70s Industrial steam

16 hours ago, Ben B said:

There's a preserved surviving Austerity up at the Aln Valley Railway with one of these rounded cabs; saw it briefly the last time I was camping up that way...

That's right, Ben. This must be ex-NCB No 60 (Hunslet Engine Co No 3686 of 1948) originally with the Lambton Railway and then at Dawdon Colliery (near Seaham Harbour). It first went to the Strathspey Railway for preservation.

(It wasn't one of the ones which went to Derwenthaugh)

Trevor

16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

If you search for Esholt Works on Flickr you'll find quite a few pictures of what remains on the site.

Esholt Works 1973 

Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973 Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973(that's sewage to you and me) Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973 Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973 Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973

That bridge has featured in a few ITV Yorkshire dramas; DCI Banks, for one. The Hunslet diesel in the last photo was named PRINCE OF WALES and ended up being the shunter at the Shipley scrapyard of Crossley's. I think it's still there, although out of use since rail traffic ceased.

• Informative/Useful 2

The Hunslet diesel in the last photo was named PRINCE OF WALES and ended up being the shunter at the Shipley scrapyard of Crossley's. I think it's still there, although out of use since rail traffic ceased.

I can confirm it was still there, as of last Monday, though probably hasn't turned a wheel in a decade (thanks to the whole skulduggery with Network Rail trying to sell the site out from under CE, and the consequent end of rail traffic).  "Venom", the ex-Longmoor shunter, a Sentinel, and the two ancient, battered, R&H 88DS shunters were still on site, all looking very faded and worse for wear.  Surprisingly not scrapped though, the management, whilst not running rail-served traffic, must have a soft spot for the locomotives....

• Informative/Useful 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for those, really interesting shots of locos of which (I think) all survive, even the Class 12 diesel (now the only one).  Also the overhead wires in the exchange sidings, as used by Class 71s!

I find these smaller coalfield areas particularly interesting; when the mainstream media talks about "former coal-mining areas" you know they've never considered places like Fife, Lancashire or Kent , all of which were active until after the 1984-85 strike.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Snowdown Colliery

Open Day 1978

NCB Snowdown Colliery Open Day, 1978

snowdown15 st thomas+austerity 9

I love those slim line water tanks, presumably that narrow to fit in the site between the tracks and the road.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Moxy said:

I love those slim line water tanks, presumably that narrow to fit in the site between the tracks and the road.

I hadn't noticed them until you pointed them out. The odd thing is they don't look as if they would contain enough water to fill a single engine!

• Agree 2

I'm just posting this one as it looks slightly incongruous to have a steam engine pulling some old hopper style wagons with the modern British Steel logo on one of them. It does beg the question when was the logo introduced?

Harrington Coal Preparation Plant, Lowca, Cumbria, 22nd June 1972.

British Steel Internal Wagons

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 17

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if I'm going to get away with this, BUT it's a British-built standard Hawthorn Leslie design at work in Turkey in 1976, it's just an awesome photo.

P67TK4.jpg.f4ae1468e22b270ccfc8cd6c4c71913d.jpg

P67TKF.jpg.112f7e41ff5983abcec2f456ff996c3d.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, SHMD said:

A general question.

Would the 16 tonner, in the last pic above, need to be swept out after this?

Kev.

It hasn't finished emptying yet; it'll take a little time for the conveyor to clear that lot. There won't be enough left in the wagon to require sweeping out.

• Thanks 1