New release 32-791DS - what decoder?

meatloaf

• RMweb Gold

The blue pullman uses a ZIMO, but im yet to see the mainstream releases switch to ZIMO, they normally stick with the select... i would expect a price rise would be apparent if Bachmann were to switch to zimo, as that would put a sizeable dent in their margins....

There isnt much wrong with a select provided the sound project is good.....granted the 37s and 47s are not very good in my opinion but the 101 is an excellent sounding unit and it has a select....

granted selects cannot be easily reblown, but the speaker options are no different to a V4 full fat decoder.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Could be Zimo if its very recent, I've been told thats what they are using now

I thought that but then I fitted an EM2 to one and it was actually very impressive,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Very nice, much better sound.  Although I have opted out of the Earthmover and just standardised my fleet on the Zimo Dumbo range.  They are a great compromise and keeps me out of trouble with the wife.  At least the full chip allows you to reblow from another provider.

regards

Doug

6 hours ago, pheaton said:

The blue pullman uses a ZIMO, but im yet to see the mainstream releases switch to ZIMO, they normally stick with the select... i would expect a price rise would be apparent if Bachmann were to switch to zimo, as that would put a sizeable dent in their margins....

There isnt much wrong with a select provided the sound project is good.....granted the 37s and 47s are not very good in my opinion but the 101 is an excellent sounding unit and it has a select....

granted selects cannot be easily reblown, but the speaker options are no different to a V4 full fat decoder.

Selects have finished now, selects not produced for the ESU v5 so that maybe the reason Bachmann have gone on to Zimo, cheeper than the v5 I suspect..

Wiggy.

On 03/10/2019 at 21:56, Richard Croft said:

... I was told by someone who’s likely to know that it’s only the firmware that differers, not the actual hardware, ...

In that case anyone with a LokProgrammer should be able to update the decoder firmware as this is an option on the associated software. It would be interesting to see if anyone with a V4 decoder can/has done that.

2 hours ago, RAF96 said:

In that case anyone with a LokProgrammer should be able to update the decoder firmware as this is an option on the associated software. It would be interesting to see if anyone with a V4 decoder can/has done that.

As above, the whole point of the select is that it is locked to prevent consumers uploading new sounds onto them.

The Loksound selects have been replaced by the USA/Australia only DCC versions of the V5. The only differences are that the DCC versions don't do the other protocols such as MFX, and don't come with a speaker.

"The LokSound 5 DCC is made for the North American and Australian markets. It is a pure DCC Decoder, which supports RailComPlus and can also be used on DC layouts."

"Can you explain what happens with the Select product line?

The LokSound Select is getting discontinued. It will still be supported but the reason of the change is partly because of an end of life component issue. It is getting harder and harder to find the components needed to produce the Selects and V4.0s. They are 10 years old in 2019... The V5 DCC has some of the best parts of the Selects combined with the programmability of the V4.0s plus some new and exciting features. We've priced this at the Select price though so it really is the best the both worlds.

Can I load a Select sound file on 5 hardware?  

Only V4.0 files can be loaded onto 5s.

Will the Select file library be converted to 5 files or reprocessed as new 5's?

Almost all of the Select files have V4.0 equivalents. These will convert automatically to load into a 5 with the LokProgrammer 5.0.0 Software."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1