Model Trees

woko

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work on the trees but the buildings look rather splendid as well. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

They don't just resemble trees, they look like trees. Can I ask where you sourced the seamoss, it looks quite fine.

Thanks Mikkel for those kind words, its just ordinary Seamoss from gaugemaster, all I have done is break the small parts of the seamoss  off and glue them to the wire trunks, and then give it a spray with matt dark brown, followed by a couple of light mist sprays of primer grey, and a dash of red oxide for some variation. 

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Lovely work on the trees but the buildings look rather splendid as well. 

Rob. 

Cheers Rob :) 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Best trees with foliage I’ve seen yet. Good work 

Thanks Simon, having been following your excellent work on HeatonLodge its praise indeed, and i’m going to be taking your advice next on how you apply static grass, and the sieved soil to dull down the shininess, which I had no idea about before reading your thread!

Many thanks

Rob 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, woko said:

i’m going to be taking your advice next on how you apply static grass, and the sieved soil to dull down the shininess, which I had no idea about before reading your thread!

Nor did I , but I use this method all the time now - much more realistic.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Nor did I , but I use this method all the time now - much more realistic.

Indeed it makes such a difference! Just got to work out how to make good looking flowers and bushes next to :) 

It wasn’t my idea I think it came from Giles who occasionally posts - an absolutely incredible modeller.

But yes it works a treat..

Once again tho excellent work with the trees. One of the reasons I set HL in the winter was I couldn’t seem to get trees with foliage to look like trees. 

You seem to have cracked it! 

12 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

It wasn’t my idea I think it came from Giles who occasionally posts - an absolutely incredible modeller.

But yes it works a treat..

Once again tho excellent work with the trees. One of the reasons I set HL in the winter was I couldn’t seem to get trees with foliage to look like trees. 

You seem to have cracked it! 

I have seen Giles work on static grass its extremely good, and I am currently watching his videos, I notice he uses Polak static grasses, there are currently so many different brands at the moment its hard to know which to use, or if it matters?

As for the summer trees there is no secret to them, just a simple blend of light, and dark noch leafs mixed together  to give colour variation, before applying to the tree frame. I do however use matt modge podge with a brush not hair spray to fix the leafs! The reason for this is so when sprinkling the leafs over the tree canopy/ Seafoam they dont stick to the branches! 

Bizarrely though I really wanted to set my dads model railway in Winter/Autumn as I personally think its more interesting visually, but my dad wanted summer! And its his railway :) But the work on Heaton Lodge is very inspirational, along with a lot of other great modelling works on here, so much so next year i’m hopefully planning to build an office/studio in the garden I can build my own model railway, and hopefully incorporate a lot of the learnings I have picked up from all you great folks on here :)

• Informative/Useful 1

Ref static grass I tried literally dozens of combinations to get the washed out winter grass I wanted to replicate.

In the end I used two brands mixed in a kitchen mixer. Mini - Natur late fall in 6mm and Noch wild grass in beige (12mm). This is for O gauge -  so choose shorter lengths for OO.

Best suppliers for Mini-Natur are from them direct in Germany - their website is English and they supply to the U.K.

New modellers shop are best for Noch.

These two combined give really great results and even if modelling a summer layout I’d still use this combo

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Ref static grass I tried literally dozens of combinations to get the washed out winter grass I wanted to replicate.

In the end I used two brands mixed in a kitchen mixer. Mini - Natur late fall in 6mm and Noch wild grass in beige (12mm). This is for O gauge -  so choose shorter lengths for OO.

Best suppliers for Mini-Natur are from them direct in Germany - their website is English and they supply to the U.K.

New modellers shop are best for Noch.

These two combined give really great results and even if modelling a summer layout I’d still use this combo

Thanks for the tips, i'm looking those grasses up now, already baked some earth earlier ready for sieving on afterwards. :) 

I knocked up a couple more trees over the weekend, need to vary the sizes and forms a bit as the first few where similiar heights, so adding a larger and smaller multi stemmed tree to the collection, before starting to explore undergrowth and bushes!

364D5A0B-7E0D-4C30-9339-AAC3CA954BB4.jpeg.6a313405784be3cfc6390c16d31cf4b2.jpeg316DC81E-E1BE-42D6-93D7-B92E1DB8A54D.jpeg.22e2ae42a390951cf27fc1e71062c30f.jpeg03F99C99-32DF-4881-B8ED-B2B9E51D0437.jpeg.21804745bb84e23b7de66c5ae028d678.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:06, woko said:

I knocked up a couple more trees over the weekend, need to vary the sizes and forms a bit as the first few where similiar heights, so adding a larger and smaller multi stemmed tree to the collection, before starting to explore undergrowth and bushes!

364D5A0B-7E0D-4C30-9339-AAC3CA954BB4.jpeg.6a313405784be3cfc6390c16d31cf4b2.jpeg316DC81E-E1BE-42D6-93D7-B92E1DB8A54D.jpeg.22e2ae42a390951cf27fc1e71062c30f.jpeg03F99C99-32DF-4881-B8ED-B2B9E51D0437.jpeg.21804745bb84e23b7de66c5ae028d678.jpeg

These are super!!

great work ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2020 at 23:38, gobbler said:

Great trees 

Where do you get the sea moss from?

Cheers.

Scott

Sorry haven’t been on this in a while: the seafoam is from gaugemaster, about 20 squid a box I believe, I have tried the WWS stuff, and it wasn’t as good, a lot of useless squashed bits I found, the fuller less squashed seafoam works best for nicer looking trees! I need to work on scribbing the bark next time.

• Agree 1

On 20/04/2020 at 02:48, saxokid said:

Im trying to grow this stuff at the min in the green house,seamoss worked treat last year...

I have some seeds to i want to plant up, have you started yours yet? What do you need any ideas much appreciated 

• Friendly/supportive 1