70s Industrial steam

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Respite said:

Of serious concern is the fizzing firebox. That engine should not be in use.

I read that many years prior to this photo they were using a loco with a bulged firebox at this colliery

Perhaps not so surprising that "Llewellyn" did not survive into preservation...

Likewise ex-GWR pannier 9792 ran until the 70s in NCB South Wales Area until being condemned with a cracked frame and possibly cylinder block.  Photos of the time show a suspicious amount of steam leaking from the front end.  They really did run locos into the ground in the NCB.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/08/2021 at 19:46, montyburns56 said:

Port Of Par 1974 by Andy Kirkham

MAY 74 06. Bagnall 0-4-0ST Alfred with a Class 52 on the Par harbour branch, April 19 1974

MAY 74 04. Bagnall 0-4-0ST Alfred at the Port of Par, April 19 1974

I walked part of that. I guess the low profile was for the underpass from the sheds to the port. It's part of a footpath now, accessed via a small parking area outlined in black, across the works and leads to Spit point.

db0j6kg-ab1f7006-1919-41db-a327-29dd9e331525.png

footpath.jpg

spit car park.jpg

Edited by Carnforth
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Lots for students to study here.  Short trains: you don't have to have 100+ wagons to model a colliery. The lineside fence makes use of condemned winding cable. ( On Frydale I used florists wire as it has no memory). The stunted vegetation trying to get established on almost sterile coal waste, and the mechanical litter gently rusting away in the weeds. First radius curves with gradients to match. And the glorious colour......

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 19:38, montyburns56 said:

Talywain Colliery 1973 by George Woods

009 No.8 ISLWYN Talywain Colliery 4.4.73

011 No.8 ISLWYN Talywain Colliery 4.4.73

012 No.8 ISLWYN Talywain Colliery 4.4.73

015 No.8 ISLWYN Talywain Colliery 4.4.73

016 No.8 ISLWYN Talywain Colliery 4.4.73

017 No.8 ISLWYN Talywain Colliery 4.4.73

The system based upon Talywain served Blaenserchan Colliery, which was 'up in the hills' and until 1970 had the most basic of road connections, which meant the NCB ran a 'paddy train' from Talywain to Blaenserchan.

Blaenserchan was eventually linked underground to ( I think ) Six Bells  Colliery  and the line from  Golynos, near Talywain closed.

The lines from Talywain to Golynos and then the former LNWR Abersychan & Talywain station/exchange sidings remained open to serve the landsale yard at Talywain.

As shown in the photos, a loco was steamed for a couple of hours each morning to take empties from the landsale yard up the incline and reverse/run around before reaching the BR exchange sidings and swapping empties for loads which were then cautiously taken back down to Talywain landsale yard, and shunted.

All of this entailed a reversal inside the 'Big Arch' which ran (almost) beneath Abersychan & Talywain exchange sidings.

Eventually  the increasingly decrepit Barclay gave up the ghost, and that was it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, doilum said:

Did they burn oil as well as coal?

You can't light a boiler on coal (and no, they didn't generally use some newspapers, smashed up pallets and a match); they used normal heating oil for lighting up then transferred to coal.  As @Mark Saunderssays, they could and did run on either; during the 1984-85 Miner's strike, many ran on oil for significant periods to eke out the huge coal stockpiles for even longer.

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Ironbridge Power Station 1970 by Gordon Edgar

Ironbridge Power Station

I used to own that loco, Ironbridge No.3 (P1990/1940) so thanks for posting that photo as it brought back some happy memories.  Interestingly, well to me anyway, the numbers stamped on the motion suggested that it was really No.1 with the boiler, cab and tanks of No.3.  It went back to Telford when I moved to the I.o.M and is still there though long o.o.u.

Cheers,

Ray.

B-81-22 P1990  Steamport 10.81.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, doilum said:

Thanks. I should have paid more attention at the time. I don't recall oil trains running into Ferrybridge. They did have a standby generator powered by a Rolls Royce Olympus jet engine that could be heard from miles away!

Ferrybridge has a dedicated oil delivery siding! However when it was last used is another question!

Drax has one but probably not used since biomass became big there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heartened to see that many of the images in this thread are still here. This thread is an excellent source of inspiration and reference.

Not sure if that's due to them being hosted outside of RMWeb or due to those posting them having reuploaded. If the latter, a big thank you to you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Heartened to see that many of the images in this thread are still here. This thread is an excellent source of inspiration and reference.

Not sure if that's due to them being hosted outside of RMWeb or due to those posting them having reuploaded. If the latter, a big thank you to you.

Thanks, but It's because most of them are actually from Flickr and aren't hosted on RMWeb. The irony is that about a year or so ago some people were complaining about how we could lose the pictures if they were ever removed from Flickr. 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...