70s Industrial steam

On 02/12/2019 at 20:21, sb67 said:

More wonderfully atmospheric photo's :) I love the Peckfield colliery pics, the one with the footbridge has given me an idea for my layout!

On 02/12/2019 at 18:54, montyburns56 said:

Peckfield Colliery

Peckfield Colliery 18" Austerity

wyks - ncb hc 0-6-0t s100 shunting internal wagons peckfield colliery c71 JL

These are all from 1968, but they are too good not to post.

Peckfield Colliery Micklefield Peckfield Colliery Hunslet S115 Frank Aug 68 J1380 Micklefield Peckfield Colliery Hudswell Clarke S100 backing tippers to tip Aug 68 J1378

Micklefield Peckfield Colliery Hunslet S115 Frank Aug 68 J1377 Micklefield Peckfield Colliery Hudswell Clarke S100 Aug 68 J1379 Micklefield Peckfield Colliery Hudswell Clarke S100 Aug 68 J1382

This one is interesting as it features what must have been brand new HAA hoppers

Micklefield Peckfield Colliery Aug 68 J1381

Excellent. I have seen most of the Peckfield photos before, but not all in colour. As I don't have an example of a Hawthorne Leslie Frank has been on my "to build" list for some time now and I am slowly warming to the idea of a pair of HAA.

Students of colliery rolling stock will notice the number of detail differences in just a handful of examples of the tippler wagons. 

Edited by doilum
Missing loco type
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not strictly appropriate as this was 1981, but it's a good story anyway. Peckett 0-6-0ST Henbury came out of retirement in 1981 to haul coal trains from Ashton Meadows to Whapping Wharf while the Western Fuel Co.'s Hudswell Clarke diesel was under repair.

Thanks to Paul and John Stanford for this photo (please do not reproduce elsewhere)

pict0482.jpg?w=1000&h=

I did a blog post about this event, including film shot by Bob Edwardes, here:

https://bristolharbourrailway.co.uk/2014/11/27/tbt-henbury-makes-history-coal-trains-in-1981/

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Why would a nearby coking plant affect the colour???

This was the colour used at several smokeless fuel plants in Yorkshire and, I suspect elsewhere. To quote the late Ron Rockett describing Coal Products #6 "the name was as imaginative as the light blue livery was useful".

Where colliery and coke ovens were on the same site I suppose it made identification easier. Te pale blue might have encouraged frequent washing of corrosive dust.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, doilum said:

Was the baby blue a colliery colour, or was there a nearby coking plant?

I'm sure it's just that the colour has faded from a darker blue. I've seen photos of NCB engines in Northumberland and they are a dark blue.  There is a photo of 33 in a book that I have and it's worn but not in such a state as in the photo here and is already faded but not as bad and certainly isn't as rusty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I long live in hope for some phots of the Hartshead Power Station locos - one a little industrial and the other an even smaller fireless loco.

What a great thread!

Kev.

• Agree 2

A few of mine for now, taken at Bickershaw Leigh. No.7 is seen shunting empty MGR'S on the exchange sidings at Bolton House Rd. 21-Jan''83. And in 1982 loco's Respite and Gwyneth are seen at the Bickershaw Colliery, Plank Ln. end scrapped and stored.

2019-12-07_12_13_40.jpg

2019-12-07_12_12_46.jpg

2019-12-07_12_16_08.jpg

2019-12-07_12_16_02.jpg

• Like 13

On 06/12/2019 at 19:28, SHMD said:

I long live in hope for some phots of the Hartshead Power Station locos - one a little industrial and the other an even smaller fireless loco.

What a great thread!

Kev.

Thanks Kev. Unfortunately I could only find pictures of the Hartshead locos when they were being moved to Embsay in 1977.

s 454

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1