Hams Hall Power Station

Snowdown Colliery 1972

St.Dunstan

Castle Donington Power Station 1977

Castle Donington Power Station

Imperial Paper Mill 1972

Imperial Paper Mill

kent - imperial paper mills gravesend 04-0f no 2 in 76 JL

I can remember seeing S100 (shown at Prince of Wales) at Peckfield colliery in 1971

• RMweb Gold

Even later, John Turner, 53A Models of this parish, has recently posted some pictures of an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST shunting Sheerness Steel PXA big box wagons at a scrapyard in Shipley in 1983. I understand the loco had been restored there and soon moved on to other sites, but it would make a good excuse for using a Hattons version on a modern image layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Even later, John Turner, 53A Models of this parish, has recently posted some pictures of an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST shunting Sheerness Steel PXA big box wagons at a scrapyard in Shipley in 1983. I understand the loco had been restored there and soon moved on to other sites, but it would make a good excuse for using a Hattons version on a modern image layout.

Harry wasn't it? 

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/andrew-barclay-works-no-1823-henry-harry-0-4-0st/

Jason

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Thanks for the heads up. So that's three places that were still using steam into the 80s, I wonder if there are any more?

c.06/1983 - Crossley Evans scrapyard, Shipley, West Yorkshire.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The obvious omission is Bold Colliery.

Robert and Whiston were working well into the 1980s, with Robert even turning up at Rocket 150 under it's own steam by running along the mainline.

http://www.8dassociation.btck.co.uk/TheLancashireCoalfield/NCBBoldColliery

Jason

Cheers, mission corrected.

From 1980

Bold Colliery Bold Colliery, Whiston Bold Colliery, Whiston

"Joseph" - Bold Colliery

THE REAL THING SECRET LOCATION

This is from 1979,  but it shows some kind of cable haulage system. Doe anyone know what it was for?

Bold Colliery, September 1979

• Like 13

Comrie Colliery

I can't work out if the NCB had an excess of yellow paint in the 70s  or a lack of black paint?

19 at Comrie Colliery No.19 Comrie Colliery

These seem to be from 1982 so perhaps someone could confirm that Comrie still used steam in the 80s?

NCB Comrie a May82_NEW NCB Comrie May82_NEW NCB Comrie b May82_NEW

8010 (20010) & National Coal Board Scottish North Area 0-4-0ST No 30, Frances colliery, June 1973.  The English Electric Type 1 propels a brake van into the colliery yard.  Photo by Les Tindall.

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly enjoying these uploads of industrial steam, thanks for all the pictures.

The ones from Comrie in 1982 look like they were taken on 9/4/82 as I was at Comrie that day on an organised visit to see the steam and ride the branch to the exchange sidings (hence the brake van). Steam was only kept in use as a standby to an 08 hired in from BR and only steamed for special visits, like the one I was on.

One of my pictures from that day  https://www.flickr.com/photos/127282573@N03/30296831108/in/photolist-2ahA4yV-Naebn3

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, drjcontroller said:

Thoroughly enjoying these uploads of industrial steam, thanks for all the pictures.

The ones from Comrie in 1982 look like they were taken on 9/4/82 as I was at Comrie that day on an organised visit to see the steam and ride the branch to the exchange sidings (hence the brake van). Steam was only kept in use as a standby to an 08 hired in from BR and only steamed for special visits, like the one I was on.

One of my pictures from that day  https://www.flickr.com/photos/127282573@N03/30296831108/in/photolist-2ahA4yV-Naebn3

Oh right. It's a little disappointing to know that it technically wasn't still in regular use back then, but thanks for the info and the picture.

I think the last steam that could still be classed as working industrial were the two RSH 0-4-0ST at Castle Donnington power station, they were still active well into the late 1980s. I remember going to see them at an open day and having a footplate ride with the inimitable Lionel Gadsby at the power station. This was the same year we borrowed one of the two locos for a gala at Foxfield. The power station and locos apearred in the BBC series, 'The Train Now Departing', still available on iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p011v86f/the-train-now-departing-5-lines-of-industry

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1