70s Industrial steam

• 2 weeks later...

South Hetton Colliery

South Hetton's No. 69 on shed NCB 62 at South Hetton Colliery

Graig Merthyr Colliery

IndSt56

These shots from 1976 makes the loco look like it's got a Thomas The Tank Engine face!

IndSt278 IndSt279

'Norma' on the Climb

Note the L plate in this shot!

5923/32-33 Graig Merthyr

The caption says that this loco was taken out of use early in 1980.

5923/56-57 Graig Merthyr

Coal from Graig Merthyr

5923/28-29 Graig Merthyr

There's also an article about the last few years of steam at Graig Merthyr here

https://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/2833/from-our-archive-the-last-beasts-of-man-craig-merthyr-sadder-with-other-tales-to-tell/

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 17

On 22/10/2019 at 20:50, Andy Kirkham said:

I visited Mountain Ash three times and never saw the pannier tank 7754 in use. Nor have I ever seen a photograph of it working there. Was it ever used?

'NCB No.8' in Mountain Ash Shed

Yes, I went three times as well, and only saw it running once. I seem to remember one of the footplate crew saying it wasn’t a popular loco, and they preferred the saddletank. I was too young to ask why, and to understand any answer!

In light of recent discussion about the aperture in the cab rear, there seems to be some variation in size to investigate. Number 69 has a repair patch welded in, the "L" plated example has a large lamp door but the one captioned "1973" appears smaller.

On 05/11/2019 at 21:43, Corbs said:

Interesting toolboxes (if that's what they are) on those Hetton Austerities.

I have a vague memory that these are associated with the underfeed stoker and may house small donkey engines used to drive them... However I may be miles wide of the mark on that as I cannot find any reference to them at the moment.

So I found out this information after a chat about Crossley Evans Scrapyard in Shipley on Facebook. Surely a competitor for last industrial steam user?

Crossleys acquired a Barclays 0-4-0ST from the YDR at Embsay in 1975 and named it Harry, it continued to be used until 1982 when it returned to preservation. The company had 5 diesel shunters at one time, 4 built by Rushton & Hornby and 1 by Hunslet. This is Harry shunting the yard in '82, not long before moving away. (a whitaker).

FB_IMG_1573470875937.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Very nice footage of Brynlliw from 2:12, with a 37-hauled eastbound coal train (and the M4!) in the background.  Brynlliw got much less attention from photographers - published ones at least - than Graig Merthyr, even though it was almost across the road.  Fortunately Peckett 1426 survives (just about) in Swansea.

20 hours ago, Corbs said:

Very odd chimney on this one, Monty. Any ideas why?

20024846198_4efef64122_b.jpg

I know very little about them to be honest, but from a bit of Googling it seems that Hunslet  fitted it with a special Hunslet GPCS stoking system. From Railway Magazine July 2012...

"One of the last industrial locations to use steam regularly in Britain was the NCB Coal Products Division’s Smithywood Coking Plant at Chapeltown, near Rotherham, which continued to do so into the 1980s. HE 3888 of 1964 was a rebuild of Hunslet 3192 of 1944, and was photographed on standby duty in front of the coke ovens on March 21,1975, having spent a few days shunting the coke car when the usual electric locomotive was under repair. Notice the characteristic chimney usually fitted as part of the GPCS system."

23 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Very nice footage of Brynlliw from 2:12, with a 37-hauled eastbound coal train (and the M4!) in the background.  Brynlliw got much less attention from photographers - published ones at least - than Graig Merthyr, even though it was almost across the road.  Fortunately Peckett 1426 survives (just about) in Swansea.

Well I have found quite a few pictures of Brynlliw on Flickr and it sees very modelllable with the compact layout and the loading screens???

Brynlliw, late NCB steam Brynlliw Colliery

NCB 1426 Brynlliw June 1974 OCT 74R 18. Pecket 0-6-0ST 1426 at Brylliw colliery, September 1974 Brynlliw Colliery, Grovesend, South Wales. Peckett 0-6-0ST 2114 built 1951. BRYNLLIW Brynlliw Colliery

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Well I have found quite a few pictures of Brynlliw on Flickr and it sees very modelllable with the compact layout and the loading screens???

Brynlliw, late NCB steam 

I agree, an excellent prototype for modelling and a wonderful variety of mineral wagons.  Peckett 1426 is a B2 class so Hornby's model is appropriate, but would need the chimney and dome to be modified at least.

Again, something in the background of the first shot.  Based on the very high angle of sun it's likely the Paddington - Fishguard Harbour boat train with two blue GUVs behind the 47.  

Edited by Northmoor
Extra note

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I agree, an excellent prototype for modelling and a wonderful variety of mineral wagons.  Peckett 1426 is a B2 class so Hornby's model is appropriate, but would need the chimney and dome to be modified at least.

Again, something in the background of the first shot.  Based on the very high angle of sun it's likely the Paddington - Fishguard Harbour boat train with two blue GUVs behind the 47.  

One of those Brinlliw pictures is mine. I travelled overnight from Bristol on the 01:10 Bristol-Milford Haven and got a bus from Swansea to Pontardulais. Rail operations on the Graig Merthyr line seemed to over by early afternoon so I walked over to Brynlliw. I don't remember there being much in the way of perimiter fencing and I just strolled in and was invited for a ride on the footplate. Unlike when I tried the same at Blaenavon and was hauled into the manager's office and told off in no uncertain terms.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2