really wanted to make sure version 2.0 is as correct as I can make it. I hope there isn't a need for a version 3.0!

Probably 60-70 adjustments/modifications/improvements in all. It will be a much better kit now. Artwork sent off today, and so I hope to have a built, though not necessarily running loco for placement on the Love Lane layout at the Bristol O Gauge Group show in a couple of weeks time. I have decided I will need to draw up the tender for the D16 as no one has yet designed the particular version required.

Bushell_D16_Sheet1_090120.jpg.4ad5fce92dc2896b985514ec60c8d0e7.jpg

JB.

Edited by Scale7JB
Bad punctuation.
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Well thankfully the footplate is now the correct length. As mentioned previously this was bad housekeeping whilst I was still working in TurboCad Mac Pro, a hateful program.

Found some of that Finney7 solder. Think it may run out tomorrow though..

I tried to find a way to make curving the footplate easier, mostly by putting half etch markings on the underside of the footplate to tell the builder where to start and stop the curves in relation to the curves on the valance. I think it certainly helped a bit but not sure how much in relation to the dimples that have resulted in the top edge of the footplate. I'll find out if they're still visible after painting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Been concentrating on the bogie which should be finished tomorrow, but tonight thought inwouldnlooknat something different. Possibly the most difficult part of the kit - Cab side and front sheets.

Over the moon with how it worked out.

The splasher is not soldered on to the footplate just yet.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3