70s Industrial steam

On 18/02/2021 at 19:06, montyburns56 said:

Primrose HIll 1970

Interesting bridge design.

70 038 270270 Primrose Hill Colliery

I really love this bridge- thanks for sharing the pic!  I've been after something that I could do for the garden line later in the year, this has just the right mix of ornate styling and robustness to do the trick... might have a bit of a play with the laser cutter later this year, see if I can do something inspired by it.

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

I really love this bridge- thanks for sharing the pic!  I've been after something that I could do for the garden line later in the year, this has just the right mix of ornate styling and robustness to do the trick... might have a bit of a play with the laser cutter later this year, see if I can do something inspired by it.

Should be about 3' in O gauge. Hopefully with a water feature to set it off.

22 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

It reminded me of a February day a couple of years ago when I got absolutely frozen on a green saddle tank in that sort of Welsh weather. I was driving Linda on a ballast turn after all the diesels had failed, but the weather was horizontal sleet and the mess van kettle was broken. Does that count as "2010s Industrial Steam"?

Yet you'd give your right arm to be able to do something like that right now.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, PhilMortimer said:

Good view of the GPCS over fire air jets in the fire box sides on the Austerity in a couple of those shots.

Look sounds like another challenge! Might be a bit tight with an 1833 taking up most of the space. Guess they will have to be grain of wheat bulbs to match my analogue control.

11 hours ago, PhilMortimer said:

Or an Orange / Yellow colored LED in the fire box space with holes drilled in the firebox side. Would probably be able to get an ashpan glow as well.

Wouldn't an LED only work in one direction? 

I definitely need to start a programme of drilling holes to three of the four and then research why only the Austerities have this feature as as almost all of the locos in area 8 had the Hunslet Porta " clean air" system fitted. 

Having had a quick read of Martyn Bane's article I am really no wiser as to why only the Austerities have these holes. I  have to add S112 the 50550 to the list.

Edited by doilum
Additional information

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, doilum said:

Having had a quick read of Martyn Bane's article I am really no wiser as to why only the Austerities have these holes.

Martyn Bane's article ?? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Forgive my ignorance, but might it have been something to do with the inner firebox material? Did the austerities have steel and the older locos copper?

I would imagine that retro-fitting the secondary air holes in place of stays might have been more challenging with a copper box.

I believe that the Porta GCPS system with the firebox over fire jets were only applied to the Austerities (and possibly some of the the preceding 50550 class) in the UK because Hunslet viewed the Porta system as a means of increasing its loco sales in the 1960's, by improving fuel (and combustion) efficiency and reducing visible smoke emissions. At this time, Hunslet were buying back and rebuilding a substantial number of Austerities for resale and many of these ultimately ended up with the NCB.

I'll have to ask Shaun McMahon about this at some point - he was closely associated with Porta and Phil Girdlestone and still does a lot of work on GCPS.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, PhilMortimer said:

I believe that the Porta GCPS system with the firebox over fire jets were only applied to the Austerities (and possibly some of the the preceding 50550 class) in the UK because Hunslet viewed the Porta system as a means of increasing its loco sales in the 1960's, by improving fuel (and combustion) efficiency and reducing visible smoke emissions. At this time, Hunslet were buying back and rebuilding a substantial number of Austerities for resale and many of these ultimately ended up with the NCB.

I'll have to ask Shaun McMahon about this at some point - he was closely associated with Porta and Phil Girdlestone and still does a lot of work on GCPS.

It does seem to be very much  an Area 8 thing. This is the NCB area closest to Hunslet's factory in Leeds. By the end of the 1960s only a handful of locomotives had escaped conversion either by Hunslet or in the workshop at Allerton Bywater. Of the Austerities I can only think of Parkhill that wasn't converted. Any additional information welcome.

This austerity was RSH 7291 of 1945. It was delivered new to Longmoor and then purchased by Locke &co in 1946. Why it wasn't upgraded is a mystery. Perhaps it is because Parkhill's fleet consisted mostly of pre war Pecketts which didn't get these modifications.

Having spent longer than I thought it would I confirmed my suspicions that, in the pre 1967 organisation, Parkhill along with its connected colliery St John's, was in the number 7 Wakefield area hence excluded from what appears to be an area 8 / Hunslet initiative.

Edited by doilum
Additional information

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2021 at 10:04, doilum said:

Thanks. I may settle for the holes at present. Once seen they cannot be ignored.

I've just rewatched my copy of Industry of Steam - Yorkshire which has a section showing 'Antwerp' shunting at Wheldale, these holes are barely visible ìn this film and I could easily have mistaken them for a filcker in the film if you hadn't drawn my attention to it, certainly not as obvious as in the You Tube film.

Regards,

Ian.

2 minutes ago, 03060 said:

I've just rewatched my copy of Industry of Steam - Yorkshire which has a section showing 'Antwerp' shunting at Wheldale, these holes are barely visible ìn this film and I could easily have mistaken them for a filcker in the film if you hadn't drawn my attention to it, certainly not as obvious as in the You Tube film.

Regards,

Ian.

They had previously escaped my attention despite having built four, five if you include the 50550, and never turning down an opportunity to watch one in action on YouTube. My upgrades will start as soon as my remotoring project on Wild Swan is completed.

• Like 1

TBH, I have an interest in GCPS and combustion systems in general, so I guess I sort of inadvertently keep an eye out for it on NCB Austerities. Its not that common to see it so visible - probably due to some of the footage being taken at dusk.

• Like 1

I cannot say if the Hudswell Clarke locos had this modification as the side tanks cover the firebox sides. I may be able to find a photo or two of dismantled examples.

That took longer than I expected!!

The HC locos didn't have holes in the firebox. I found a great photo of Whitwood no 4 in kit form ready for despatch to the Nene Valley as a spares package.

It is incredibly difficult to identify these holes in the austerities although I found a good near side view of Diana showing them clearly. On the off side they hid behind the reversing link.

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1