70s Industrial steam

On 11/10/2019 at 10:37, sir douglas said:

i dont know for sure of the which locos or which years but some of the castleford area locos like airedale, fryston or allerton were still going into the mid 80's

This is not correct, I don't know where this information comes from.

As in the post above, 1981 was the last year I am aware of a steam loco being used in the Yorkshire area collieries. 

• RMweb Gold

Peckett B3 Menalaus was still working on a daily basis at Marine Colliery Cwm (Ebbw Vale), which it had been supplied to in 1934, in 1985.  It may have worked there until 1989, at which point it was taken to the Blaenavon Railway site where AFAIK it still is, but I cannot confirm this

On 18/10/2019 at 18:41, The Johnster said:

Peckett B3 Menalaus was still working on a daily basis at Marine Colliery Cwm (Ebbw Vale), which it had been supplied to in 1934, in 1985.  It may have worked there until 1989, at which point it was taken to the Blaenavon Railway site where AFAIK it still is, but I cannot confirm this

Thanks, I've found this picture of it in April 1983 and the caption says that it stayed in use until 1985.

Cwm 'Marine' Colliery.

And this is totally OT, but it's the same location and I love the contrast between the 37 in Railfreight livery and the dirty and battered hoppers (1988)

37377 Marine Colliery 130588 (7B72) 37377 Marine Colliery 130588 (6B87)

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Respite said:

This is not correct, I don't know where this information comes from.

As in the post above, 1981 was the last year I am aware of a steam loco being used in the Yorkshire area collieries. 

As posted earlier, S134 worked at Wheldale a few months into 1982. I have feeling that there was steam working at one of the South Yorkshire  collieries a little later but don't have books to hand.

On 11/10/2019 at 21:22, Mark Saunders said:

The three hoppers that appear to be Prince of Wales internal users, the first is an ex LNER design 25 ton ore hopper and is the design with side brake levers. The other two are LMS 20 ton iron ore hoppers with greedy boards added! Standard Wagon were refurbishing withdrawn BR wagons and hiring or selling to industrial users!

Mark Saunders

Correct. The wagons have numbers preceded by "POW".  For anyone new to this subject, Yorkshire collieries had this simple ID tag based on the colliery name.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/10/2019 at 18:41, The Johnster said:

Menalaus  is currently at the Caledonian Railway, Brechin awaiting overhaul.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 18/10/2019 at 22:09, doilum said:

As posted earlier, S134 worked at Wheldale a few months into 1982. I have feeling that there was steam working at one of the South Yorkshire  collieries a little later but don't have books to hand.

Steve Gudgin's amazing photo essay on the final years of Yorkshire coal mining has 25th September 1982'as "Wheldale"s last day. Tom Heavyside's "Yorkshire's last days of colliery steam" mentions steam working until 1982 ,at Smithywood coking plant. Glad to hear any further examples.

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Kearsley Power Station 1982

Kearsley Power Station

Now to some of the less well informed members of the forum these pictures might seem off topic    *ahem*

Kearsley Power Station 1970s

Kearsley power station, 1972 Kearsley power station CEGB loco shunting 1970's Kearsley power station CEGB loco 1970's Kearsley Electric Locos Number 3 and 4 - 10th August, 1975 Electrics at Kearsley

4 Kearsley Power Station 26/9/1979 Kearsley Power Station

CEGB Electric Loco No.3 - Kearsley Power Station. at Kearsley Power Station 1980

Who built these locos, and were they used elsewhere at power stations? I seem to remember Upper Boat power station had an electric loco, but I was too young to be bothered with non steam!

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 88D said:

Who built these locos, and were they used elsewhere at power stations? I seem to remember Upper Boat power station had an electric loco, but I was too young to be bothered with non steam!

Hawthorn Leslie built Nos.1 & 2, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns built Nos. 3 & 4

No. 2 was rebuilt as a battery loco & moved to Heysham Power Station,two of the others  (1 & 3 I think) are preserved,  although I'm not sure where either of them are. No. 1 was at Manchester Science & Industry Museum, along with one of the Agecroft Colliery steam locos, but I don't think the electric loco is there anymore.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Hawthorn Leslie built Nos.1 & 2, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns built Nos. 3 & 4

No. 2 was rebuilt as a battery loco & moved to Heysham Power Station,two of the others  (1 & 3 I think) are preserved,  although I'm not sure where either of them are. No. 1 was at Manchester Science & Industry Museum, along with one of the Agecroft Colliery steam locos, but I don't think the electric loco is there anymore.

One is, or was, at Tanfield.  With another more important electric.....   I was born in one of those houses!

1883730357_9white.jpg.d5873b9f6eb5fdabe047f1806af633bb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, doilum said:

Were they replaced by diesels or was this the end of internal railways?

Well I believe that most of the coal came direct from Agecroft colliery via a conveyer belt, so I don't know if any locos were even needed although the power station stayed open for another 12 years.

38 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Well I believe that most of the coal came direct from Agecroft colliery via a conveyer belt, so I don't know if any locos were even needed although the power station stayed open for another 12 years.

There is a bit on the Wikipedia entry. Looks like all 3 were saved. I have often thought that Fryston might have had a conveyor link to Ferrybridge if not for the strike which eventually ended operations.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:18, johnofwessex said:

I gather that Sentinel Steam Lorries worked on into the 70's..................

8122  (OF) worked until 1982.  Dad left for Canada in 1979,  Murray & Ewan continued on with Mick the Scrap (Mick Jones)  & Nigel until fall 1981, when Ewan passed away.  Murray Lloyd Jones worked OF and I think Big Johnny a small amount in 1982 to run out contracts- though it could have been the diesel roller instead.

There were also at least 2 sets of plowing engines used until the mid/late 70's, although one set was apparently in dire need of boiler work by the end.  

I know my dad has commented on Traction Talk about it.  There is 8mm film taken probably in summer 1976 of OF working.

7155071815_63283480c9_z.jpg8122 by Peach James, on Flickr

James

• Like 2