70s Industrial steam

• RMweb Premium
On 05/10/2019 at 20:12, montyburns56 said:

St John's Colliery, Maesteg 1975

St John's Colliery, Maesteg THE WAY IT USED TO BE 'Pamela' at Maesteg 049 Maesteg Colliery 2.4.73 046 Maesteg Colliery 2.4.73

This shot in particular is so inspirational.

St.John's Colliery Departure

Old Gringo has just pointed this thread out to me, fantastic stuff.

Middle photo, who's not weathered their coal wagon then, weathering on the loco possibly a little heavy handed.

Andy

• Like 2

On 09/12/2020 at 16:44, wagonbasher said:

Old Gringo has just pointed this thread out to me, fantastic stuff.

Middle photo, who's not weathered their coal wagon then, weathering on the loco possibly a little heavy handed.

Andy

Prototype for everything!!

Jesting aside these are fabulous ! photos for anyone wanting to take their austerity to the next level. Start with the cab rear details and size of coal ( not a mechanical stoker). The weathering is about right, maybe a tad light) anything cleaner was recently ex works or spent significant hours on standby.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

NCB Eccles

That one should go in the real railways looking like a model thread. It's begging to be a diorama so much I almost want to switch from current projects.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

On 18/12/2020 at 18:55, montyburns56 said:

Norwood Coking Plant 1971

Norwood Coking Plant Barclay

That's another of the when the prototype looks like a model, although the weathering has been laid on a bit heavily and the transfers needed more careful application. 

Paul

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Croda Hydrocarbons 1979 

Croda Hydrocarbons

Croda Hydrocarbons, Four Ashes, 0-4-0F built by Barclays works No. 1944 of 1927

Is that Four Ashes? I often looked out for it on my occasional trips along the line between Wolverhampton and Stafford, but never got lucky. The only fireless I saw working was the one at Ardrossan. I've probably got photos somewhere.

22 hours ago, Jeremy C said:

Is that Four Ashes? I often looked out for it on my occasional trips along the line between Wolverhampton and Stafford, but never got lucky. The only fireless I saw working was the one at Ardrossan. I've probably got photos somewhere.

Yes that's the one at Four Ashes. It used to hide inside the works and you could only spot it when it came out to shunt. I only spotted it once from a train on the Grand Junction. There and Penkridge sidings for Littleton Colliery were regular places to look out for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

No. 59, which from other sources I see is VF 5300/1945 isn't listed in my 1976 Industrial Locomotives book at all, at least, not under NCB or Tyne and Wear,

The pannier tank appears to be Kitson 2509/1883, NCB No 41, which was at Tanfield in 1976 and I think is now at the North Tyneside Steam Railway. My guess is that the photos are a decade out.

I would not like to guess what the third locomotive is, although the cab and curved handrail look distinctive enough.

• Agree 2