70s Industrial steam

• RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2021 at 21:26, figworthy said:

The barges were almost certainly supplying Skelton Grange power station (SE corner of Leeds).  IIRC when the contract finished they were sold to somewhere in West Africa (Nigeria ?).

In the background is one of the pusher tugs and a set of pans, as mentioned by Dolium.

Adrian

When did Skelton Grange lose its rail connection?  It was open until the early 90s but pretty sure the rail connection had long gone

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The locomotive's exhaust suggests that it is perhaps propelling the wagons.

Gibbo.

The accompanying map suggests that there are no run round loops, so propelling would make sense.

Annoyingly, I used to live a handful of miles away from there, but at the time I was only knee high to the proverbial, so wouldn't have been allowed to go and investigate it.  By the time I was old enough, the railway had closed, and we've moved away.

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, russ p said:

When did Skelton Grange lose its rail connection?  It was open until the early 90s but pretty sure the rail connection had long gone

Sorry I can't help on that, but the barges stopped running there sometime around 1974/5.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sir douglas said:

looking at the bend in the river its going away from the staithe

No.  The photo is taken from the western side of the bridge. Look for the small stream joining the river just under the arch. The meander curves round to the right.

10 hours ago, figworthy said:

The accompanying map suggests that there are no run round loops, so propelling would make sense.

Annoyingly, I used to live a handful of miles away from there, but at the time I was only knee high to the proverbial, so wouldn't have been allowed to go and investigate it.  By the time I was old enough, the railway had closed, and we've moved away.

Adrian

Propelling trains on colliery lines was normal practice. The loco is probably S115 Antwerp. S134 also worked here at this time but has ladders fixed to the tank sides. According to Ron Rockett's book on Castleford colliery railways the large austerities could only cross the iron bridge in later years after the track had been relaid. Previously clearance issues restricted this line to the smaller 15" locos. He reckoned that around ,50% of the output of Primrose Hill went out by river filling some six barges each day.

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, figworthy said:

Sorry I can't help on that, but the barges stopped running there sometime around 1974/5.

Adrian

That would mean that all the coal came in by road possibly from the South Yorkshire open cast via the M1. I'm not sure how much coal Skelton Grange consumed but it would be no where near the 10,000 tons a day going to Ferrybridge.

29 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Love the wagon there with the missing buffer head. Proves there's a prototype for anything :D

I love that too. But if I was driving I'd be wincing at all those low overhanging wires when there's a crane jib I can't see just above the cab roof!

On 14/02/2021 at 18:48, montyburns56 said:

Have we done 70s Industrial steam cranes yet? ;)

Doxfords Shipyard  1970

70 031 260270 Doxfords Shipyard Hendon

70 030 260270 Doxfords Shipyard

70 028 260270 Doxfords Shipyard

70 027 260270 Doxfords Shipyard

70 025 260270 Doxfords Shipyard shed

70 023 260270 Doxfords Shipyard

Looking at that lot shows you another reason for the decline of British shipbuilding; it's a mess! i think Doxfords had ceased building by then, and they weren't building many engines, either

• Agree 2

S134. I think these wagons ended up in the Wheldale collection.

The red 16 T wagon may have been a transfer from the North East. There were quite a few of the side tippers with the three chain links  Londonderry logo.

Edited by doilum
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, doilum said:

S134. I think these wagons ended up in the Wheldale collection.

The red 16 T wagon may have been a transfer from the North East. There were quite a few of the side tippers with the three chain links  Londonderry logo.

Almost certainly not ex North East but hired from Standard Wagon and shown in the PH Primrose Hill number series. The only 16 ton minerals in the Northumberland/Durham area were at Bates. The red livery is in the Yorkshire area style with the two white bars at each side.

The chain symbol was not just Londonderry but used on wagons showing maintenance date presumably for running over BR metals!

Mark

• Informative/Useful 4

I particularly like that last photo.

A gloomy day with the other side of the valley barely visible through the murk, but a bright plume of steam and a fairly clean loco stand out.

The level crossing gate casually left open to the road, with just a barely-legible caution sign. A car (Rover 100 or similar?) that is the wrong side of the gate.

The crew at work. Just so atmospheric.

• Agree 4

19 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Almost certainly not ex North East but hired from Standard Wagon and shown in the PH Primrose Hill number series. The only 16 ton minerals in the Northumberland/Durham area were at Bates. The red livery is in the Yorkshire area style with the two white bars at each side.

The chain symbol was not just Londonderry but used on wagons showing maintenance date presumably for running over BR metals!

Mark

Can you tell us more about Standard Wagon

44 minutes ago, doilum said:

Can you tell us more about Standard Wagon

Not much to tell, SRW (Standard Railway Wagon company) had two works at Reddish and Heywood, during the up to the late 60’s would purchase condemned wagons from BR, refurbish them then hire them to industrial users. British Steel and the Coal Board were customers and added to the hire fleet was some new build or rebodied wagons.

• Informative/Useful 5

5 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Not much to tell, SRW (Standard Railway Wagon company) had two works at Reddish and Heywood, during the up to the late 60’s would purchase condemned wagons from BR, refurbish them then hire them to industrial users. British Steel and the Coal Board were customers and added to the hire fleet was some new build or rebodied wagons.

And there was I thinking that they were " borrowed"!

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Standard waggon at Reddish were still open well into the 1980s .they were situaited alongside reddish south station on the Denton - Heaton norris line . The works were served by a trailing conection worked by a ground frame from the down goods at heaton norris .waggons would be tripped on the daily Target 24/25 pickup goods from Dewsnap - stockport or northenden & return .During my time as a box lad at Heaton Norris from 81 to 83 there would be at least one trip a week call usualy with cartics haa/ba and covhops for refurb . There would be an occasional Healymills - Redish train with a rake of cartics . There was a rake of very rusty hoppers in a siding alongside the mainline that were slowly being reclaimed by nature .iirc shunting was done by a tractor 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 19/02/2021 at 19:11, Mol_PMB said:

I particularly like that last photo.

A gloomy day with the other side of the valley barely visible through the murk, but a bright plume of steam and a fairly clean loco stand out.

The level crossing gate casually left open to the road, with just a barely-legible caution sign. A car (Rover 100 or similar?) that is the wrong side of the gate.

The crew at work. Just so atmospheric.

Yeah, me too as it has a bit of everything in it, including typical Welsh weather!

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, me too as it has a bit of everything in it, including typical Welsh weather!

It reminded me of a February day a couple of years ago when I got absolutely frozen on a green saddle tank in that sort of Welsh weather. I was driving Linda on a ballast turn after all the diesels had failed, but the weather was horizontal sleet and the mess van kettle was broken. Does that count as "2010s Industrial Steam"?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Excellent!!!

I think we have Antwerp, S134(with the ladders) and either Astley or Jubilee the 15:" Hunslets. The track laying makes Frydale look perfect!

If the cover photo is Astley I need to think about those custom weather shields on the cab. Maybe the engineer had an old MG.

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Funny 1